+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal CoPR :: COVID-19 Travel Ban

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Hi Experts, could you give your advice for the following case:

My wife has got her CoPR and immigrant visa stamped. Her flight is due on 3rd April 2020. I want to know:

If my wife (who is my immediate family member) is exempted from recent Canadian govt. travel ban and can travel and land in Canada?

If due to the prevailing situation, God forbid, she is unable to travel then whether there are exemptions or the PR application will be restarted again after travel document expiry?

They have the following status on their site:

Workers, students and approved permanent residents who haven’t landed should not travel yet. We’ve announced exemptions but they’re not in place. Travel restrictions are still in effect for these groups.

Only Canadian citizens, and permanent residents, and some foreign nationals travelling from the United States (US) who have been in the US for at least 14 days and are asymptomatic, are able to enter Canada by air at this time [23rd March 2020 status]

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi Experts, could you give your advice for the following case:

My wife has got her CoPR and immigrant visa stamped. Her flight is due on 3rd April 2020. I want to know:

If my wife (who is my immediate family member) is exempted from recent Canadian govt. travel ban and can travel and land in Canada?

If due to the prevailing situation, God forbid, she is unable to travel then whether there are exemptions or the PR application will be restarted again after travel document expiry?
Immediate family members of PRs are under one of the first exemptions which is already in place. That said, you still have to get on a plane, and airlines are cancelling flights and not always up to current exemptiosn and documents required. If they are not sure, they will not let you board.

The announcement above specifically related to approved PRs (i.e. COPR/visa holders) that are not immediate family members, and when announced, the government said the measures are not yet in place.

So to summarize: she may be able to travel and if she is, would be let in at the border. But no guarantees and the situation is changing day by day.

Yes, IRCC has announced that 'some arrangement' will be made for those unable to travel. Previous threads have addressed this.Those in this situation should write in webform and explain why they were unable to travel.

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Immediate family members of PRs are under one of the first exemptions which is already in place. That said, you still have to get on a plane, and airlines are cancelling flights and not always up to current exemptiosn and documents required. If they are not sure, they will not let you board.

The announcement above specifically related to approved PRs (i.e. COPR/visa holders) that are not immediate family members, and when announced, the government said the measures are not yet in place.

So to summarize: she may be able to travel and if she is, would be let in at the border. But no guarantees and the situation is changing day by day.

Yes, IRCC has announced that 'some arrangement' will be made for those unable to travel. Previous threads have addressed this.Those in this situation should write in webform and explain why they were unable to travel.
You mean if she has available flight she is already under the exemption category which is not currently banned? I am confused with their statement where they say the the announced exemptions not in place yet. Thank you for your response.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You mean if she has available flight she is already under the exemption category which is not currently banned? I am confused with their statement where they say the the announced exemptions not in place yet. Thank you for your response.
You are confusing two separate announcements.

To review (and you may wish to read the thread on covid travel restrictions), they announced two measures:
1) Immediate family members of PRs and citizens may travel (if the airlines let you board and you can get a flight). Those measures are final and you can read them in order-in-council form (a formal government regulation).
2) COPR/visa holders that are not immediate family members - govt has announced they will be able to travel in future, but they have not published the instructions yet, and said it would take some time.

This is assuming nothing changes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you look in the red box CIC is trying to stop people who are landing for the first time from entering Canada. I understand spouses want to be reunited. If reunited you will have to figure out the quarantine situation. Assume you want your spouse to live with you. Then you will both have to go straight home and your whole family will be in strict quarantine for the next 14 days. Getting flights is likely to become more difficult.

Reactions: Gr8AmirM

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
You are confusing two separate announcements.

To review (and you may wish to read the thread on covid travel restrictions), they announced two measures:
1) Immediate family members of PRs and citizens may travel (if the airlines let you board and you can get a flight). Those measures are final and you can read them in order-in-council form (a formal government regulation).
2) COPR/visa holders that are not immediate family members - govt has announced they will be able to travel in future, but they have not published the instructions yet, and said it would take some time.

This is assuming nothing changes.
Thanks a lot man for helping me out. I read your earlier thread as well and feel confident now that she can come. I have also written to my visa office already for further confirmation. I should also add that she got her CoPR in feb (i.e. before March 16) so she is also eligible to come this way too.
Plz keep your thread updated for any further order or change. I am providing the link for other people https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/covid-19-travel-restrictions.682590/

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

Gr8AmirM

Star Member
Nov 21, 2015
Thanks a lot man for helping me out. I read your earlier thread as well and feel confident now that she can come. I have also written to my visa office already for further confirmation. I should also add that she got her CoPR in feb (i.e. before March 16) so she is also eligible to come this way too.
Plz keep your thread updated for any further order or change. I am providing the link for other people https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/covid-19-travel-restrictions.682590/
Response from Visa office in AUH:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

On March 20, 2020 the Government of Canada announced an update to the exemptions on travel restrictions put in place to stem the spread of COVID-19. Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying or making Canada their home, and travel by these individuals will be considered essential travel for land border restrictions. Please refer to the following website for important information: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/03/canada-provides-update-on-exemptions-to-travel-restrictions-to-protect-canadians-and-support-the-economy.html

The exemptions include:

· permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada

Please note: Those affected by these exemptions should not try to travel to Canada immediately. With travel restrictions in place in many countries around the world and international air travel reduced during the COVID-19 outbreak, we don’t recommend that those who are exempt from travel restrictions immediately try to travel to Canada. Implementation of the exemptions will take a few days. We expect to announce the implementation of these exemptions early in the week of March 22, 2020.

Amykas

Aug 23, 2019
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
01-08-2019
AOR Received.
10-10-2019
File Transfer...
21-10-2019
Med's Request
13-11-2019
Med's Done....
05-12-2019
Hello to all,
I received my PPR and plan to submit my passport for issuing my COPR&Visa. Would you please let me know for how long COPR&Visa will be valid to travel with? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Can you please tell when They requested your passport just so I know if they’re working?

Amykas

Aug 23, 2019
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
01-08-2019
AOR Received.
10-10-2019
File Transfer...
21-10-2019
Med's Request
13-11-2019
Med's Done....
05-12-2019
Thanks, I am happy now that you can feel more relief about the process of your application.
Good luck.
I’m an August applicant and I’ve completed the majority of the process but I’m moving to QUEBEC , I am required to apply at the Provincial government Also and that Will take Long time Unfortunately. But it’s really nice to hear that other applications have been finalised. Again congrats.

Reactions: Emma Johnson