+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSORSHIP ONLY ONE WEEK AFTER MARRIAGE

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
Hi

pls my fiance plans to visit canada soon and we plan to get married as soon as he comes in. Also, I plan to sponsor him immediately after that, (mayb a week later) cos I am very anxious for him to be with us here (we have a baby together) in Canada.

1. Has anyone heard of sponsorship only a week after marriage?
Do you think the IO may think we are not for real? (We have dated for the past 8 years, about 2 of which were long distance.)

2. Does d fact that we have a baby together, born here in Canada, count for us not being an "immigration marriage", even tho I plan to file for him SO SOON after the marriage?

My brothers says its not a good idea to file so soon, but cos i plan to file outland while he is on a visitor's visa (6months), i am eager for this application to be completed while he is still here so he doesnt have to go back. Thats my reason for the rush.

Thanks for any responses.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There's no problem applying as soon as you get married, as long as you have the marriage certificate but you have to prove your relationship. After 8 years, I am sure you have a lot of proof of having lived together in the past as well as communicated while you were apart. I assume he is listed as the father on the babys birth certificate so that should be added proof.

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
Thank you, Leon.
And yes, he is named in the birth certificate as our baby's father.

A few more ?s, pls.

1. Is it advisable to change my last name to his after marriage b4 filing for him. Documents like my passport, PR card, name of mother on my baby's birth certificate will all be in my maiden name. Does this matter?

2. If not, does this mean i cant change my last name till the application is granted?
Does this have any consequences? Or do i change it after applying and inform them, with supporting documents? I have the impression that its best to have all Ur documents and facts b4 them in one package, if possible, as opposed to contacting them all the time for this change and that change.

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it might somewhat simplify things if you change your name to his already before you apply. It could be seen as even further proof of your relationship.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your brothers are highly qualified immigration attorneys I'm sure. :)

Don't worry, you can file right away. That's what my attorney recommended to make things happen faster.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
You don't have to change your name if you don't want to. But if you do want to do it, then it's best to do it before sending the application. As you said yourself, it does simplify things if you don't have to go informing them of the change.
A baby on its own is not enough to prove it's not an 'immigration marriage'. But with a relationship history of 8 years, I don't think there will be any doubt. And there is no problem with filing the application even as soon as day or two after the wedding, assuming you'll already have a marriage certificate. It's uncommon for people to do so and it's not an issue. The issue would be if you met today, married next week and applied for PR the week after. That could be a problem, but not because of how shortly after the marriage you applied, but because of how short the relationship was.

munanicole

Oct 30, 2009
Thnx for your responses.

A few follow up questions, pls.

1. Do i also apply for a new passport to show the change of last name?

2. Would this new passport have the same passport number?

3. Do i attach copies of the old passort as well as the new one so they know its d same person? Do i need to attach any other documents for thia purpose?

Thanks everyone!

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I was wondering too if when you change your name on your passport if you are still given the same number.

I think though I am fine with keeping my maiden name for a while after marriage. I probably won't change it until after becoming a permanent resident. I have enough to worry about right now so I don't want to add on going through everything to change my name during the process of putting the application together too, you know what I mean? Lol.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
A new passport will have a new passport number, so no, it won't be the same as the old passport's.

munanicole, you would be the sponsor, right? From what I remember, the sponsor doesn't have to submit a copy of their passport. It's trickier if you're the applicant.

I changed my name the day we were married. When sending the application in, I sent a copy of the first pages of my new passport as well as a copy of the first pages of the old, voided passport (it had holes in it) and the pages that had the entry stamps from my visits to Canada.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
it's not necessary to change your maiden name, especially if you are the sponsor. it will take time to change your name and all the paperwork slowing down your application. the marriage certificate is the good proof of you being married. they look for your relationship being genuine. and if you have years of communication/living together there will be no problem to your case at all.
have a good luck!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Applying as soon as possible after marriage is good. If you wait too long, the visa officers will be suspicious - they will ask, if you really loved your spouse, why did you wait a year before sponsoring him? Applying very quickly is only bad if you don't have a fairly long history together; since you dated for 8 years, that is not an issue.
A baby definitely helps.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you actually know this is true, or are you guessing? It is quite common to wait a very long time. A friend of mine was married for years, she is Vietnamese, and she got approved without a hitch in a matter of months.

My lawyer also told me that waiting longer gives you the advantage of having more history together...

canadianwoman said:
Applying as soon as possible after marriage is good. If you wait too long, the visa officers will be suspicious - they will ask, if you really loved your spouse, why did you wait a year before sponsoring him? Applying very quickly is only bad if you don't have a fairly long history together; since you dated for 8 years, that is not an issue.
A baby definitely helps.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
you may want to include some proof of relationships whether it's your old address living together with her
or letters, greeting cards, etc.

Just so that they think the relationship is genuine.

My mom's friend married a canadian in Canada and her application was rejected.
He now has to go back to Indonesia with her and stayed there for a while.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
You don't even have to wait to apply until getting married do you?
You can claim common-law and you have a dependant together.

Common laws are treated like marriage no?