+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship default

mikegrayson

Sep 29, 2016
Please i sponsored my mum way back in 2007 and she landed in December 2012. Purpose of her joining was to help take care of her granddaughters. i got married and she returned back to our home country Ghana since kids are grown ups now and a semi detached house was ready for her to occupy. Agreement was she could not live under the same roof with my husband and kids. She enjoys a monthly pension from the government of Ghana.

i am sponsoring my husband and CIC brought a letter notifying of a sponsorship default. my checks with some family members indicated she has sneaked into the country and was on ODSP. i went to ODSP office but they wont disclose any information to me. i called Ministry of community and social services and was told i owed almost $12300 which i must pay before a confirmation will be sent to CIC . i have 30days to settle this amount. Meanwhile, she has still not stopped receiving the ODSP.

Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's really not much you can do apart from pay the bill you have been sent (and be prepared to pay more). When you applied to sponsor your mother, you signed a legally binding agreement to support her financially for 10 years after landing (until December 2022). What this means is that if she goes on social assistance during these 10 years, you are responsible for paying this money back to the government. Your application to sponsor your husband unfortunately won't be approved while you are in default of this payment.

If you decided that she would be allowed to live under the same roof as your husband and children, then you should have made other arrangements to ensure she was housed elsewhere and generally taken care of financially. This responsibility is on you as the sponsor to take care of her financially (not on Canadian tax payers) - and will be for another six years.

Again, really nothing you can do since you agreed to support her financially when you sponsored her. Be glad it was a 10 year support requirement when your mother landed. It's 20 years now.

mikegrayson

Sep 29, 2016
THIS IS THE LETTER I RECEIVED:

Dear XXXX
This letter refers to your application for permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-law Partner
in Canada class.

Having reviewed your application, I have concerns that you may not meet the requirements for
immigration to Canada.

Subsection 13(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act states that a Canadian citizen or
permanent resident may, subject to the regulations, sponsor a foreign national who is a member of the
family class.

Subsection 124(c) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations states that a foreign national
is a member of the spouse or common—law partner in Canada class if they are the subject of a
sponsorship application.

Section 127 of the Regulations states that a foreign national who makes an application as a member of
the spouse or common—law partner in Canada class and their accompanying family members shall not
become a permanent resident unless a sponsorship undertaking in respect of the foreign national and
those family members is in effect and the sponsor who gave that undertaking still meets the
requirements of section 133 and, if applicable, section 137.

(a) subject to paragraph 137(c), is not in default of
(i) any undertaking, or
(ii) any support payment obligations ordered by a court”

I am not satisfied that you have a valid sponsor and are therefore not the subject of a sponsorship in
effect. Your sponsor is in default of a previous undertaking. Your sponsor is therefore ineligible to
sponsor your application for permanent residence. Accordingly, you may not meet the requirements of
the Regulations.

Subsection 16(1) of the Act states that a person who makes an application must answer truthfully all
questions put to them for the purpose of the examination and must produce a visa and all relevant
evidence and documents that the officer reasonably requires.

Subsections 72(1)(c) and 72(1)(d) of the Regulations indicates that a foreign national in Canada
becomes a permanent resident if, following an examination, it is established that they are a member of that class and they meet the selection criteria and other requirements applicable to that class.

The onus is on you to satisfy me that you have an eligible sponsor and meet the requirements of the
spouse or common-law partner in Canada class. I would therefore request that you send any information
and/or documents which you consider might respond to this concern within thirty (30) days from the
date of this letter, I must also advise you that failure to disabuse me of my concern may result in the
refusal of your application.

Please send the requested information documents and all future inquiries with respect to your
application via the Case Specific Enquiry form at the following link:
httpsdlsecure.cic.gc.calenduiries-renseignementslcanada-case-cas-enq.aspx.

In addition, the following information is also required:

All additional requested documents/information and a copy of this correspondence must be submitted
within the timeframes specified above (formatted as “year/month/day"). If you are unable to provide
any or all of the requested documents/information, please explain why they are not available. Failure
to provide the required documents may result in the refusal of your application for permanent residence.
Should this occur, no further consideration will be given to your request for permanent residence unless
a new application, Including fees, is submitted.

IMPORTANT: Passports for yourself and your family members must be valid for the duration of your
stay in Canada.

Sincerely,

Case Processing Centre Mississauga

mikegrayson

Sep 29, 2016
Per the regulations of ODSP, i was supposed to be notified when she applies. But nothing of that sort happened till the debt accumulated. She decided voluntarily to relocate to Ghana. She was not forcefully removed from my house. Secondly, she broke my first marriage when she landed and my spouse died from that shock. Also, she has been physical on myself and the kids. i attributed all this to age and cultural differences. Can i file a petition to ODSP to stop payment by stating all these facts?

mikegrayson

Sep 29, 2016
Please are the any legal avenues to resolve this? A family mediation group comprising of uncles, aunts plus church pastors have failed with its resolution. i am already neck deep in debts. i can't imagine a mother can do to this.

Somebody help me

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
mikegrayson said:
Per the regulations of ODSP, i was supposed to be notified when she applies. But nothing of that sort happened till the debt accumulated. She decided voluntarily to relocate to Ghana. She was not forcefully removed from my house. Secondly, she broke my first marriage when she landed and my spouse died from that shock. Also, she has been physical on myself and the kids. i attributed all this to age and cultural differences. Can i file a petition to ODSP to stop payment by stating all these facts?
ODSP won't stop payments because she has been mentally and/or physically abusive towards you. They will only stop payments if she doesn't qualify for ODSP. So you would need to prove she doesn't meet the requirements to be receiving ODSP.

Regardless what happens, any money she has already taken will have to be repaid by you before you can successfully sponsor your husband. Unfortunately there's no way around that. You are financially responsible for her until 2022.

I wish you the best of luck. It's a bad situation...

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
Interesting. . Did ODSP not send you a bill already? They generally are good at repayment demands. They were fast to force my ex and I into court to increase my support amount marginally -- despite an existing and binding contract.

That aside, scylla is right here. Unfortunately, you're on the hook. There is nothing you can do, besides trying to repay the debt before the 30 days is up. Alternatively, you can repay then refile for your spouse's PR. Or he can try EE or one of the economic classes.

mikegrayson

Sep 29, 2016
Strangely, ODSP never made contact to verify the application for support. I am at sea what's going on. Right now, repaying the debt wouldn't solve the problem since she has decided not to leave the housing facility she was given despite advise by all family members. And will not stop receiving monthly payments. Meanwhile, she receives another monthly pension back home on the blind side of the Canadian government.

profiler

VIP Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-MAR-2016
AOR Received.
13-MAY-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront; Passed
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
05-MAY-2017
mikegrayson said:
Strangely, ODSP never made contact to verify the application for support. I am at sea what's going on. Right now, repaying the debt wouldn't solve the problem since she has decided not to leave the housing facility she was given despite advise by all family members. And will not stop receiving monthly payments. Meanwhile, she receives another monthly pension back home on the blind side of the Canadian government.
I understand they won't verify with anyone, except health care providers to validate the disability claim. I am surprised they didn't start sending you bills, long before it got up that high.

That said, sounds like she may be committing fraud. Either here or at home.

ODSP requires recipients to claim any earnings or monies that augment the amount they provide. They then deduct this from her support amount. So, if she isn't claiming her benefit from home, and is still receiving it, she has violated her agreement with ODSP. They would pull support and never allow it again for misrepresentation.

However, I'm not sure what benefit she receives at home, she may have to be present in the country to continue receiving it...

Sounds like the possibility for trouble. Because it's your mother, you may want to avoid this trouble to avoid strife. If not, ODSP does permit people to advise on possible disability fraud....

EDIT: here is how to report it: http://www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/programs/social/fraud.aspx

Best of luck!