+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] help please!

blink1ate2

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2014
AOR Received.
03-03-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2014
I am trying to fill out this form Sponsorship Evaluation [IMM 5481] but I am a Canadian living outside of Canada applying to sponsor. I am getting super confused about this applying from outside of Canada.

The section regarding "Current Situation"

I am employed but in the UK not in Canada - I am in the UK on a Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa
Should I be writing my current employer in the UK in? As it will not accept the phone number if I type it in on the PDF - and I will not be able to provide the option C print out from the Canada revenue agency - it will obviously not reflect my earnings in the UK

What do I do in this instance? - Would it be unemployed and explain about savings, living with parent free of charge until settled???

Also if I am only sponsoring my spouse do I have to fill out any of page 2? Perhaps in the 6a?

thank you in advance

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
blink1ate2 said:
Should I be writing my current employer in the UK in? As it will not accept the phone number if I type it in on the PDF - and I will not be able to provide the option C print out from the Canada revenue agency - it will obviously not reflect my earnings in the UK

What do I do in this instance? - Would it be unemployed and explain about savings, living with parent free of charge until settled???

Also if I am only sponsoring my spouse do I have to fill out any of page 2? Perhaps in the 6a?
Yes, put your current employer. Just print the form out and write in the UK phone number. For the Option C, it depends on how long you've been out of Canada. The most recent Option C right now will show your 2013 income details, so if you were in Canada in 2013, even for part of the year, then you should include it. If you left Canada prior to 2013, then explain that on an additional sheet and include your UK P60 instead.

If it's just you and your spouse, you don't fill in anything on page 2.

blink1ate2

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2014
AOR Received.
03-03-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2014
Thank you canuck_in_uk

Something I am getting confused about is the question "date entered into common law relationship"

Now since the definition of "common law" is you are cohabiting in a conjugal relationship and have done so for at least one year. Do I put the date that we started living together or 1 year from the date we started living together? I moved from Canada to the UK and began to live with my fiancé immediately Sept 16 2013

thank you for help, I am trying to not stress x

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
blink1ate2 said:
Thank you canuck_in_uk

Something I am getting confused about is the question "date entered into common law relationship"

Now since the definition of "common law" is you are cohabiting in a conjugal relationship and have done so for at least one year. Do I put the date that we started living together or 1 year from the date we started living together? I moved from Canada to the UK and began to live with my fiancé immediately Sept 16 2013
It's one year from the day you started to live together, so you entered into your common-law relationship Sept 16, 2014.

janicenewk

Feb 19, 2015
Hey, like blink1ate2 I am a Canadian living in the Uk, on a tier 5 visa, trying to fill in the application to sponsor my common-law boyfriend, and am totally stuck on a few things:

1. Who in the UK is able to sign the common-law declaration ?? (says commissioner of oaths, but does anyone have a tip on where to look??)

2.same goes for the signed certified true copies of my passport and birth certificate. (Judge, a magistrate, a notary public, an officer of a court of justice, a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living) I know but curious which one of these would be easiest (and free? ) to contact ???

3. On Documents Checklist, #19 says: if you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement" How do you know if you have to meet this?

super confused, any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
thanks

blink1ate2

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2014
AOR Received.
03-03-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2014
janicenewk said:
1. Who in the UK is able to sign the common-law declaration ?? (says commissioner of oaths, but does anyone have a tip on where to look??)

2.same goes for the signed certified true copies of my passport and birth certificate. (Judge, a magistrate, a notary public, an officer of a court of justice, a commissioner authorized to administer oaths in the country in which the person is living) I know but curious which one of these would be easiest (and free? ) to contact ???

3. On Documents Checklist, #19 says: if you must meet the minimum necessary income requirement" How do you know if you have to meet this?

4. **does anyone have any experience with working as self employed in the UK?? I am getting really confused by this. It says you need "evidence of self-employment income (statement of business activities)"
---but when i searched "statement of business activities" only the Canadian one showed up and i have no idea what the UK equivalent one is. I have only been working as self employed since March 2014, so havent yet registered in the UK and dont really know what to do here???

super confused, any help would be MUCH appreciated!!
thanks
1. A solicitor can sign a common law declaration - it cost us £10
2. You don't need to have your photocopies of passport and birth certificate certified.
3. If you are sponsoring your spouse you do not need a minimum income

I am sorry I cannot help with the last question

Good luck! xx

janicenewk

Feb 19, 2015
thanks blink1ate2,

Did you by chance use an immigration representative when you filled out your application, or is it straightforward enough to get through on your own (I dont want to have to pay an immigration lawyer if I dont have to)? If you dont use one, do you still have to include the form IMM 5476 in the application?

***oh hey, do you know what the stipulations are for when your Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa runs out?? Do you have to return to Canada, or can you just leave the UK (say to like France for a weekend-to get a stamp that says you left) and then go right back to the UK on a visitors visa??? I havent figured that one out yet, and mine expires in Oct

thanks! :)

janicenewk

Feb 19, 2015
Also,

did you have to call Canada Revenue Agency for your Option C print out? Im just wondering how long it takes for them to mail it to the UK??

blink1ate2

Star Member
Nov 2, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2014
AOR Received.
03-03-2015
Med's Done....
10-11-2014
janicenewk said:
thanks blink1ate2,

Did you by chance use an immigration representative when you filled out your application, or is it straightforward enough to get through on your own (I dont want to have to pay an immigration lawyer if I dont have to)? If you dont use one, do you still have to include the form IMM 5476 in the application?

***oh hey, do you know what the stipulations are for when your Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa runs out?? Do you have to return to Canada, or can you just leave the UK (say to like France for a weekend-to get a stamp that says you left) and then go right back to the UK on a visitors visa??? I havent figured that one out yet, and mine expires in Oct

thanks! :)
We did not use a representative. We printed out all of the forms one night and hand wrote in our answers, highlighted what we were sure about or if something needed an extra sheet of paper. It took about 2 and a 1/2 hours to complete everything for the test run - saying that once we starting getting it all together it took about a month to complete. We only sent it in December 15 so we are still awaiting sponsorship approval.

As far as coming back to the UK after your Visa expires I would not recommend a short weekend away and then come back as a visitor as you will most likely be refused entry and you don't want that on your record. I have read in places that it is in fact possible to change your Visa into a spousal visa since it's not points based but since the plan was always to move back to Canada we have not looked into it very much.

I personally did not get the Option C Printout as I understood that to be proof of the last 12 months income before you apply - which I had been working in the UK for the 12 months previous - pay stubs and letter from my employer proving this. I may have done that incorrectly though - it takes about 10 days to receive it through the post.

janicenewk

Feb 19, 2015
Hey (Blink1ate2 ) again:

What way did you send off your application? Did you just do it through Royal mail?

Thanks