+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring wife who is on working holiday visa

m6wong

Feb 11, 2018
Hello everyone.

My wife and I are currently living and working in Australia as dentists. I am Canadian, my wife is Australian and we met in dental school in Melbourne. We intend on settling in Canada for the long term. For several reasons, we decided to not go through sponsorship earlier, but mainly because we were not married until mid 2017. She has been granted a working holiday visa, and an open work permit in Canada until 2022. We are relocating to Ontario in less than 2 months (April 2018). Should we submit our application for sponsorship now or wait until we move to Canada? From what I'm reading, it seems as though that there is no guarantee for my wife to re-enter canada if she decides to leave the country? Is this true also for weekend trips into the US?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
You might as well apply now with an OUTLAND app. With an OUTLAND app, the applicant can be in or out of Canada, it doesn't matter.

There is zero need for you to even consider an INLAND app, since she is visa exempt and has no need for the open work permit.

With an OUTLAND app in progress, there should be no issues for her to come and go from Canada as often or as long as she wants while PR app is processing.

m6wong

Feb 11, 2018
You might as well apply now with an OUTLAND app. With an OUTLAND app, the applicant can be in or out of Canada, it doesn't matter.

There is zero need for you to even consider an INLAND app, since she is visa exempt and has no need for the open work permit.

With an OUTLAND app in progress, there should be no issues for her to come and go from Canada as often or as long as she wants while PR app is processing.
Thanks for your reply.

What would happen once PR is granted? does she have to leave the country and re-enter?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thanks for your reply.

What would happen once PR is granted? does she have to leave the country and re-enter?
She would either have to do that or simply flagpole at the US border , that is cross to the US side get an admin refusal of entry without entering the US and then return to the Canadian side to complete her landing.

Note that CBSA on the Canadian side in some Ontario crossing points have imposed restrictions on flagpolers and will only process on Tues/Weds/Thurs whether this is a long term thing or even in place outside the summer no idea but something to keep in mind. Alternatively in some cities it is possible to book an appointment with immigration to complete a landing.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Thanks for your reply.

She can do this, or can make an appointment at a local IRCC office to do the landing.

m6wong

Feb 11, 2018
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Also would suggest settling somewhere else than the GTA where there are too many dentists.
Thanks for this. Have been well aware of the crappy dental job market around the GTA even before dental school. Have been working in rural Australia, and hope to do the same in Ontario.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Seems many on thr forum (especially from India for some reason) are unaware how much retraining they will have to do practice and the limittes sports. Also don't realize that that the larger cities have too many dentists especially the GTA. Great to hear that your planning on going to an underserved community.

Reactions: m6wong

m6wong

Feb 11, 2018
Seems many on thr forum (especially from India for some reason) are unaware how much retraining they will have to do practice and the limittes sports. Also don't realize that that the larger cities have too many dentists especially the GTA. Great to hear that your planning on going to an underserved community.
Very similar phenomenon with Indian dentists in Australia. There are MANY dental schools in India.

Thank goodness Australian dental degrees (starting from 2010) are recognized in Canada and vice versa. We just had to sit the same licensing exams and register in a province like any other dental graduate from Canada or the US would.

I don't think many dental grads get a lot of rural dental exposure in dental school. if they did, they would know that practicing rurally is more rewarding and fulfilling.

Last edited:

Arctic Circle

Dec 16, 2017
Sorry to hijack your thread for a moment, but quick question for you @m6wong:

Did your wife get her holiday visa approved AFTER you were already married? My husband and I also got married in mid-2017. We've been gathering documents for a spousal visa, but the idea of him coming on a holiday visa, getting established in Canada, and still being able to work sounds enticing. I thought him being married to a Canadian might make him coming on the holiday visa difficult, but if we could get the WHV first and then apply for spousal visa while in Canada it would be awesome.

m6wong

Feb 11, 2018
@Arctic Circle when she applied for the working holiday visa, she listed me as a de facto as we were not married yet. the visa was not granted until after we got married.

The time line was as follows:
February 2017: applied for working holiday visa
May 2017: got maried
July 2017: working holiday visa granted

Arctic Circle

Dec 16, 2017
@Arctic Circle when she applied for the working holiday visa, she listed me as a de facto as we were not married yet. the visa was not granted until after we got married.

The time line was as follows:
February 2017: applied for working holiday visa
May 2017: got maried
July 2017: working holiday visa granted
Did she have to update her status when she got the visa approved that she was married? From the sounds of your timeline, you guys being married didn't affect the approval at all. Though, what do you mean by she listed you as "de facto?"

Sorry for all the questions! If the WHV isn't possible for us since we've been married for almost a year, then I don't even want to entertain it any further. I don't see a lot of threads of people who were already married going for the WHV and it's not something I'm seeing a lot of info on in other visa websites.

m6wong

Feb 11, 2018
@Arctic Circle sorry, de facto is the equivalent of common law in Australia. I have a habit of confusing Australian and Canadian terms.

she did not update her status. I doubt it matters.

We only went ahead with WHV because we felt like it was the easier thing to apply for, which it is. In hind sight, we should have just done the sponsorship from the beginning.