+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal PR, AOR & OPW questions

hanniemac

Sep 5, 2023
Hello! I’m new here! I’ve submitted our application for sponsoring my husbands spousal PR beginning of July. August 24th, I (the sponsor) received an email with the subject line:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada: Information about (application number inserted here) Correspondence Id: (number inserted here)

All it said in this email is the UCI number at the top left, underneath that was the application number, and then a short blurb

‘Dear (insert name here),

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2023/07/08 on behalf of the following member(s):

(Insert my husband name here)’

and that’s it!! Everything I’ve read about the Acknowledgment of Receipt is that it’s a letter or a formal PDF attachment.

does this email count as an AOR? Could we use it to apply for Open Work Permit? Also his visitor record expires December 8th… if we applied for the OPW does that automatically extend his residency status? Or do we also have to apply for an extension of his Visitor Record separately?

More background info, he received an email the same day as I received that generic email saying they’ve requested a Hong Kong police certificate (Hong kong you need to have an official immigration request in order to get a police certificate)… I’m also wondering if the reason the email sent to me (the sponsor) was unclear is because they’re waiting to send the official AOR until after they’ve received that? Is the AOR sent to sponsor or applicant or both?

Sorry for all the questions, hope this all makes sense!

Eva Tunisia

Jun 24, 2023
Hello! I’m new here! I’ve submitted our application for sponsoring my husbands spousal PR beginning of July. August 24th, I (the sponsor) received an email with the subject line:

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada: Information about (application number inserted here) Correspondence Id: (number inserted here)

All it said in this email is the UCI number at the top left, underneath that was the application number, and then a short blurb

‘Dear (insert name here),

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2023/07/08 on behalf of the following member(s):

(Insert my husband name here)’

and that’s it!! Everything I’ve read about the Acknowledgment of Receipt is that it’s a letter or a formal PDF attachment.

does this email count as an AOR? Could we use it to apply for Open Work Permit? Also his visitor record expires December 8th… if we applied for the OPW does that automatically extend his residency status? Or do we also have to apply for an extension of his Visitor Record separately?

More background info, he received an email the same day as I received that generic email saying they’ve requested a Hong Kong police certificate (Hong kong you need to have an official immigration request in order to get a police certificate)… I’m also wondering if the reason the email sent to me (the sponsor) was unclear is because they’re waiting to send the official AOR until after they’ve received that? Is the AOR sent to sponsor or applicant or both?

Sorry for all the questions, hope this all makes sense!
1- Yes it is your AOR,and you can use it to apply for an OWP
2- The OWP is a seperate application, dosen't extand anything you need to apply for extension of visitor record seperately. but You can apply ASAP for OWP, you might get an approval before the end of your current vistor record and you won't need to apply for an extension.
4- if you have an application number means they accepted your application and other documents as Police certificate in your case can be added later on to your file.
5- Only the sponsor gets an AOR, in the family class category

Reactions: YVR123

Wilfred94

Jan 29, 2024
1- Yes it is your AOR,and you can use it to apply for an OWP
2- The OWP is a seperate application, dosen't extand anything you need to apply for extension of visitor record seperately. but You can apply ASAP for OWP, you might get an approval before the end of your current vistor record and you won't need to apply for an extension.
4- if you have an application number means they accepted your application and other documents as Police certificate in your case can be added later on to your file.
5- Only the sponsor gets an AOR, in the family class category
I got the same email but no official AOR PDF. For the OWP do I just upload the screenshot of the email? online it says upload the AOR pdf in the "supporting document" section.