+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal financial support

Tricia Quinn

Aug 9, 2019
As Canuck is saying- I'm looking for a way to show proof of a joint relationship, which is why I was asking about proof of financial support, because that is one of the options for showing proof of the relationship. I am NOT working because I am here on a visitor Visa right now and can't work until I apply for PR and get a work permit. With spousal sponsorship and no dependents, I don't HAVE to show that she can financially support me, it's just an option for showing that we have a genuine relationship. Thank you for your help and input tho!

Think you are missing the point of my post. In many modern relationships one spouse, usually the wife, is not financially dependent on their spouse so don’t have proof of sending money to the spouse, money transfers, joint accounts, etc. It is perfectly acceptable to say that both husband and wife are working and have their own savings and don’t need to transfer money to support the other one or have joint accounts.

Reactions: canuck78

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
As Canuck is saying- I'm looking for a way to show proof of a joint relationship, which is why I was asking about proof of financial support, because that is one of the options for showing proof of the relationship. I am NOT working because I am here on a visitor Visa right now and can't work until I apply for PR and get a work permit. With spousal sponsorship and no dependents, I don't HAVE to show that she can financially support me, it's just an option for showing that we have a genuine relationship. Thank you for your help and input tho!
Which is what I have been saying from the beginning, I hope.

I used examples of expenses I incurred for my wife, such as memberships, cell phone bills, and other things she can't qualify for as she has no credit rating in Canada nor a SIN to qualify. I also included money transfers and gifts I sent her while she was overseas.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
To phrase things here a slightly different way: in lots of countries, "joint" accounts - especially things like utilities and rent and whatnot, and some places even bank accounts - do not really exist. They are either in the name of one partner or another. My spouse and I split lots of expenses, but this is more by our personal custom - you do this set of bills, I do that.

I approached this by including receipts for things that were clearly joint or things I had paid for (directly) that were in her name. In one case, where we paid things alternating months or trips where I paid for plane, spouse for hotel. (We're really not that formal about it as alternating, it usually just more convenient for us this way)

All just a way of showing that we shared expenses, hope this helps.

Reactions: k.h.p.