+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal financial support

Tricia Quinn

Aug 9, 2019
How would you go about showing proof that your Canadian spouse is financially supporting you? Just struggling to find one more of the documents to prove a genuine relationship.

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
How would you go about showing proof that your Canadian spouse is financially supporting you? Just struggling to find one more of the documents to prove a genuine relationship.
I put copies of printouts (A4 format document) from Western Union for all years

Tricia Quinn

Aug 9, 2019
I am very close to done, but this is my last hold up. We put my name on an energy bill, but it was right as they were generating the bill for this month, so we won't actually have a bill with my name on it until next month. I've looked into getting a driver's license, but I would have to get a driving record from the states, which will take awhile to get in the mail. It doesn't look like I can add my name to her bank account, we would have to open a joint account. So we would have to find time to go in together, and I'm not sure if there will be issues since I'm not a PR yet. She has been making Paypal payments to my US account, so I thought maybe if I printed out a record of those payments- do you think that would be enough? I'm just trying to figure out what we can do quickly so we can get this thing off in the mail.

Thank you for your help!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am very close to done, but this is my last hold up. We put my name on an energy bill, but it was right as they were generating the bill for this month, so we won't actually have a bill with my name on it until next month. I've looked into getting a driver's license, but I would have to get a driving record from the states, which will take awhile to get in the mail. It doesn't look like I can add my name to her bank account, we would have to open a joint account. So we would have to find time to go in together, and I'm not sure if there will be issues since I'm not a PR yet. She has been making Paypal payments to my US account, so I thought maybe if I printed out a record of those payments- do you think that would be enough? I'm just trying to figure out what we can do quickly so we can get this thing off in the mail.

Thank you for your help!
You don’t need proof that you are financially supporting each other. If both of you have worked and have savings just say that. Perfectly acceptable answer.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You don’t need proof that you are financially supporting each other. If both of you have worked and have savings just say that. Perfectly acceptable answer.
Financial support is one of the proof of relationship options. This isn't the question about the sponsor ability to cover the PA's costs in lieu of proof of employment.

Reactions: Belarusian

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Financial support is one of the proof of relationship options. This isn't the question about the sponsor ability to cover the PA's costs in lieu of proof of employment.
Think you are missing the point of my post. In many modern relationships one spouse, usually the wife, is not financially dependent on their spouse so don’t have proof of sending money to the spouse, money transfers, joint accounts, etc. It is perfectly acceptable to say that both husband and wife are working and have their own savings and don’t need to transfer money to support the other one or have joint accounts.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Think you are missing the point of my post. In many modern relationships one spouse, usually the wife, is not financially dependent on their spouse so don’t have proof of sending money to the spouse, money transfers, joint accounts, etc. It is perfectly acceptable to say that both husband and wife are working and have their own savings and don’t need to transfer money to support the other one or have joint accounts.
I think you're missing the point of my post - saying that would not suffice for the "financial support" option in proving the relationship, which is an option along with "important documents" and "property ownership" documents, but it would work when demonstrating financial capacity to sponsor.

Reactions: Belarusian

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think you're missing the point of my post - saying that would not suffice for the "financial support" option in proving the relationship, which is an option along with "important documents" and "property ownership" documents, but it would work when demonstrating financial capacity to sponsor.
Don’t think that they are trying to prove financial capacity. They are going through the checklist of proof that they are in a relationship.

Grace2019

Aug 14, 2019
Visa Office......
Pretoria
you can show insurance documents even a proof that you both opened a joint account that too can help .

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Don’t think that they are trying to prove financial capacity. They are going through the checklist of proof that they are in a relationship.
Yes. Which is why saying "we make enough money so we don't need to support each other" would not suffice as proof of financial support to prove the relationship.

Reactions: Grace2019

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes. Which is why saying "we make enough money so we don't need to support each other" would not suffice as proof of financial support to prove the relationship.
This is part of the proof of a genuine relationship section not the financial section. There is a checklist of things like like proof of money transfers to spouse over the course of the relationship, joint accounts, receipts for gifts, receipts for travel to see each other, spouses name on life insurance, etc. Proof that you can support yourself without government help is a separate issue and needs to be addressed separately.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
This is part of the proof of a genuine relationship section not the financial section. There is a checklist of things like like proof of money transfers to spouse over the course of the relationship, joint accounts, receipts for gifts, receipts for travel to see each other, spouses name on life insurance, etc. Proof that you can support yourself without government help is a separate issue and needs to be addressed separately.
We are now saying the same thing but I don't think you realize it.

Like you've said above, the proof of relationship section allows you to provide proof of financial support as one way to prove the relationship is genuine.

Your suggestion that an applicant can just say "we make enough money ourselves and have savings" will not be acceptable proof of financial support to prove the relationship.

Your specific quote:
You don’t need proof that you are financially supporting each other. If both of you have worked and have savings just say that. Perfectly acceptable answer
This is not a "perfectly acceptable answer" to provide proof of financial support to prove the relationship is genuine.

Joint accounts, transfers from one to another, one person paying both people's cell phone bills, joint expenses on gifts and travel - all of that is proof of financial support.

They cannot simply say they work and have savings and leave it at that.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
And I hate to quote myself, but this is what I said in post 7: