+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal PR outland application

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Hello all,

I am a canadian PR who is about to submit an application for my spouse who is currently not in Canada. Once All the process is over and I receive my AOR, I can leave the country for a month and come back? I am aware you can take a short vacation but not sure if it causes any problems to our spousal PR application.

Thank you

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Unfortunately there isn't an exact answer to your question. A couple of weeks out of country should be fine, but a month could be an issue. Ultimately it's up to the IRCC agent assigned to your case.

My recommendation? Don't be out of the country longer than 2 weeks while your spouse has an active PR application processing. Maybe take your trip before you submit the application?

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Unfortunately there isn't an exact answer to your question. A couple of weeks out of country should be fine, but a month could be an issue. Ultimately it's up to the IRCC agent assigned to your case.

My recommendation? Don't be out of the country longer than 2 weeks while your spouse has an active PR application processing. Maybe take your trip before you submit the application?
Thanks for clarifying. My wife is undergoing a medical procedure so want to be there with her during that time. I will keep it to 2 weeks

Alokuk692

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Thanks for clarifying. My wife is undergoing a medical procedure so want to be there with her during that time. I will keep it to 2 weeks
It seems like your visit to your home country is during a critical situation. As there is no fixed guideline on how long you can stay, I would say be there for as long as you can justify the need to be there. If you are in Canada then submit the application and then it's okay to go. I am sure if you have a job and rented a place in Canada it shows that you have strong ties here and are just going home for a necessary travel.

Alokuk692

Star Member
Sep 9, 2015
Also I think it helps substantiate your marriage as you are going all the way home to take care of your spouse.

Underhill

Feb 5, 2020
Vancouver, BC
It seems like your visit to your home country is during a critical situation. As there is no fixed guideline on how long you can stay, I would say be there for as long as you can justify the need to be there. If you are in Canada then submit the application and then it's okay to go. I am sure if you have a job and rented a place in Canada it shows that you have strong ties here and are just going home for a necessary travel.
Unfortunately the fate of the OP's PR application is mostly up to the IRCC agent assigned to the case. If they decide against the application because the sponsor has been out of the country too long during the application process the decision would need to be appealed. Lawyers will likely need to be hired, and whether the decision is reversed or not, plan on potentially years of appeals process.

I agree that being with your spouse while dealing with a medical issue is paramount, which is why I suggest they submit the application after the sponsor returns to Canada.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Unfortunately the fate of the OP's PR application is mostly up to the IRCC agent assigned to the case. If they decide against the application because the sponsor has been out of the country too long during the application process the decision would need to be appealed. Lawyers will likely need to be hired, and whether the decision is reversed or not, plan on potentially years of appeals process.
Frankly appeal would almost certainly be longer, costly, and pointless from the perspective of actually getting PR status for one's spouse [add: in a reasonable period of time].

If someone really, really wanted to make a legal point and establish some public record that it's okay to go ahead and travel and some guidelines about what 'short trips' [per the regulations] means exactly - great, go ahead - but keeping in mind that you wont' get damages, immigration appeals are mostly outside the scope of typical legal precedent, and etc. But I strongly doubt anyone is going to do so when they could just re-apply and be done more quickly.

And hence keep in mind: if appeals don't make sense, then any arguments about 'well I could demonstrate I'm really resident in CAnada and they should consider I [long list of reasons I'm reisdent even if not physically present]' are irrelevant (since you won't get a chance to argue that point).

[Leaving aside that the counter-argument from IRCC case is that physical presence is the rule for compliance with residency obligations, and hence simple plain language reading of 'must be resident in Canada to sponsor' is that it also means physical presence. H&C exemptions do not apply to the physical presence test - they are clearly treated as exceptions to physical presence, not an extension of physical presence. Note, I don't mean to litigate this issue here - I'm just saying the IRCC legal position - if one chooses to challenge via appeal - is a really simple and powerful legal argument (whether or not it is a winning argument, it is one that very much could convince a tribunal/court.]

I agree that being with your spouse while dealing with a medical issue is paramount, which is why I suggest they submit the application after the sponsor returns to Canada.
Yep. Sponsors doing so should recognize that esp with medical issues in covid times, you might get stuck outside Canada for longer. Since appeals arent' really effective in this case (as above - because other solutions better), well, draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Underhill

allenkonax

May 1, 2020
Hello all,

I am a permanent resident living in Canada and has submitted an full application via the cic online portal on Oct 28 2021 for my spouse living outside Canada. Got a submission confirmation from IRCC but Haven’t received any communication from then. Any insights
Also just was wondering, wheather I can apply for a visitor visa if it’s taking too long.

kindly guide

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello all,

I am a permanent resident living in Canada and has submitted an full application via the cic online portal on Oct 28 2021 for my spouse living outside Canada. Got a submission confirmation from IRCC but Haven’t received any communication from then. Any insights
Also just was wondering, wheather I can apply for a visitor visa if it’s taking too long.

kindly guide
You don't say when you got the submission confirmation, so hard to say - if it was recent (and judging by date probably was) then normal and just wait.

Visitor visa: sure, apply.

allenkonax

May 1, 2020
You don't say when you got the submission confirmation, so hard to say - if it was recent (and judging by date probably was) then normal and just wait.

Visitor visa: sure, apply.
Hai
Thanks for the reply , got the submission confirmation on the same date Oct 28 2021 but from then no communication also, since I don’t have the UCI it’s not possible to create the tracker profile.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hai
Thanks for the reply , got the submission confirmation on the same date Oct 28 2021 but from then no communication also, since I don’t have the UCI it’s not possible to create the tracker profile.
Ah, you are still waiting on AOR1. Up to 90 days perfectly normal for that, so again - current stage is to wait.

Also you woulnd't get anything from logging in or be able to log in until AOR1 anyway.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks a lot , but just saying 90 days is past but guess have to wait as you say
Ah yes, my bad calendar math. My suggestion would be to check the tracker - compare only to online apps which have been taking longer - and if almost all have already received AOR, call IRCC to see if you can get temporary application number. If it's eg closer to half have received AOR, you're still in normla territory.

(it seems to me - but not certain, don't follow that closely - some timelines have been shifting some with more delays at this stage)

allenkonax

May 1, 2020
Ah yes, my bad calendar math. My suggestion would be to check the tracker - compare only to online apps which have been taking longer - and if almost all have already received AOR, call IRCC to see if you can get temporary application number. If it's eg closer to half have received AOR, you're still in normla territory.

(it seems to me - but not certain, don't follow that closely - some timelines have been shifting some with more delays at this stage)
Thanks much will do