+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship of dependent children and expired status

gargamel47

Oct 3, 2016
I arrived in Canada in August 2018 as PR and applied to sponsor my daughters ages 1year and 2 years
They were not included in my initial aplication for PR so I applied when I moved here permanently after much preparation.

As we are from a country that doesn;t require visitor visas, I only had to show their passports. I don't think anybody stamped their passports but I know that visitors are only allowed to stay up to half a year
so technically they were allowed to stay until February 2019.
However, in Februar they were referred to medical exams and it was basically the last stage in their application. In the meantime I forgot about prolonging their stay or let the authorities know. I did indicate in their application that they were on a visitor's status.

anyway it's August now and we are supposed to get their confirmation of Permanent resident any day now after which they will have to travel to the border and re-enter as permanent residents.

So my question is what do I do now?
Will I be asked this by the immigration officer at the border?
Is there a way to rectify this?

I only read about common-law partners that if they don;t have a legal status in Canada or their status has expired but they are being sponsored by a PR or citizens, they can stay and it won't affect their application and future PR status.
however, I am not sure how it is regarded when children are sponsored

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I arrived in Canada in August 2018 as PR and applied to sponsor my daughters ages 1year and 2 years
They were not included in my initial aplication for PR so I applied when I moved here permanently after much preparation.

As we are from a country that doesn;t require visitor visas, I only had to show their passports. I don't think anybody stamped their passports but I know that visitors are only allowed to stay up to half a year
so technically they were allowed to stay until February 2019.
However, in Februar they were referred to medical exams and it was basically the last stage in their application. In the meantime I forgot about prolonging their stay or let the authorities know. I did indicate in their application that they were on a visitor's status.

anyway it's August now and we are supposed to get their confirmation of Permanent resident any day now after which they will have to travel to the border and re-enter as permanent residents.

So my question is what do I do now?
Will I be asked this by the immigration officer at the border?
Is there a way to rectify this?

I only read about common-law partners that if they don;t have a legal status in Canada or their status has expired but they are being sponsored by a PR or citizens, they can stay and it won't affect their application and future PR status.
however, I am not sure how it is regarded when children are sponsored
CBSA may ask but they will be allowed to land.