+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SPONSORING THE PARENTS WHILE ON DISABILITY

PARAMHAMS03

Dec 31, 2005
India
Hi,

Can you throw light on whether a Canadian citizen could sponsor parents while on ODSP support. Total ODSP support for the family is around 1600 dollars per month. If it is possible at all how long would it take to sponsor parents from Pakistan?

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
whille sponsoring parents you need to meet the LICO for the duration of the sponsorship so being on disablity do u meet the income requirements for u n all in your canadian household along with who you intend to add

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can find the LICO table here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp It is the 3rd table. It shows for example that if you are a family of 4, you need enough income for 4 plus parents so that is 6 people. That would be $52,838 per year.

If your spouse co-signs the application, you can count their income as well.

It takes a long time to process parents. The applications are first processed in Mississauga, currently takes 45 months to approve the sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp and after that another 42 months in Islamabad so total about 7 years.

PARAMHAMS03

Dec 31, 2005
India
Thanks a lot Guys. I have asked the question on behalf of a friend of mine. I will sit with him to work out the details on the basis of the guidance that you have given me. Thanks again.

PARAMHAMS03

Dec 31, 2005
India
I have one more question. Any idea as to how long it takes to sponsor parents from India. Is it the same as for Pakistan which is about 7 years?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
According to the links above, 45 months to approve sponsor in Missisauga and after that another 31 months in New Delhi so total about 5.5 years.

Just curious, are your friend's parents living in both countries?

PARAMHAMS03

Dec 31, 2005
India
Hi Steaky,

I appreciate your sense of humour.

The second question about the timeline from New Delhi is for my elderlyparents in law residing at the moment in India.

Sense of humour is a capacity to laugh at oneself. Well, I am able to laugh at my earlier question and thanks for providing the lighter moment.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In order to apply through New Delhi, they must have a long term visa, at least a year.