+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring your In-Laws

sry786

Sep 1, 2015
Hi,

I am a Canadian citizen and I recently sponsored my wife. It has been almost two years since my wife arrived from Pakistan. I am currently a PhD student in my second-last year and my wife is also a student in BEd. I wanted to know the following and get everyone's opinion on:

1. Can my wife (as a PR) sponsor my in-laws (my wife's parents and their dependent son)?
2. I understand we have to show over $50,000 in annual income to sponsor 3 individuals. My wife and I are both students. I earn roughly $40,000 a year as part of my scholarships and stipends. This money does not show up as income on my tax forms because it is a non-taxable scholarship. My wife currently does not work and is taking student loans (~$15,000). Are we able to apply? Would we be eligible?

Your opinions and discussions are greatly valued.Thank you.

sinx23

Apr 8, 2017
No, not yet because you need to meet the minimum income requirements for sponsoring parents and grandparents. And it needs to be a three conscutive year income that you need to meet. If you have no children then your family size count will be 5. You have to meet the minimum income for 5 person for three years. Search the PGP income table so you will know what I mean..

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also remember it is a lottery so no guarantees you will get picked once your income meets the minimum income requirement for 3 years.