+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring wife after PR

dgmockingjay

Jul 22, 2018
So I am planning on moving to Canada. But my family is insisting that I get married to my girlfriend soon after I get a PR.

Question is: If I get a PR before marriage, and land in Canada, and after living there for 8-10 months, come back to India, get married and take my wife with me. What would be the procedure for that??

Does she needs to get IELTS as well?? I want to avoid doing that because she may not be able to get the required bands. Furthermore, is she eligible to work in Canada as a PR holder if we manage to move there??

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
If you apply for PR....be careful you must provide the correct Marital Status before landing as PR in Canada.

If you get a PR before marriage, and land in Canada......and later go back to marry your girlfriend in India.....you can sponsor your wife for PR in Canada....but the spousal sponsorship processing takes around 12months to complete and for PR visa to be issued for your wife to come to Canada.

For spousal sponsorship application forms and documents checklist......refer.......Get your checklist, forms and instructions
You need to submit the sponsorship documents as required in the spousal sponsorship checklist.

If you marry before landing as PR in Canada....you must inform IRCC of the change of Marital Status before landing as PR.

Note: Spousal Sponsorship process takes 12months to complete

Landed PR in Canada are eligible to work in Canada.

IELTS is not a requirement for spousal sponsorship.....For EE, you get points for spouse’s language but IELTS is not mandatory for spouse, even if he or she is accompanying you. If you have enough points to qualify without your spouse language IELTS, you could still qualify for EE and get an ITA.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/express-entry-expression-of-interest.54/?order=post_date

Last edited:
Reactions: dgmockingjay

dgmockingjay

Jul 22, 2018
I
If you apply for PR....be careful you must provide the correct Marital Status before landing as PR in Canada.

If you get a PR before marriage, and land in Canada......and later go back to marry your girlfriend in India.....you can sponsor your wife for PR in Canada....but the spousal sponsorship processing takes around 12months to complete and for PR visa to be issued for your wife to come to Canada.

For spousal sponsorship application forms and documents checklist......refer.......Get your checklist, forms and instructions
You need to submit the sponsorship documents as required in the spousal sponsorship checklist.

If you marry before landing as PR in Canada....you must inform IRCC of the change of Marital Status before landing as PR.

Note: Spousal Sponsorship process takes 12months to complete

Landed PR in Canada are eligible to work in Canada.
I don't plan on marrrying before getting a PR and landing in canada because then she will definitely require IELTS which she may not be able to do.

l read somewhere that after marriage I can get her to Canada on travel visa which doesn't take much time. And then she can apply for work visa there so we can support ourselves there. And in the meanwhile get the spousal sponsorship done which takes a year. Is it true?? I can't get married in India and have her stay in India away from me for a year and wait for spousal sponsorship. It is already hard enough for us to be separated for 8-10 months that I am planning on staying in Canada without her

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
I

I don't plan on marrrying before getting a PR and landing in canada because then she will definitely require IELTS which she may not be able to do.

l read somewhere that after marriage I can get her to Canada on travel visa which doesn't take much time. And then she can apply for work visa there so we can support ourselves there. And in the meanwhile get the spousal sponsorship done which takes a year. Is it true?? I can't get married in India and have her stay in India away from me for a year and wait for spousal sponsorship. It is already hard enough for us to be separated for 8-10 months that I am planning on staying in Canada without her
IELTS is not required for spousal sponsorship. If your future wife will be able to get a visitor visa to Canada sure you can apply inland and get an open work permit and then wait together these 12 months (approximately) in Canada and your spouse would be able to work as well. But sometimes it’s not easy to get a visitor visa and denial rate is high especially for those who have spouses in Canada as it makes it hard to show strong ties to your home country. If she couldn’t get a visitor visa then you’d have to apply Outland and your spouse will have to wait these 12 months in her home country. It is hard to be separated for such a long time but that’s what the majority of people on this forum go through right now.

Reactions: dgmockingjay

dgmockingjay

Jul 22, 2018
IELTS is not required for spousal sponsorship. If your future wife will be able to get a visitor visa to Canada sure you can apply inland and get an open work permit and then wait together these 12 months (approximately) in Canada and your spouse would be able to work as well. But sometimes it’s not easy to get a visitor visa and denial rate is high especially for those who have spouses in Canada as it makes it hard to show strong ties to your home country. If she couldn’t get a visitor visa then you’d have to apply Outland and your spouse will have to wait these 12 months in her home country. It is hard to be separated for such a long time but that’s what the majority of people on this forum go through right now.
Can I get married after getting a PR, let ircc kniw about the marriage and not take her with me and apply for spousal sponsorship??

mrs_december

Star Member
Jun 10, 2017
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
03-05-2018
AOR Received.
09-06-2018
File Transfer...
26-06-2018
Med's Request
18-06-2018
Med's Done....
06-07-2018
Passport Req..
22-08-2018
VISA ISSUED...
29-08-2018
LANDED..........
02-09-2018
Can I get married after getting a PR, let ircc kniw about the marriage and not take her with me and apply for spousal sponsorship??
1. Yes you can marry after you land as a PR. As long as you are not married or common-law prior to your landing then there is not an issue.
2. You are not obligated to declare your marriage to IRCC except within the application for your wife's PR.
3. She can remain in her home country while you apply for her sponsorship.

Ukrainian girl

Oct 7, 2017
App. Filed.......
22-12-2017
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
Med's Request
07-03-2018
Yes, you can get married after you complete your landing in Canada and officially become a PR and then apply to sponsor your spouse. But make sure you do your landing first and become a PR because if you get married before your landing you’d be obliged to inform IRCC about your marriage and include your wife in your application.