+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal PR application while I'm not in Canada

cprasp

Jul 6, 2015
Hello Guys,

I have been living in India since March 2020 and I would like to apply for Spousal PR from here so that we can both travel together next year or so when her PR comes through. Is this possible? This is to have clarity when planning for my return next year.

Also, there is slight chance that I will not return, at-least not for foreseeable future. So, if I don't go back to Canada in next 2 years, will my PR get cancelled? I have fulfilled the 800+ days since my original landing.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Guys,

I have been living in India since March 2020 and I would like to apply for Spousal PR from here so that we can both travel together next year or so when her PR comes through. Is this possible? This is to have clarity when planning for my return next year.

Also, there is slight chance that I will not return, at-least not for foreseeable future. So, if I don't go back to Canada in next 2 years, will my PR get cancelled? I have fulfilled the 800+ days since my original landing.

Thanks!
It's not possible unfortunately. Since you are a PR, you must be living in Canada in order to submit the application to sponsor your spouse.

To meet the residency obligation, you have to live in Canada for 2 out of every rolling 5 years. If you don't meet the residency obligation, this doesn't mean your PR status is automatically canceled - however it does start becoming more and more difficult to keep PR the longer you fail to meet the residency requirement. Note that you must also be in compliance with the residency requirement in order to sponsor a spouse once you return to Canada.

Reactions: cprasp

cprasp

Jul 6, 2015
It's not possible unfortunately. Since you are a PR, you must be living in Canada in order to submit the application to sponsor your spouse.

To meet the residency obligation, you have to live in Canada for 2 out of every rolling 5 years. If you don't meet the residency obligation, this doesn't mean your PR status is automatically canceled - however it does start becoming more and more difficult to keep PR the longer you fail to meet the residency requirement. Note that you must also be in compliance with the residency requirement in order to sponsor a spouse once you return to Canada.
Thank you for the detailed response!!