+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorhip 2 years period for relationship

chuckgates

Dec 25, 2019
I would like to apply for spousal visa for a person I want to marry. I would like some members who actually experienced the process to tell me ,do we actually need to be in relationship for 2 years before we can apply for this visa? It is a very long time for a long distance relationship . Is there any other option for it? I do not mean to apply for any other sponsorship visa or any other type of visa but any other option for same visa? what requirement does it need if we cannot stay apart for 2 years?

I know in some circumstances we can apply for the spouse as a tourist visa but chances of giving this visa to a single person is very low. and also other chances are low for me to apply for other visas for my spouse .
Do you have such a personal experience yourself?
Please, I am asking for a personal experience of your own case.
I know I have to marry before applying for the visa and it is not my question.
Also,I know it is not a good idea to apply for temporary tourist visa for my spouse.thanks for the help.
Also,I am not sure if 2 years is a must because application for spouse sponsorship shows it too.

please if you have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with your own case.
Please do not throw common sense here such as if I am not married ,then she or he is not a spouse .
I am asking clear question . supposedly you marry a person ,do you need to wait for 2 years?Have you done such a case for yourself and what was your experience if you could not wait for too long .
and of course I cannot move out to live in another country for 1 year. I have jobs ,etc here that are established and I cannot leave them.
I am looking into your own personal case of sponsorship experience.if you used a lawyer what was his idea?
I am pretty much sure a lot people had such personal experience with spouse relationship.
please,it is not solving a maze.thanks

Last edited:

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
You must marry first before applying for the spousal sponsorship. You can also apply for a TRV but the chances of it getting approved are very low.

andrew3081

Apr 6, 2018
You can not live with her in her country?
If you live with her for one year, you can try common law sponsorship which is same as spouse sponsorship

Crystel13

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
If you are married, even if it hasn't been 2 years, you can still sponsor your spouse or be sponsored. I've been with my husband 3 years and we got married. We submitted the application about one month after the marriage. There is no requirement of how long you need to be married BEFORE sponsoring or being sponsored. Except that after the PR is given, if your marriage is recently new, they expect you to stay together. If you divorce within 2 years after the PR is granted, you can lose the residency.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I would like to apply for spousal visa for a person I want to marry. I would like some members who actually experienced the process to tell me ,do we actually need to be in relationship for 2 years before we can apply for this visa? It is a very long time for a long distance relationship . Is there any other option for it? I do not mean to apply for any other sponsorship visa or any other type of visa but any other option for same visa? what requirement does it need if we cannot stay apart for 2 years?

I know in some circumstances we can apply for the spouse as a tourist visa but chances of giving this visa to a single person is very low. and also other chances are low for me to apply for other visas for my spouse .
Do you have such a personal experience yourself?
Please, I am asking for a personal experience of your own case.
I know I have to marry before applying for the visa and it is not my question.
Also,I know it is not a good idea to apply for temporary tourist visa for my spouse.thanks for the help.
Also,I am not sure if 2 years is a must because application for spouse sponsorship shows it too.

please if you have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with your own case.
Please do not throw common sense here such as if I am not married ,then she or he is not a spouse .
I am asking clear question . supposedly you marry a person ,do you need to wait for 2 years?Have you done such a case for yourself and what was your experience if you could not wait for too long .
and of course I cannot move out to live in another country for 1 year. I have jobs ,etc here that are established and I cannot leave them.
I am looking into your own personal case of sponsorship experience.if you used a lawyer what was his idea?
I am pretty much sure a lot people had such personal experience with spouse relationship.
please,it is not solving a maze.thanks
There is no minimum relationship length. However, if it has been a very quick long-distance relationship with little time in person, marriage on first visit, spouse from marriage-risk country etc., then you will face significantly higher scrutiny.

Jobs are not a reason to not move to be with the person you supposedly love and want to be with.

What is the actual relationship history?

chuckgates

Dec 25, 2019
folks ,please I appreciate your help.but just to give an answer for the sake of answer it is not working . I understand your good intention to help but I am clearly asking if you have personal experience with such a case .
If you are married, even if it hasn't been 2 years, you can still sponsor your spouse or be sponsored. I've been with my husband 3 years and we got married. We submitted the application about one month after the marriage. There is no requirement of how long you need to be married BEFORE sponsoring or being sponsored. Except that after the PR is given, if your marriage is recently new, they expect you to stay together. If you divorce within 2 years after the PR is granted, you can lose the residency.
wow amazing ,so my understanding is if I am not married for 2 years with my partner ,still Canadian immigration will accept my file and will let my spouse to get into the country . is that true?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
folks ,please I appreciate your help.but just to give an answer for the sake of answer it is not working . I understand your good intention to help but I am clearly asking if you have personal experience with such a case .

wow amazing ,so my understanding is if I am not married for 2 years with my partner ,still Canadian immigration will accept my file and will let my spouse to get into the country . is that true?
Advice on this forum is provided by volunteers in their own time for free, which means you get the answers that you get and not always from people with personal experience with your situation. If you need such personalized assistance, go pay a lawyer or consultant.

As very clearly answered above AND as indicated by actually reading the guide, you don't need to be married for 2 years.

No one here can guarantee that your spouse will be allowed into the country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How much time have you spent together in person? Is there any red flags to your relationship like different religions, large age gap, etc.? Is the person living in a country where people are seeking to leave? Has your future spouse tried to work, study or immigrate to Canada already? These are the questions that are more important versus the length of relationship.

Crystel13

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
There is no minimum relationship length. However, if it has been a very quick long-distance relationship with little time in person, marriage on first visit, spouse from marriage-risk country etc., then you will face significantly higher scrutiny.

Jobs are not a reason to not move to be with the person you supposedly love and want to be with.

What is the actual relationship history?
I do not necessarily agree with you. Sometimes you really love a person. Yet if you can't work where your partner is, it makes it hard. Life is not free. If you can't earn money, it puts a lot of pressure on an individual and a couple.

Distance is not a reason that justifies a lack of love between two individuals.

Yes, they will still accept your file. They accepted ours, but your relationship has to be genuine and you need enough proofs to prove it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I do not necessarily agree with you. Sometimes you really love a person. Yet if you can't work where your partner is, it makes it hard. Life is not free. If you can't earn money, it puts a lot of pressure on an individual and a couple.

Distance is not a reason that justifies a lack of love between two individuals.

Yes, they will still accept your file. They accepted ours, but your relationship has to be genuine and you need enough proofs to prove it.
Yes, it could be hard, but people sacrifice to be together. My partner and I moved country 3 times to be together. We quit jobs and went into quite a bit of debt because of it but we did what we had to to be together.

Reactions: smallcoffee