+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Evaluation & Relationship Questionnaire (IMM 5532)

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Both sponsor and sponsored person are required to complete this form. I have scrolled carefully through the guide, but strangely, there does not seem to be any detailed information about how to complete this particular form, unlike all of the other listed forms. There are detailed instructions about the similarly-titled 'Sponsorship Evaluation' form (IMM 5481) but I am referring to 'Sponsorship Evaluation & Relationship Questionnaire' (IMM 5532). http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5532E.pdf

Regarding the questions for the sponsor (part A, section 6) if you are not currently living in Canada, you are required to answer: When did you last live in Canada? When do you plan to return to Canada? and Where do you plan to live when you return to Canada?

I know a married couple who are living in the US, and who previously lived in the UK--altogether, the Canadian citizen husband has been living outside Canada for about 8 years now, and they have already been married for 5 years. His wife is not a US citizen, but is legally in the US, and she has visited Canada several times (sponsor has strong family ties here). The husband is studying in the US and expects to finish his courses in mid-2018. Their plans beyond that are uncertain, although their preference would be to live in Canada, subject to finding employment here. They would like to begin the sponsorship process now, but are concerned about how to answer the second and third questions--will the uncertainty of their plans trigger a rejection of their application? Also, will the fact that the sponsor has already lived outside Canada for 8 years somehow be interpreted by IRCC as not being 'serious' about returning? I know there is no legal requirement for Canadian citizens and their sponsored partners to live in Canada after the sponsored partner gets her/his permanent residence, but the way these questions are worded suggests otherwise. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am sure this is not the first time the situation has arose, but I haven't found any threads on the subject.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Hi there,

There are instructions for this form on the complete guide. Search the page for "5532" and you will find it. It's listed under a slightly different title, but the form number is the same. "Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation Form".
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#forms

In response to your main question... you are correct that once someone is granted PR, there is no legal requirement for them to live in Canada if they are living abroad with their Canadian citizen spouse. However, in order to be granted PR, intent to live in Canada must be demonstrated. The whole point of becoming a PR is that you intend to permanently reside in Canada (hence, the term "permanent resident"). Essentially, IRCC doesn't want to waste their time or resources granting someone permanent residency if they don't actually intend to live in Canada.

If the sponsor and PA are both living outside Canada, you can see on that form that it is a requirement to submit a very thorough plan as to how and when they plan to return to Canada once PR is granted. If they are free to move back to Canada after mid-2018, that timeline would be perfectly acceptable since the application would not complete processing until after that. Living outside of Canada for 8 years will not have a negative impact, but they will need to successfully demonstrate their intent to return to Canada in order for the application to be approved.

Reactions: Yelsew

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Thank you, KBH. I had tried the Ctrl-F search feature with "IMM 5532" which I thought was logical, but got nowhere with it. Ditto for "Sponsorship Evaluation & Relationship Questionnaire" (also logical, because that's the name IRCC gives to the form). :mad: But as soon as I typed in "5532", as you did (without the IMM prefix), it brought me straight to the relevant section in the guide, and as you said, they refer to the form by a different name. :rolleyes:

As it turns out, there is really no clarification about #6 (the questions I was asking about in my original post) in that section of the guide--it jumps from #5 to #7. However, you wrote "it is a requirement to submit a very thorough plan as to how and when they plan to return to Canada once PR is granted". So now I am wondering how they can submit a "thorough plan" at this stage if they want to proceed with the sponsorship application. Do you think it would be sufficient for the sponsor to say something like "as my graduation approaches, I will be sending my resumé to various potential employers in Canada such as Company ABC in Toronto, Company XYZ in Halifax"---or is that too vague? Does IRCC expect sponsors to produce written copies of actual job offers? (that is unlikely to happen before graduation). Also, will emphasizing the sponsor's strong family connections in Canada be helpful? I didn't mention it before, but they do have a young child, and perhaps stressing the desire to live closer to the child's grandparents would be a good idea? Sorry for these additional questions, but any further guidance will be appreciated.

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thank you, KBH. I had tried the Ctrl-F search feature with "IMM 5532" which I thought was logical, but got nowhere with it. Ditto for "Sponsorship Evaluation & Relationship Questionnaire" (also logical, because that's the name IRCC gives to the form). :mad: But as soon as I typed in "5532", as you did (without the IMM prefix), it brought me straight to the relevant section in the guide, and as you said, they refer to the form by a different name. :rolleyes:

As it turns out, there is really no clarification about #6 (the questions I was asking about in my original post) in that section of the guide--it jumps from #5 to #7. However, you wrote "it is a requirement to submit a very thorough plan as to how and when they plan to return to Canada once PR is granted". So now I am wondering how they can submit a "thorough plan" at this stage if they want to proceed with the sponsorship application. Do you think it would be sufficient for the sponsor to say something like "as my graduation approaches, I will be sending my resumé to various potential employers in Canada such as Company ABC in Toronto, Company XYZ in Halifax"---or is that too vague? Does IRCC expect sponsors to produce written copies of actual job offers? (that is unlikely to happen before graduation). Also, will emphasizing the sponsor's strong family connections in Canada be helpful? I didn't mention it before, but they do have a young child, and perhaps stressing the desire to live closer to the child's grandparents would be a good idea? Sorry for these additional questions, but any further guidance will be appreciated.
No, you are on exactly the right track. All of things you're mentioning are exactly the information they should provide. Having a job offer is not necessary, but showing/demonstrating a plan for eventually getting a job in Canada, what the PA plans to do for work (if applicable), family ties (will family in Canada be housing them/supporting them at first?) and wanting to be closer to family, that's all very relevant information and helps to build the case that they do intend to move to Canada once the residency is approved :) I believe they can also include a letter from family or friends vouching for them that they have talked about their plans to move back to Canada.

Reactions: Yelsew

Nartus

Star Member
Oct 11, 2016
Guys I got PPR as single (PNP outland) on January 18. I got married on January 29 and then I notified CIC about the marriage.

Now they asked for the documents and some forms in order to add my wife to my application. The thing is that they asked for the form IMM5532 which it prompted questions as if I was a already in Canada when I am not and as if I was a already a Permananent Resident when I am not. That form ask questions as if my wife and I were living in diferent countries.

So I am confuse, can somebody help me?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Guys I got PPR as single (PNP outland) on January 18. I got married on January 29 and then I notified CIC about the marriage.

Now they asked for the documents and some forms in order to add my wife to my application. The thing is that they asked for the form IMM5532 which it prompted questions as if I was a already in Canada when I am not and as if I was a already a Permananent Resident when I am not. That form ask questions as if my wife and I were living in diferent countries.

So I am confuse, can somebody help me?
Sounds like you are adding your wife to your PNP application rather than sponsoring her via spousal sponsorship, so you may get confusing answers in this section of the forum. Try posting in the PNP section: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/provincial-nomination-program-immigration.6/

Reactions: Nartus

The CanadaDream

Jun 29, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Pune
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-09-2018
Hi All,

I am filling the IMM5532 form to sponsor my husband. I got my PR in March 2019 and came to Canada in July 2019. Got my job in Sep 2019 still ongoing. My question is on point # 1 of Part A : Sponsor's employment history
Starting with your current employer, if applicable, give details of all employers you have worked for over the past five years. Make sure there are no gaps.
· If you were unemployed, explain how you supported yourself.
· If you were self-employed, write the name of your business and the date it was established.
· Use the gross amount (before taxes) for your monthly salary or income

the quesion is that I have just come here 6 months ago how can I have 5 years history here, will I have to mention my Indian employment history? If yes, how do I mention my monthly income in Rupees or convert it in dollars?
Please help as soon as possible

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Yes, you must include all of your employment (and any periods of unemployment) over the past five years, both inside and outside Canada. For income, provide an approximate conversion to Canadian dollars.

Reactions: The CanadaDream

The CanadaDream

Jun 29, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Pune
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-09-2018
Yes, you must include all of your employment (and any periods of unemployment) over the past five years, both inside and outside Canada. For income, provide an approximate conversion to Canadian dollars.
Thanks for the clarification :) this helps

sakcan307

Jun 4, 2020
Me and my spouse know each other since 1.5 years and got married in January 2020, we met at a family gathering and since then we got into relationship. So my query is, does anyone can provide me a sample document for filling part-c section of Sponsorship Evaluation IMM5532 form, like the format to explain your relationship?
4th question in the document- If you are not living together, have you visited each other during your relationship? Its format
8th question in the document- If you are married, answer a) below.

Please help :)

couplefromDubai

Star Member
Aug 4, 2020
Hi Everyone!

I am sponsoring my spouse under family class.

I need help for this question: When did you last live in Canada? I feel my situation is complicated as I have never officially declared myself as Non-Resident even though I have lived less than 183 days per year in Canada after 2011. I just don't want to confuse who ever looks at my application to avoid getting it rejected or flagging anything to the CRA.

I was wondering what date I can put as last lived in Canada based on the below info about me:

• I have been a naturalised Canadian citizen since year 2000 and have been living there constantly. Right after university graduation in 2011 I moved to Dubai to live with my parents who had relocated there for work. I also have a residence permit in Dubai. But I haven’t lived there for more than 183 days/per year after 2011. I don’t have any property or assets in Canada, I just have social ties there.

• I last filed a tax return in 2016 when I visited relatives last for a month, but I reported zero income because I didn’t earn anything in Canada. I was trying to show activity in Canada despite living in Dubai thinking it would help. I also visited relatives in 2013 for a month

• I still have a student OSAP loan with the NSLSC and there is a Canadian mailing address on file (it’s my cousin’s but I said it’s my own address) I am making the payments on it regularly still.

• I have a bank account where there is a Canadian mailing address and phone number on file and I am somewhat active on the account

• I have a drivers license but not a valid health card since I haven't used it.

Other questions:

1. It's asking me 5 year job history where I was working in Dubai only, but I filed my tax return in 2016 when I visited saying I had zero income. Will this cause an issue?
  2. Does me paying my OSAP loan monthly show intention to return to canada?

arpitaggarwal89

Feb 20, 2019
Chicago
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
30-12-2020
IMM5532E Part A Question 6 : When did you last live in Canada?

Sponsor was living in Canada until April 1994. Currently sponsor lives in US.
But recently she visited Canada for one day visit on Jan 2nd 2020. Same day transit from US to Canada and back to US.

What should be the answer in this case ?

Yelsew

Star Member
Apr 24, 2013
London, ON
Sponsor was living in Canada until April 1994. Currently sponsor lives in US.
But recently she visited Canada for one day visit on Jan 2nd 2020. Same day transit from US to Canada and back to US.

What should be the answer in this case ?

You should check NO. And then answer the three questions. A one day visit to Canada is not the same as "living" in Canada.