+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring TRV for parents from USA

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
Hi

I work in the US and recently did a soft landing in Canada for my Canadian permanent residency.
My parents are visiting me in the US in April and I am looking to sponsor them for a Canadian tourist visa.
We plan to drive to Toronto from New York and will spend about a week there. We will be staying with relatives there.
My parents are retired.

1. Can I sponsor my parents if I do not really live in Canada at the moment?
2. Can I show my US bank statements, tax returns, employment letter, salary slips, etc for proof of funds? I would assume it should work since it worked for PR application.
3. What documents do my parents need to furnish to show ties to home country- property deed, Fixed Deposit slips, LIC, etc? How much funds should they show?
4. Can they apply for a TRV from the US?

Thanks
RK

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You cannot sponsor your parents for a TRV. You can give them an invitation letter.

The IRCC provides a list of information that must be in an invitation letter: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

The letter must include your Canadian address, phone number, PR card, job title, and other information.

Your parents must show their proof of funds. The question is not whether you can pay for their visit - but what evidence do they have that they will be able to afford the visit and leave Canada. If they do not provide proof of their own funds but you do, you're essentially proving to IRCC that you will help them overstay their visa.

They must show documents of ties to their home country, ability to afford the visit, and reasons why they will leave Canada at the end of their visit.

Applicants who apply from third countries - not their home country - face a harder time being approved because they are already not in their home country and proof of ties to their current country of residence (in your parents' case, the US) would be very hard to prove, especially since they would be visitors.

So really,

1. You can't sponsor them, you can invite them, but you need to have Canadian address and similar information.
2. You can, but it won't help necessarily.
3. As much as they can provide.
4. They can but it may not be best.

Reactions: krohit01

krohit01

Nov 12, 2019
You cannot sponsor your parents for a TRV. You can give them an invitation letter.

The IRCC provides a list of information that must be in an invitation letter: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/letter-invitation.html

The letter must include your Canadian address, phone number, PR card, job title, and other information.

Your parents must show their proof of funds. The question is not whether you can pay for their visit - but what evidence do they have that they will be able to afford the visit and leave Canada. If they do not provide proof of their own funds but you do, you're essentially proving to IRCC that you will help them overstay their visa.

They must show documents of ties to their home country, ability to afford the visit, and reasons why they will leave Canada at the end of their visit.

Applicants who apply from third countries - not their home country - face a harder time being approved because they are already not in their home country and proof of ties to their current country of residence (in your parents' case, the US) would be very hard to prove, especially since they would be visitors.

So really,

1. You can't sponsor them, you can invite them, but you need to have Canadian address and similar information.
2. You can, but it won't help necessarily.
3. As much as they can provide.
4. They can but it may not be best.
Thanks for the details.