+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Open Work Permit /PR

martinmatthew

Dec 16, 2018
Hi,

I am ICT on closed WP and wife is on Open WP based on my WP (currently non-working). We both have a year left in our visas.

I plan to get Open WP and then PR, CRS of 300 and no possibility of PNP.

Can I apply for Open WP in parallel or do I need to quit job for that ?

Any other means to achieve my goal of PR ?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I am ICT on closed WP and wife is on Open WP based on my WP (currently non-working). We both have a year left in our visas.

I plan to get Open WP and then PR, CRS of 300 and no possibility of PNP.

Can I apply for Open WP in parallel or do I need to quit job for that ?

Any other means to achieve my goal of PR ?

Thanks
On what basis do you plan on getting an open work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If a quit job then based on my spouse WP ?

Not sure that if she has to start job for that.
That won't work.

You can't apply for an open work permit based on your spouse's open work permit. Your spouse would need to switch to a closed work permit (presumably based on an approved LMIA) in order for you to qualify for an open work permit. And yes - she would have to be working in a NOC A, B or 0 job.

martinmatthew

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks Scylla, if my spouse moves to Closed WP then can I apply for Open WP in parallel while on Closed WP ?

On a different note do employers consider closed WP candidates ? I am in niche skill.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla, if my spouse moves to Closed WP then can I apply for Open WP in parallel while on Closed WP ?

On a different note do employers consider closed WP candidates ? I am in niche skill.
If your wife successfully switches to a closed work permit, then yes - you can apply for an OWP while still on a closed work permit. You should note that it's generally next to impossible to find an employer willing to go through the LMIA process (so that your wife can switch to a close work permit). Also - the process typically takes 4-6 months to complete end to end with no guarantee of approval.

I don't understand your second question.

Reactions: martinmatthew

martinmatthew

Dec 16, 2018
My second question was that if I can explore roles (not sure if LMIA would play role) and switch on closed WP.

Further based on offer and willingness of future employer can apply for PNP like BC PNP and get enough points for PR.

Else I see end of road for Canadian Dream.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
My second question was that if I can explore roles (not sure if LMIA would play role) and switch on closed WP.

Further based on offer and willingness of future employer can apply for PNP like BC PNP and get enough points for PR.

Else I see end of road for Canadian Dream.
How do you only have 300 points in your CRS? You've presumably got at least a few years of work experience in Canada, and in an ICT field. You should be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class and have way more points than that.

Can you provide a breakdown of your CRS score?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Use this tool and double check your CRS Scores. What's dragging you down? I've finding it hard to get below 461 even when I assume you're 35, have only 1 year of Canadian experience, your wife has no Canadian experience, and both of you only have Bachelor's degrees.

Is it the IELTS? I assumed the CLB 10 for the 461.

martinmatthew

Dec 16, 2018
I am 43 and first year in Canada. Wife ECA not done , not sure how much it will help.

Breakdown as follows :

Core/Human capital factors
  • Age = 25
  • Level of education = 112
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 98
    • First Official Language = 98
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 235

Spouse factors
  • Level of education = 0
  • First Official Languages = 12
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 12

Skill transferability factors
Education
  • A) Official Language proficiency and education = 13
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 13

Foreign work experience
  • A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 25
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 25

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 38

Comprehensive Ranking System formula
Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 285

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0

Grand total = 285

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Ah ok, you're a lot older than I assumed and you don't have work experience in Canada. But you should have work experience abroad, right?

If both you and your spouse max out your IELTS, and you get her (Bachelors?) degree evaluated, you will get 406 points. That's still not a lot, but if you can get 50 points for an LMIA job.. you're looking at 456 which should be enough.

Also, if your wife works for a year in Canada, she can be the principle applicant. She's (presumably) younger, and your Canadian experience will add to her scores.

I'm not saying that it will be easy - you're obviously a lot older than the average EE candidate, but it's not impossible either. Especially since you seem to want to live the Canadian dream - it's not completely out of your reach yet.

Good luck and ask me any question you may have!

Here's the breakdown I did for you:

Core/Human capital factors
  • Age = 15
  • Level of education = 112
  • Study in Canada = undefined
  • Official Languages = 128
    • First Official Language = 128
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 35
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 290

Spouse factors
  • Level of education = 8
  • First Official Languages = 20
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 28

Skill transferability factors
Education
  • A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 13
Subtotal = 38

Foreign work experience
  • A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 25
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 88

Comprehensive Ranking System formula
Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 406

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0

Grand total = 406

martinmatthew

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks 21Goose for your time.

I was thinking if can do distant / part time Executive MBA and get Open Work Permit for 3 years ?

Also seriously contemplating full time MBA if distant one doesn't helps.

Your thoughts ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks 21Goose for your time.

I was thinking if can do distant / part time Executive MBA and get Open Work Permit for 3 years ?

Also seriously contemplating full time MBA if distant one doesn't helps.

Your thoughts ?
You should probably start a new thread for this discussion, but I'll answer this one. It's hard to give you specific advice since I don't know your family situation, income, savings, etc.

What I will say is that you need to look at the various ways in which you can quickly qualify under the CEC.

You're fighting against time and getting an E-MBA or MBA may not be the best use of your time. Of course, there are many variables that go into this kind of decision and you have to decide for yourself.

What about making your wife the principle applicant? Does she have foreign work experience? If yes, and she works here for a year (and she's 3-4 years younger than you), she will have a lot of points.

The various PNP programs are always an option though I think they usually want younger candidates.

martinmatthew

Dec 16, 2018
Thanks again 21Goose, I will open new thread but if you can answer this last one.

Wife is same age as me , due to certain family/health issues I don't expect her to work.

I am on 90 K CAD per annum package and I think can afford 35 K CAD fees for MBA after using my savings and working 20 hrs a week to sustain self and family with 3 kids.

CEC not sure as my role in Canada ends by July end (1 yr and few days), will have to take call and act fast.

PNP ones need company support which is almost impossible to get.

Not sure if there are any more options in my context.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks again 21Goose, I will open new thread but if you can answer this last one.

Wife is same age as me , due to certain family/health issues I don't expect her to work.

I am on 90 K CAD per annum package and I think can afford 35 K CAD fees for MBA after using my savings and working 20 hrs a week to sustain self and family with 3 kids.

CEC not sure as my role in Canada ends by July end (1 yr and few days), will have to take call and act fast.

PNP ones need company support which is almost impossible to get.

Not sure if there are any more options in my context.
Yes, there's no doubt that it will be difficult for you simply because of your age and family circumstances. Do your research and understand your options so at least you won't feel like you missed out because of something you could control. You can't do anything about your age and your family situation, but you can max your IELTS, and do an MBA to get a better job and more points.

You may consider talking to an immigration professional (lawyer/consultant) to get some professional advice. It'll probably cost a couple hundred for the initial consultation, but in your case it might be worth it. Or just ask lots of questions here - plenty of experienced people around who can help you out.

Good luck with everything.