+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring unmarried elder sister

jupef

Oct 1, 2016
Hello,

I and my spouse are applying for Canadian PR. Once we move there, the next thing we are planning to do is sponsor PR for mother and unmarried elder sister.

Can someone please confirm if we can sponsor PR for both? As far as I have read, you cannot sponsor for two family relatives.

Thanks!

M

mikeymyke

Can't sponsor sister since you have a spouse and a mother who's alive.

You can sponsor the mom, but not for about 4 years, and you still have to meet 3 years of income requirement

jupef

Oct 1, 2016
Thank you for reply mikeymyke.

So we cannot sponsor mother's PR for 4 years? And I can never sponsor for elder sister as I am already with my spouse and mother?

Did I get that right?

Sigh :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jupef said:
Thank you for reply mikeymyke.

So we cannot sponsor mother's PR for 4 years? And I can never sponsor for elder sister as I am already with my spouse and mother?

Did I get that right?
As said above, to sponsor your mother, you must meet the income requirement for 3 years. If you move to Canada soon and meet the LICO for 2017, 2018 and 2019, you will be able to apply to sponsor your mother in 2021.

There is no sibling sponsorship stream in Canada, so you will not be able to sponsor your sister.

jupef

Oct 1, 2016
Thank you canuck_in_uk

This will be supposedly my last question on this thread.

I and my spouse - both of us will be working in Canada. We still won't be able to sponsor mother and sister - both - right?

Can we atleast sponsor for both of our parents? My mother, father and my spouse's mother!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jupef said:
I and my spouse - both of us will be working in Canada. We still won't be able to sponsor mother and sister - both - right?

Can we atleast sponsor for both of our parents? My mother, father and my spouse's mother!
It doesn't matter if you are both working. Siblings can't be sponsored.

Provided you meet the LICO required to sponsor all 3 parents, you can do so.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
jupef said:
In order to sponsor 2 parents only, and if there are only 2 of you (so family size of 4), you and your wife would need to be making approx $58K income in Canada for 3 straight years. To sponsor your wife's mom also (family size of 5), your combined income would need to be approx $65K per year.

If you and your wife have any kids, or have any kids during the initial 4 years living in Canada waiting to qualify, family size will increase and your income amount will increase another $8K-$9K per child.

All info is here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5772ETOC.asp

To repeat what was already stated, there is no sponsorship available to sponsor a sister that doesn't qualify as dependent (over age 18).

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
bellaluna said:
Unless I misunderstood it, what about this one?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/relatives-apply-who.asp

In any case, OP can't qualify for this anyway because he has a spouse who is PR.
This is the "lonely Canadian" rule. To sponsor a random family member you need to be single, no kids, no family in Canada, and no living parents anywhere in the world.