+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Document Checklist

Irene

Nov 26, 2007
I am a Canadian citizen living outside the country and I am currently in the process of filling out the application to sponsor a member of the family class. The principal applicant is my spouse with no dependant children. My questions are:
1. Do I need the documents for the questions 17, 18 and 19 from the Document Checklist from Part A of the sponsorship application?
2. Can a family member ex. mother or father be a Co-signer on my application forms?
3. Do I need a co-signer? Is it better if I have one?

I hope someone can help me answer these questions.
Thanks,
Irene

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
When you are sponsoring a spouse with no dependent children - even though there is no low income cut off you still need to provide evidence that you are not receiving government assistance of any kind (other than for a disability) so yes, you will need to provide documentation under Question 18.

For 17, if your situation is such that you are not currently filing taxes in Canada you will not be able to provide an Option C printout so that would be N/A. If you are filing taxes in Canada you will need the printout.

For 18, if you are working overseas you will need to provide the information listed.

For 19, you don't need to meet the minimum income requirements so this is also N/A.

A co-signer can only be the spouse or common-law partner of the Sponsor so no, your mother or father cannot co-sign, nor is a co-signer applicable (or necessary) in your circumstances. (Refer top of Page 19 of the Guide to Sponsorship.)

Hope that helps.