+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal OWP and Re-entry

rusbear

Jul 11, 2009
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know that the same question has been asked several times but I still have doubts.

I'm in INLAND prosess. They are sending to me the OWP.
Will I be allowed to go to my home country because of emergency and come BACK by using OWP as kind of travel document?

Is it 100% "no" or any chance or conditions for "yes"?

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
it depends on that if you are from visa exempt country or not.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know an open work permit does not waive the TRV requirement. It's better to wait until you are a PR before you travel.

rusbear

Jul 11, 2009
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I wouldn't ask if did not get today a strange or unexpectable advice from the call centre. I told them about the circumstances and they calmed me down. They said that soon I'll get my OWP and will be able go to my home country...

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know much about this as I am from a visa-free country, but I thought an OWP did not waive the TRV requirement... Better double-check this before you leave.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rusbear said:
I wouldn't ask if did not get today a strange or unexpectable advice from the call centre. I told them about the circumstances and they calmed me down. They said that soon I'll get my OWP and will be able go to my home country...
You stated that you require a TRV (visitor visa) to enter Canada, the OWP doesn;t overcome that requirement. If you leave Canada, there is a very good chance that you will NOT be issued a TRV ,which means your "in-Canada" application is over and your sponsor will have to reapply as an "out of Canada"

PMM

rusbear

Jul 11, 2009
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for replies.

to PMM:
Do you think that the guy from the Call Center was wrong? Or it could work for a visa exempt country?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rusbear said:
Thanks for replies.

to PMM:
Do you think that the guy from the Call Center was wrong? Or it could work for a visa exempt country?
He was wrong, you would require a valid TRV to enter Canada. It could work for a visa exempt country, but there is no guarantee then that the person would be readmitted. With "in-Canada" spousal applications you are supposed to remain in Canada.

PMM

wasted_year

Nov 19, 2009
That guy from the call center should be fired for that bit of misinformation and false hope!

An OWP has nothing to do with re-entry into the country. My husband is from the UK and we did the inland route and after a year of waiting he finally got his OWP. It says on the OWP that this does not guarantee re-entry into the country.