+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship chances

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
Hello guys! Would appreciate your help!
My boyfriend and I are in relationship for a year and he wants to sponsor me.
We are not living together yet but thinking to get married in the end of the summer and move to a bigger apartment (he owns a place but it is way too small for two people, though I am staying at his place 3-5 times a week.)
We are thinking have a small ceremony (just his family andclose friends of ours) and go for a honeymoon for a week or a bit less. Or just get married in Vegas.

I just bumped into a paper for officers 2015 (it is not in force now but used to so I am still worried about some aspects)Indicators of non-genuine relationship:
  • Chinese nationals, often university students, marrying non-Chinese (my boyfriend was born in China but moved at the age of 6 and now a Canadian citize n)
  • Photos that don’t include parents or family members, but rather small groups of six to 10 friends;
  • There are usually no “diamond” rings;
  • A small number of professionally taken wedding photos;

I know it is hard to tell but what are our chances? Should I wait for getting my 2-3 years work permit first so it will not seem like we are doing that cause my visa is expiring (I am on a Student visa now and will finish my degree in a bit less than a year)
What might be other red flags I am not aware of?
I am also worried that we are going to apply right after the wedding so we will not have our tax forms as evidence...

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
We are not living together yet but thinking to get married in the end of the summer and move to a bigger apartment (he owns a place but it is way too small for two people, though I am staying at his place 3-5 times a week.)
We are thinking have a small ceremony (just his family andclose friends of ours) and go for a honeymoon for a week or a bit less. Or just get married in Vegas.

I just bumped into a paper for officers 2015 (it is not in force now but used to so I am still worried about some aspects)Indicators of non-genuine relationship:
  • Chinese nationals, often university students, marrying non-Chinese (my boyfriend was born in China but moved at the age of 6 and now a Canadian citize n)
  • Photos that don’t include parents or family members, but rather small groups of six to 10 friends;

I know it is hard to tell but what are our chances? Should I wait for getting my 2-3 years work permit first so it will not seem like we are doing that cause my visa is expiring (I am on a Student visa now and will finish my degree in a bit less than a year)
I am also worried that we are going to apply right after the wedding so we will not have our tax forms as evidence...
There is no reason to worry about chances as long as you are married or meet common law requirements and are able to satisfy the checklist and submit a complete application.

Reactions: sveta and Anna007

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

With a one year relationship, you should be fine. Everything mentioned there depends on cultural context. Where are you from?

Your partner originally being from China doesn't mean anything; to put it bluntly, they are referring to a person from China marrying a white Canadian.

Reactions: Anna007 and k.h.p.

Anna007

Star Member
Jul 4, 2018
Vancouver
With a one year relationship, you should be fine. Everything mentioned there depends on cultural context. Where are you from?

Your partner originally being from China doesn't mean anything; to put it bluntly, they are referring to a person from China marrying a white Canadian.
Thank you so much for reply! I am from Ukraine.

E19

May 16, 2019
There is no reason to worry about chances as long as you are married or meet common law requirements and are able to satisfy the checklist and submit a complete application.
Hi, I have a question about my case please. I am in Canada on a work permit and applied for PR through PNP in 2017, I received my COPR on Apr 2019 has not landed yet. My cousin and I had a relationship years ago which ended in breakup. when I moved to Vancouver she was already in Montreal on a student visa and we started contacting each other. long story short I convinced her to give our relationship another chance. she came and lived with me in the same address from Feb 2018 but the relationship wasn't marriage like as we were trying to figure it out. after couple of month of living together we decided that we want to start the committed relationship. My mom was here when I proposed and my brother came to Canada and we had a small dinner (as engagement ) on Sep 2018 her parants weren't here because it was a surprise. we don't have any shared accounts or joint utility account or leased signed together for this period (Feb 2018 to June 2019) we now moved to a new place just recently and we now have signed lease together, joint utility account and joint bank account. I am planning to sponsor her after I landed ( which will happen sometime soon in June or July) Do you think I need to prove that we weren't in a marriage like relationship from Feb 2018 to Sep 2018? I talked to a lawyer and he didn't mention any probable issues and he didnt say that we need to prove that!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I have a question about my case please. I am in Canada on a work permit and applied for PR through PNP in 2017, I received my COPR on Apr 2019 has not landed yet. My cousin and I had a relationship years ago which ended in breakup. when I moved to Vancouver she was already in Montreal on a student visa and we started contacting each other. long story short I convinced her to give our relationship another chance. she came and lived with me in the same address from Feb 2018 but the relationship wasn't marriage like as we were trying to figure it out. after couple of month of living together we decided that we want to start the committed relationship. My mom was here when I proposed and my brother came to Canada and we had a small dinner (as engagement ) on Sep 2018 her parants weren't here because it was a surprise. we don't have any shared accounts or joint utility account or leased signed together for this period (Feb 2018 to June 2019) we now moved to a new place just recently and we now have signed lease together, joint utility account and joint bank account. I am planning to sponsor her after I landed ( which will happen sometime soon in June or July) Do you think I need to prove that we weren't in a marriage like relationship from Feb 2018 to Sep 2018? I talked to a lawyer and he didn't mention any probable issues and he didnt say that we need to prove that!
Yes you are likely to run into problems if you were living together for a year but didn’t declare her as common law. It is very hard to prove that you were roommates especially since she moved across the country to live with you.

E19

May 16, 2019
Yes you are likely to run into problems if you were living together for a year but didn’t declare her as common law. It is very hard to prove that you were roommates especially since she moved across the country to live with you.
do you know of any cases similar to us that I can look up?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You need to declare her and add her to your app as your common-law partner. If you land without adding her and then try to sponsor her, you can expect a refusal.

Reactions: sveta

E19

May 16, 2019
You need to declare her and add her to your app as your common-law partner. If you land without adding her and then try to sponsor her, you can expect a refusal.
Thanks for your reply! the weird thing is that I consulted with the lawfirm whom handled my PNP, Workpermit and PR application and they did not raise any concerns about that. Also in the evaluation form it asks the period "you have been living together after your conjugal* relationship started" as though the living together and having conjugal relationships should be separated.
I will ask another lawyer and hope I still have time to fix it if it is a real concern. Please send me any similar case you know of, thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for your reply! the weird thing is that I consulted with the lawfirm whom handled my PNP, Workpermit and PR application and they did not raise any concerns about that. Also in the evaluation form it asks the period "you have been living together after your conjugal* relationship started" as though the living together and having conjugal relationships should be separated.
I will ask another lawyer and hope I still have time to fix it if it is a real concern. Please send me any similar case you know of, thanks!
There are many similar cases and they pretty much all ended in refusal. The issue is proving to IRCC that you were NOT in a relationship when you first started living together. It is next to impossible to prove this.

E19

May 16, 2019
There are many similar cases and they pretty much all ended in refusal. The issue is proving to IRCC that you were NOT in a relationship when you first started living together. It is next to impossible to prove this.
Can you send me any links of similar cases as I couldnt find anything matching our case i.e. the officer implies that the start of living together is indeed the start of conjugal relationship. I have seen cases in which people didn't declare common-law relationship in past (for 7-8 years) but not 4 month like our case

Thanks!

E19

May 16, 2019
There is many cases that are undeclared common-law. But u said “she came and lived with me in the same address from Feb 2018”. Isn’t it already one year of cohabiting together and makes you common law? How can you prove to immigration that you were not in a relationship during this time? I think it is good that you “we don't have any shared accounts or joint utility account or leased signed together for this period from February 2018- to June 2019. But what about her credit cards? Some other mail? Her tax? School documents? Was it sent to your place?
having the same address is obvious and I was not going to hide that but she has a part time job and we had separate credit cards. as I have not landed yet I will declare her if I know for sure that ti will be a problem (which is becoming apparent) if thats the case I will sue the lawfirm for wrong legal advice!