+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship for my husband & Son while living outside Canada, please help.

Feb 13, 2007
Hi all,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of questions while I'm filling out my application for sponsorship for my husband.

I'm a Canadian and my husband is a UK citizen. We are currently living in the UK. We have a son who is born in the UK. So he is going through a different process to get his papers for the canadian citizenship.

I need a couple of questions clarified in order to complete the sponsorship papers....

Question 1: On IMM1344 do I put him (my son) as a dependent of principal applicant (my husband)
Question 2: Financial considerations. I'm a little confused. In working out the financial arrangements to support my husband and son, it gave an example that I must earn at least 69,985 to support myself, my husand and 1 dependent? How did they calcaluate this amount, so what is the real amount, to ensure I hit that target when looking for jobs.
Question3: From the sale of our primary home in england, we hope to bring to canada a significant amount to set up our new home in canada. How do we go about declaring that and would this amount be sufficient as proof of income? The only problem is that we will not be selling our house in the UK until they have their papers.
question4: What about the job situation. I can't get a job until they have their papers. I am communicating with various IT firms and headhunting agencies in toronto.. but until I have their papers... I can't go for any interviews... far too early. So how do i prove my intention to resettle?

Question5:
This is the worrying one. The nature of my husband's job require him to travel to europe for an extended period of time, so he'll be out of the country for at least 4 months out of any given year and no, there is no canadian branch. He is self employed and his company that he works for is in switzerland. There is a clause about 730 days that is confusing me. So does that mean that he must remain in canada for at least 2 years after he gets his PR, huge implication for his current job. any help on this one would be great.

What are my other options for him if he cannot fulfill the residency requirements because of the job situation? Are there other options that I have not considered that would allow him to access essential government services (eg. such as hospitals etc)

Any help is gratefully received.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jtc_in_cumbria said:
Hi all,

Just wanted to clarify a couple of questions while I'm filling out my application for sponsorship for my husband.

I'm a Canadian and my husband is a UK citizen. We are currently living in the UK. We have a son who is born in the UK. So he is going through a different process to get his papers for the canadian citizenship.

I need a couple of questions clarified in order to complete the sponsorship papers....

Question 1: On IMM1344 do I put him (my son) as a dependent of principal applicant (my husband)
Question 2: Financial considerations. I'm a little confused. In working out the financial arrangements to support my husband and son, it gave an example that I must earn at least 69,985 to support myself, my husand and 1 dependent? How did they calcaluate this amount, so what is the real amount, to ensure I hit that target when looking for jobs.
Question3: From the sale of our primary home in england, we hope to bring to canada a significant amount to set up our new home in canada. How do we go about declaring that and would this amount be sufficient as proof of income? The only problem is that we will not be selling our house in the UK until they have their papers.
question4: What about the job situation. I can't get a job until they have their papers. I am communicating with various IT firms and headhunting agencies in toronto.. but until I have their papers... I can't go for any interviews... far too early. So how do i prove my intention to resettle?

Question5:
This is the worrying one. The nature of my husband's job require him to travel to europe for an extended period of time, so he'll be out of the country for at least 4 months out of any given year and no, there is no canadian branch. He is self employed and his company that he works for is in switzerland. There is a clause about 730 days that is confusing me. So does that mean that he must remain in canada for at least 2 years after he gets his PR, huge implication for his current job. any help on this one would be great.

What are my other options for him if he cannot fulfill the residency requirements because of the job situation? Are there other options that I have not considered that would allow him to access essential government services (eg. such as hospitals etc)

Any help is gratefully received.
1. Slow down read the forms thoroughly. Your son is a Canadian, so he is not included in the application IMM 008 but is included on the IMM 5406.
2. As a spousal sponsorship you cannot be on public assistance except for disability, you don't have to meet the Low Income Cuf off figure, although you have to submit the financial calculations. I have no idea where you got the figure you were quoting, if you were sponsoring other than your spouse and dependent child, such as parents that figure would be for a family of 9.
3. You don't declare funds that you are bringing to Canada, unless you are carrying over $10K, which you declare to Customs on entry.
4. You submit a declaration with the sponsorship/application to Mississauga that once your spouse is issued a visa, you will proceed to Canada. You should outline what your plans and where you intend to settle, what steps you will take to find work, and schooling for the child.
5. He must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period to maintain his permanent residence status. He doesn't have to remain for the first 2 years.

PMM

Feb 13, 2007
Hi PMM,

Thanks you for your response. For 1 adult dependent and 1 child (Under 4) , plus myself. The guide tells me that it should be 26,218 (Sponsor + dependent) + 4205 (child) as the figure for basic needs etc. Is that correct?

Once our home is sold in the UK, we'll be bring over well excess of 100,000+ into canada as part of our settlement funds. Is this going to sufficient as proof of income since I'll be taking some time to find the right job for me.

Once again, thank you for your help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jtc_in_cumbria said:
Hi PMM,

Thanks you for your response. For 1 adult dependent and 1 child (Under 4) , plus myself. The guide tells me that it should be 26,218 (Sponsor + dependent) + 4205 (child) as the figure for basic needs etc. Is that correct?

Once our home is sold in the UK, we'll be bring over well excess of 100,000+ into canada as part of our settlement funds. Is this going to sufficient as proof of income since I'll be taking some time to find the right job for me.

Once again, thank you for your help.
Ignore the LICO figures, your are a Canadian sponsoring a spouse, you don't have to meet the Low Income Figures for spouses and dependent children as long as they the dependent child does not have children of their own. I somehow doubt that the 4 year has any child of his/her own. To repeat settlement funds DON"T enter into the application process for spouses.

PMM