+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship from inside or outside Canada

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Hi,

I am holding PR card, and my wife entered with me with a multiple entry visit visa, and my daughter was born here and have Canadian passport.

My question is : I f I make the sponsorship process from inside Canada, how long it will take, and during this period (which I heard will be around 2 years) she will have a medical insurance and work permit or no? and these days will be counter as residency inside Canada or the count will start from the day of landing only?

And if from outside (which I heard it is faster), can she send the documents from Egypt, then come back again inside Canada until the process is finished while she has 4 years multiple entry visa.

By the way we are staying in the province of Ontario.

Please advise.
Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nader gamal said:
I am holding PR card, and my wife entered with me with a multiple entry visit visa, and my daughter was born here and have Canadian passport.
Just confirm that you got married to your wife AFTER you yourself landed as PR.

My question is : I f I make the sponsorship process from inside Canada, how long it will take, and during this period (which I heard will be around 2 years) she will have a medical insurance and work permit or no? and these days will be counter as residency inside Canada or the count will start from the day of landing only?
For inland processing she will get an OWP after stage 1 approval/AIP which is currently taking 14 months. Stage 2 processing is another 8 months after that.

She will get OHIP after AIP + 3 months waiting period so 17 months after submitting application.

Only days residing in Canada AFTER getting PR status, will count towards her 4 years needed for citizenship.

And if from outside (which I heard it is faster), can she send the documents from Egypt, then come back again inside Canada until the process is finished while she has 4 years multiple entry visa.
If she can arrange to get all the documents (like police check) sent to her while in Canada, she can submit the outland app while residing in Canada.

If her visa office is Cairo, it shows 18 months for processing, but with outland apps most people are done quicker than the posted times. So maybe would take around 1 year or so.

Since she has 4 year multi entry visa, outland is probably your better option.

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Thanks Rob for your reply.

yes we got married after the landing date.

You mentioned : "If she can arrange to get all the documents (like police check) sent to her while in Canada, she can submit the outland app while residing in Canada"

I can manage to do the police report from the embassy, but what about the medical check? it can be done inside Canada while am applying fro outside?

Another question, if she remain staying inside, when they ask for the passport to stamp the visa, can I just send it to Cairo by courier and get it back here after the visa, then make the landing from US borders? or how she will remain staying as you said?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
nader gamal said:
I can manage to do the police report from the embassy, but what about the medical check? it can be done inside Canada while am applying fro outside?
Yes the medical check can be done in any country in the world, as long as you use a panel physician from the CIC list. Just pick one close to your address in Ontario.

Another question, if she remain staying inside, when they ask for the passport to stamp the visa, can I just send it to Cairo by courier and get it back here after the visa, then make the landing from US borders? or how she will remain staying as you said?
Whether a visa office accepts passports couriered from Canada, is up to the visa office. I've heard for some countries it's easy, and for others it can be difficult. I really can't say for Cairo office.

But if she can get her passport to Cairo for stamping and they courier it back to her in Canada, then yes it's very easy to do the PR landing at closest USA land border.

nader gamal

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
i am sorry for asking again since I want to make sure about this step!

As per your advise, now I can do everything from inside Canada (police report and medical check), then submit the documents as she is outside Canada while actually she is inside (but not resident).
Do the Sponsorship office can reject the file since all documents done from inside Canada and we are applying from outside, or it doesn't matter for them from where the documents was issued.

I really appreciate your support and answers.

Thanks

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
It does not matter where the applicant is for outland. Many people here have done outland while staying in Canada the whole time. It does not matter where the documents were issued or mailed from.

Also, be sure to apply to extend her stay in order to remain in status during the processing time.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
In the inland guide, CIC even recommends to people to apply outland instead to take advantage of quicker processing times.

dluhut

Oct 15, 2013
Rob_TO said:
In the inland guide, CIC even recommends to people to apply outland instead to take advantage of quicker processing times.
Hi Rob,

Could you show the link where in the inland guide, CIC recommends to people to apply outland EVEN THOUGH my spouse is in Canada for quicker processing times.

Also Rob, taking this opportunity, I wonder if you'd know what number to contact if I'd like to make an appointment with a CIC officer in Ottawa office to "walk through" with me with regards to the form. There's some that I don't really understand even after I've read the instruction guide.

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
I just want to add that if you apply outland, she will NOT have medical and cannot work while in Canada. Also, if she is called for an interview, she will have to go back to Egypt.

Also, as Rob_TO said, you have to apply to extend her stay after 6 months pass, because she has to be legally in Canada. If you don't do so, the whole application will probably get refused.

In some cases (mine), they gave me the option to send my passport to Ottawa instead to my VO (Vienna).

All in all, it is usually quicker and better option to go outland.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
dluhut said:
if I'd like to make an appointment with a CIC officer in Ottawa office to "walk through" with me with regards to the form. There's some that I don't really understand even after I've read the instruction guide.
that will never happen. CIC officers do not meet with people to go over the applicaitons and answer questions. if you are interested in calling CIC, you will need to call the call center from within canada at 888-242-2100.

quite frankly, asking your specific question HERE would result in better and more accurate information than calling the call center. the call center is known for giving out wrong or misleading information.

dluhut

Oct 15, 2013
Just wondering when I apply to sponsor my wife outland while she's in Canada, can she leave Canada, i.e. for travel or visiting back home and come back to Canada again? Or it's best that she stayed in Canada until she gets her PR approval?

Also, since she has multiple entry visa, if she was to stay for more than 6 months, did she need to apply for 'Applying to Remain in Canada as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM 5554)'?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
dluhut said:
Just wondering when I apply to sponsor my wife outland while she's in Canada, can she leave Canada, i.e. for travel or visiting back home and come back to Canada again? Or it's best that she stayed in Canada until she gets her PR approval?

Also, since she has multiple entry visa, if she was to stay for more than 6 months, did she need to apply for 'Applying to Remain in Canada as a Temporary Resident Permit Holder (IMM 5554)'?
yes, that is the point of outland. the applicant can travel freely around the world when the application is submitted. there are no travel restrictions. if an interview is requested, she will need to attend it in her home country, where the application is being processed.

in order to stay past the expiration of a visa, she will need to apply online to extend her stay as a visitor. it costs $100, and PR applicants are rarely denied. people generally ask for long periods of time such as 12, 16 or 24 months.

spaceexp

Oct 17, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna-->Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
received by CIC 12-03-2014
AOR Received.
10-04-2014
File Transfer...
01-05-2014
Med's Done....
03-02-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-11-2014 (IP 18-11-2014, mailed 03-12-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
30-12-2014 , then again 13-02-2015 (DM 03-01-2015, PP&CoPR received 06-01-2015, returned to Ottawa because of a mistake, received again on 16-02-2015)
LANDED..........
16-02-2015
dluhut said:
Just to clarify, TRV and TRP are not the same thing. TRP (temporary resident permit) is given to SOME people who are not eligible to get a TRV (temporary resident visa).

Since your wife already has a TRV, TRP you mentioned above will NEVER apply to her. Just forget that thing even exists :)

dluhut said:
As rhcohen2014 said, she can travel if you apply outland, but bear in mind that the officer at the point of entry can always refuse to let her enter Canada. I myself didn't have a problem entering and they allowed me to stay full 6 months, although I quit my job and rental lease, but they didn't even ask. If you get a bad officer, they may ask does she have any ties to her home country (leasing agreement, school, work etc). And it is always good to have a return ticket to her home country, even if you refund it later.

This all applies only if she leaves Canada and wants to re-enter.