+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal open work permit vs Visitor visa

kenyanstudent1

Jul 2, 2019
Hello,

I am an international student and have received my student visa. My spouse wishes to join me in Canada. Ideally she would like to come along with me on the same flight. I plan to fly out in around 10 days time.

I was wondering what the best way to go about that would be.

Is it better to apply for her spousal work permit from my home country or apply for a visitor visa first and then apply for her spousal work permit while she's in Canada?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I am an international student and have received my student visa. My spouse wishes to join me in Canada. Ideally she would like to come along with me on the same flight. I plan to fly out in around 10 days time.

I was wondering what the best way to go about that would be.

Is it better to apply for her spousal work permit from my home country or apply for a visitor visa first and then apply for her spousal work permit while she's in Canada?

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Have you checked processing times? A TRV is currently at 20 days, plus mailing time, plus biometrics time. A work permit is at 7 weeks. Your wife is not travelling with you.

kenyanstudent1

Jul 2, 2019
Have you checked processing times? A TRV is currently at 20 days, plus mailing time, plus biometrics time. A work permit is at 7 weeks. Your wife is not travelling with you.
Yes, you're right. So the ideal situation won't materialise I realise. Next best thing is that she joins as soon as possible. That would be through the visitor. My concern is whether she would be able to apply for an open work permit while she's there as a visitor without any problems? Also, can I start applying for her visitor visa while I'm still in my home country or do I have to wait to get to Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, you're right. So the ideal situation won't materialise I realise. Next best thing is that she joins as soon as possible. That would be through the visitor. My concern is whether she would be able to apply for an open work permit while she's there as a visitor without any problems? Also, can I start applying for her visitor visa while I'm still in my home country or do I have to wait to get to Canada?
If she is approved for a TRV and comes to Canada, she can apply for an OWP without issue.

She can apply now.

kenyanstudent1

Jul 2, 2019
If she is approved for a TRV and comes to Canada, she can apply for an OWP without issue.

She can apply now.
Great! Thanks for the feedback.

Would she need a letter from me to apply for her TRV? I'm not sure how to go about it given we are still currently in the same country.