+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Of Orphaned Niece and Nephew

mohsan456

Feb 7, 2016
Hi Forum,
I need help with the sponsorship of my little cuzins. So our family has been living in Canada for over 10 years and my little cuzins who a little girl of 9 and a boy of 12 are living in Pakistan as orphans. They are my mom's niece and nephew. Can someone tell me whether it is possible for us to sponsor them/adopt them and bring them to Canada. I recently went back on vacation and seeing them makes my heart cry. They lost both of their parent in the last couple of years and we would really like to bring them here and give them the amazing life that Canada has to offer. Things are very harsh over there. They have 3 older brothers but they are all over age of 21 and doing their own thing. Currently they live with their grandmother who is very very old.
So someone that has knowledge about this if you can help, it would be very meaningful.
Here are my following questions;
1) Is it possible to Sponsor/Adopt them and bring them here.
2) Which one should we apply for, which will be a faster and easier process.
3) Where would one begin the process of this and what steps are needed to complete.

Thank you in advance. Any help will be very nice!!

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
I suspect, based on the information you have provided, that CIC would view an adoption of these children as an adoption of convenience and hence not allow you to sponsor them for immigration.

While the fact that they have lost their parents is sad, they still have siblings and grandparents who are able to care for them. If they had nobody your odds would be much better.

There are others on this forum who are more well versed in this type of sponsorship than I am, so I would wait and see what they say as well.

Good luck to you and your orphaned family members.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Adoption is unfortunately not an option. CIC does not recognize adoptions from Pakistan:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-07-01.asp

However you I believe you can try sponsoring them under the other family clause since they are both orphaned and underage.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
scylla said:
Adoption is unfortunately not an option. CIC does not recognize adoptions from Pakistan:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2013-07-01.asp

However you I believe you can try sponsoring them under the other family clause since they are both orphaned and underage.
Agreed. Adoption is out but your parents should be able to sponsor the children. Here is the link http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp#who_can

Option 1 – Orphaned close relatives

You can sponsor close relatives, related by blood or adoption, such as brothers, sisters, nephews, nieces, or grandchildren only if they meet all of the following conditions:

They are orphaned,
They are under 18, and
They do not have a spouse, common law partner, or conjugal partner.

mohsan456

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for the reply,
So it seems like the adoption route is one that we cannot go. I guess we will have to try to sponsor them. My question is do we sponsor them from the application of my mom or can we apply from my father's ? Because my mom does not work and she is a permanent resident of Canada but she doesn't have her Canadian citizenship. The rest of our family does. My parents have 4 boys. 2 are over 19, 1 will be 19 in a year so they only have one dependent. Can someone tell me how likely is it for us to sponsor the little kids. Anyone that works in this sort of department.
They are my mom's niece and nephew but from my father's side they are also related but not as closely.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mohsan456 said:
Thanks for the reply,
So it seems like the adoption route is one that we cannot go. I guess we will have to try to sponsor them. My question is do we sponsor them from the application of my mom or can we apply from my father's ? Because my mom does not work and she is a permanent resident of Canada but she doesn't have her Canadian citizenship. The rest of our family does. My parents have 4 boys. 2 are over 19, 1 will be 19 in a year so they only have one dependent. Can someone tell me how likely is it for us to sponsor the little kids. Anyone that works in this sort of department.
They are my mom's niece and nephew but from my father's side they are also related but not as closely.
1. Only your mother could sponsor them as they are your cousins.
2. Citizenship doesn't matter but her lack of income does. Although she could include your father's income in the sponsorship.
t

mohsan456

Feb 7, 2016
I mean my mom would have to show my fathers income right? Since she has always been a housewife. Secondly would the government allow to sponsor both brother and sister because we really do not want to separate them after what they gone through. They only have each other and separating them would be horrible.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
mohsan456 said:
I mean my mom would have to show my fathers income right? Since she has always been a housewife. Secondly would the government allow to sponsor both brother and sister because we really do not want to separate them after what they gone through. They only have each other and separating them would be horrible.
Yes, your mother would include your father as a co-signer.

Yes, both children can be sponsored.

mohsan456

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for the answers!!
Can someome link me the application forms that I have to fill out. I can't seem to find them. Sorry Im not much of a web person.

mohsan456

Feb 7, 2016
Hi Again,
I really need help with one requirement that is confusing me.
The Income required to Sponsor.
Since my mom is just a housewife and my dads income is approximately $35000- 40000. Can we sponser the little brother and sister. My parents also have two dependents. One will turn 19 in a couple years.
But my parents have raised 4 kids perfectly fine with that income.
Will that be a problem ?? How much is required to sponsor those 2 orphans. Me and my older brother are independent. Every other criteria has been met. Its just this that Im worried about. Please someone help ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mohsan456 said:
Hi Again,
I really need help with one requirement that is confusing me.
The Income required to Sponsor.
Since my mom is just a housewife and my dads income is approximately $35000- 40000. Can we sponser the little brother and sister. My parents also have two dependents. One will turn 19 in a couple years.
But my parents have raised 4 kids perfectly fine with that income.
Will that be a problem ?? How much is required to sponsor those 2 orphans. Me and my older brother are independent. Every other criteria has been met. Its just this that Im worried about. Please someone help ?
Your parents need to be making sufficient income to meet the LICO requirements for six people in order to sponsor the little brother and sister. This means they need to be making a minimum combined income of $57,826. If their combined income is in the range of $35K to $40K - then unfortunately they don't qualify to sponsor.