+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring your husband when you don't have income

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
Hi, This question is from a friend of mine.

My friend's daughter recently got married. She is 17 Years of age. The husband is 22. My friend and his daughter is PR of Canada. The husband is also in Canada on a study permit. Now that they are married, she needs to sponsor her husband. But the problem is she is 17 years of age and as such she had no income of her own , hence no NOA and other stuffs . How can she sponsor her husband in this scenario? Her father is also available to sponsor his son-in -law. Can he do it ? or is there any way both my friend and his daughter jointly sponsors the husband here.

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
She is too young to sponsor. Also the father in law is not eligible to sponsor him. She will have to wait until she is 18 I think.

unfrgvn

Star Member
Dec 3, 2012
zardoz said:
She is too young to sponsor. Also the father in law is not eligible to sponsor him. She will have to wait until she is 18 I think.
Thanks for your reply
So , even if she turns 18 , she won't have any fund/ no job . she is still a student. How can she sponsor her husband without having a regular job/ funds? can her father show her that she is still underage and supports her husband in this?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
To sponsor a spouse, you don't have to prove a definite level of income. You just have to demonstrate that you would be able to support the applicant. The father could help with this but cannot be a sponsoring signatory. At 18 she would not be underage.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The father cannot sponsor his son-in-law directly. The daughter can sponsor her husband once she is 18. However, she can include a letter or affidavit from her father in the application, saying that her father will be providing the two of them a place to stay until she graduates from university (or whatever the situation is), and that he will be supporting them while they study. He can include proof of his income to show he is able to do this.