+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship and open work permit

Jun 24, 2011
Hello,
We have been waiting for two years for my boyfriends PR to be finished and since March we haven't had any news, I am afraid that next time they'll say that some of the documents are no longer valid and it's going to take another year or more to complete the stupid procedure . . . we have been apart for 2 years, how much longer can they make us wait (he has applied inland . . . stupid, but he hadn't done his research on time).
Anyways, he got a tourist visa and I wonder what we should do. I don't know if waiting will result in anything, They already asked him to do the medical exams in the beginning of 2010, now, he'll probably have to redo them at least. . . but I think that if they are not communicating with us for so long, this my continue for a long time . . . the other thing we could do is get married, the I can sponsor him (I am a full time student, working part time, but he has a bachelor’s degree from here and a masters from a good European university, he knows both English and French is only 26, what seems to me a very good candidate, he has lived here for 4 years already and has family here too). If we do that, he has to be able to find a job in a few months, I read that it might take 6 months to get an open work permit, but then I read it might take 10+ months . . . we could figure out something for 6 months . . . but he will have to find a job fast. How long does it actually take? Will he get a medical card and when will he be allowed to? Is it only after he gets the PR card? What about a driving permit? I have plane tickets and tons of pictures for evidence that we have been together for over 3 years and that I have visited him for the 2 years that we have been apart. Would they reimburse us for the skilled worker procedure if we are applying for another procedure?
I just can’t stand the separation anymore, as a Canadian citizen I have the right to be with the person I love for God’s sake!
Please, I will be very grateful if anyone can answer my questions, it is not like the immigration authorities are very helpful when you e-mail them and in Buffalo there is no phone number where you can reach them. . .
THANK YOU

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
06/05/2011 Received in Buffalo, 06/2011 to Los Angeles
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
waived...obviously cuz we got the PPR
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
24/8/2011 in our hands 8/29/2011
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
1.) if you are doing an inland application how can you be apart?? You are supposed to be living together in Canada

2.) what type of sponsorship did you originally file for? and who is his sponsor?

Once you clarify the above people may be able to give you some advice or guidance....

Jun 24, 2011
He studied here when he applied, that is why it is inland, but he left shortly after he applied.
We are not married, but I am trying to decide if it is a good option.

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
0979230 said:
He studied here when he applied, that is why it is inland, but he left shortly after he applied.
We are not married, but I am trying to decide if it is a good option.
He has to be here in Canada in order for an application to be processed....who sponsored him back then??

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I think the boyfriend applied via skilled federal worker class - not family class.

Jun 24, 2011
The big problem was that his certificat de selection was issued in 2010, but it was going to be valid in 2011 and the Quebec authorities refused to send another one, this information had to be sent to the federal authorities and that was done in March 2011, since they recieved a proof that he is not getting a new certificat de selection, we haven't had any news, but the one in question was supposed to be valid starting some time in may 2011 so they might have decided to just for it be valid before proceding any further . . . but if they had already asked for the medical exam (and he has sent it) it means that the procedure should be near it's end I believe, but even if they waited until the document was valid in may, it still has been 6 moths that we have had no news at all. . . they always answer his emails him saying that they can't give him any date when a decision will be possibly made . . . and online it says that he's applicatio was recieved december 2009. . . can't they hurry up at least because it has been 2 years already . . . :(

Jun 24, 2011
scylla said:
I think the boyfriend applied via skilled federal worker class - not family class.
yes, that's right . . . the thing is that he didn't know that he is supposed stay here for the time they are proceeding the application and they surely now he hasn't been in Canada, because he has had no visa and he was just approved for a tourist visa, it seems like it's not a big deal that he applied inland, but didn't stay here . . . at least they have not cotacted him about the matter and they still have been proceeding the application . . .

Stumpedmom

Sep 16, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/03/2011 Receivd CPC-M
AOR Received.
16/06/2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
12/10/2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
16/8/2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
3/9/2011
0979230 said:
yes, that's right . . . the thing is that he didn't know that he is supposed stay here for the time they are proceeding the application and they surely now he hasn't been in Canada, because he has had no visa and he was just approved for a tourist visa, it seems like it's not a big deal that he applied inland, but didn't stay here . . . at least they have not cotacted him about the matter and they still have been proceeding the application . . .
You should be asking the timeline question in the federal skilled worker forum...

I do know that CIC made some changes that do not benefit anyone who applied before a certain time line....have you checked the timeline on the CIC website...if not, check there, and also if you are in Canada, you can go to your MP...

And if he is not inland, it is a big deal...that could be why nothing has happened, they may have cancelled the application....

Jun 24, 2011
online it says it's still in process and in March when they asked for the additional papers, he was already out of canada for over a year . . .