+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship - Marriage question help!

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I'm new here, I've read how some of you helped answer peoples questions so I thought I'd give it a shot!

I've been dating my bf (were engaged to be married) for now 3 years ( long distance relationship ) he lives in Serbia and I live in Canada (Canadian Citizen). I've went to see him often but now I'd like it if he could finally meet my family because we are planning to get married. He's in the process of getting a visa to come and visit for a few weeks. We wanna get married in a year,celebrate it here with my family & friends and I'd like to know could I sponsor him then to live here with me and soon after get married? I know only family qualifies for sponsorship but I've been reading about ''Conjugal partner'' on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website and thought maybe we'd qualify in that category?

Conjugal partner

This category is for partners—either of the opposite sex or same sex—in exceptional circumstances beyond their control that prevent them from qualifying as common-law partners or spouses by living together.

A conjugal relationship is more than a physical relationship. It means you depend on each other, there is some permanence to the relationship and there is the same level of commitment as a marriage or a common-law relationship.

You may apply as a conjugal partner if:

you have maintained a conjugal relationship with your sponsor for at least one year and you have been prevented from living together or marrying because of:
an immigration barrier
your marital status (for example, you are married to someone else and living in a country where divorce is not possible) or
If not, our last resort would be to get married in Serbia which would be fine but would a civil union in Serbia be valid in Canada? Could we easily then come back together married to Canada and live here?

Thank you so much for your help in advance. :)

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
if your plan is to get married, a conjugal application will be denied.... they will tell you to apply after you are married as legal spouses...

conjugal is tricky to support, for most it involves proving that both cohabitation and marriage are not available options.... along with proving the codependence of a married like relationship on many different levels... there are a lot of denials from this category due to applications that don't meet the criteria (which it sounds like your relationship does not)

Many find that their best option is having a legal civil marriage ceremony and filing as married... then having the formal ceremony once the application is approved and the applicant lands... you'd have to check with CIC whether a serbian marriage qualifies.. many foreign ones do as long as the documents are correctly translated and legally binding, but i cannot say for sure... another thread on here asking that specific question may get responses that are more informed in this area than i am :)

good luck

May Ann

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-28-11
AOR Received.
11-21-11
File Transfer...
11-03-11
Med's Done....
06-11-11
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
11-21-11
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2012 (REC'D 01-16-2012)
LANDED..........
04-18-2012
i agree. i am finalizing my application forms and have been through them. i noticed that they require more on common law/conjugal partnership than if you are married already.

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so basically we'd have to get married in Serbia ( civil union ) and then i can ask for that ''conjugal partner'' sponsorship and later have the final civil union ceremony once in Canada? Could I be denied for that sponsorship? wow this is a lot harder than I thought :(

May Ann

Star Member
Jun 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-28-11
AOR Received.
11-21-11
File Transfer...
11-03-11
Med's Done....
06-11-11
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
11-21-11
VISA ISSUED...
01-09-2012 (REC'D 01-16-2012)
LANDED..........
04-18-2012
vixengrrr said:
so basically we'd have to get married in Serbia ( civil union ) and then i can ask for that ''conjugal partner'' sponsorship and later have the final civil union ceremony once in Canada? Could I be denied for that sponsorship? wow this is a lot harder than I thought :(
in my point it's wiser to get a civil union because even conjugal partnership will take a while to process. if you're really into getting married and you want him to be there. i think you should opt for the marriage.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
vixengrrr said:
no... if you are legally married in Serbia (assuming it is a legal marriage in canada, best to check with CIC) you apply as a married couple, if you apply as conjugal when you are married they will reject it without any consideration...

conjugal was technically designed for those who can not legally marry or live together (to satisfy commonlaw)... if you are planning to marry you do not qualify under conjugal (and if you are married you must apply as married)

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
typically if a marriage is legal in the country it is performed in, it will be considered legal by CIC, providing all documents have been translated and notorized... again either contact CIC or possibly start a country specific threat to confirm specifics, but in general i am pretty confident that a legal civil wedding in Serbia would be recognized by Canada

having the formal ceremony in canada as i mentioned above is just a step that many couples take to include their families in their big day... the big party and all that jazz... it has nothing to do with CIC, but just fills that void that a simple civil ceremony with few or no guests might leave in a couple's life

vixengrrr

Jun 28, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It sounds odd but I didnt think it would be this hard, looks like we have a lot of work in front of us.

I'm gonna call the CIC for information about the validity of a civil union/wedding in Serbia to Canada.

After the wedding and starting the process for the sponsorship, what exactly awaits us? Any of you with that kind of experience could clue me in? What is needed for the sponsorship? Thank you for all the information, its very much appreciated.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Read the first post in the first thread by Leon. That's an excellent summation of the sponsorship process.

I also recommend going to the CIC website and reading the guides for the sponsors and applicants, and the various forms you will need to fill out. Remember, right now this is just for information purposes, don't get bogged down in the details just yet. Just read and digest them.

Take a look also at OP2, which will show you how spousal applications are processed and assessed, this will give you an idea of what type of information CIC will be looking for in your application. You can find it here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

cleo

Star Member
Mar 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-02-2011
AOR Received.
23-03-2011
File Transfer...
08-04-2011
Med's Done....
11-05-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
09-09-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-09-2011
LANDED..........
09-11-2011
A civil ceremony done in Serbia is legal here in Canada. I just got married to a Serb, but we had our ceremony here in Canada and now he has gone back and we're doing the waiting game with immigration. My husband had a hard time getting a visitor's visa, I don't think most people realize how hard it is for Balkans to get visas. Anyway, it's a long process so I wouldn't hesitate getting started on it as soon as possible. Why not get married when he comes to visit you in Canada?

Serdj977

Mar 20, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 Sep 2010
Doc's Request.
14 Dec 2010
AOR Received.
10 Nov 2010
File Transfer...
4 Nov 2010
Med's Request
6 Dec 2011
Med's Done....
1 Sep 2010 ; redo 20 Dec 2011
Interview........
20 Sep 2011
Passport Req..
2 Mar 2012
VISA ISSUED...
20 Mar 2012
LANDED..........
13 Apr 2012
Hi,

My wife and I got married here in Serbia and it is legal in Canada (civil ceremony). I'm Serbian citizen she is Canadian.
You just include that marriage certificate with certified translation in your application and you're fine. That's how we did it. There is also an option to get marriage certificate on international type of form (better option). In that case you don't need certified translation cause that form is in English, French and some other languages.

You can apply inland or outland but as CharlieD10 said read that sticky topic first, that one by Leon. Lots of information there.

vixengrrr said:
After the wedding and starting the process for the sponsorship, what exactly awaits us? Any of you with that kind of experience could clue me in? What is needed for the sponsorship? Thank you for all the information, its very much appreciated.
Common problem here is that men from Serbia are usually stuck in security background checks cause most of us were in compulsory military service (I was too). Due to all those wars in the past here in Balkans security checks can take some time... be prepare for long wait if your future husband served in military.
There is topic here called Vienna office where some of us (outland applicants) share our experiences. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/vienna-office-t74361.0.html

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Hi everyone,

Same situation here. My fiance is Serbian and I am Canadian. He was denied a visitor visa for Canada. We want to get married, but after reading through all the forms for immigration...it looks like it is going to be very difficult. One thing to sponsor is that you are required to hold a job that pays a certain amount per year, etc. We are looking at a long process aren't we?
He did serve in the military (6 months required)...that will make is more difficult will it?
I appreciate your help :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Gemini1 said:
Hi everyone,

Same situation here. My fiance is Serbian and I am Canadian. He was denied a visitor visa for Canada. We want to get married, but after reading through all the forms for immigration...it looks like it is going to be very difficult. One thing to sponsor is that you are required to hold a job that pays a certain amount per year, etc. We are looking at a long process aren't we?
He did serve in the military (6 months required)...that will make is more difficult will it?
I appreciate your help :)
It will be "more difficult" (take longer).

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Gemini1 said:
One thing to sponsor is that you are required to hold a job that pays a certain amount per year, etc.
If you're sponsoring your husband or wife or common-law/conjugal partner, you are exempt from the "certain amount per year" requirement. As long as the officer thinks you are willing and able to support yourselves without going on welfare, your specific level of income will not be an issue for a spousal sponsorship.

Gemini1

Star Member
Apr 4, 2011
Really BeShoo??? I had no idea! I think that was one of our major concerns! Thanks so much for the information!