+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring the brother

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
Who you can sponsor
Depending on your circumstances, there are two options for who you can sponsor.

Option 1 – Orphaned close relatives

Option 2 – Other relative

You may sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age if you meet all of the following conditions:

you do not have a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner, or one of the following living relatives you could sponsor instead:
son or daughter,
parent,
grandparent,
brother or sister,
uncle, aunt,
nephew or niece.
you do not have any of the above-named relatives who is a:
Canadian citizen,
permanent resident, or
registered Indian under the Indian Act.
Hello everyone,

I could not understand this Option 2 mentioned above. I am married (no children) and we both are Canadian PR holders. I want to sponsor my brother-in-law, who is 35 years old and working in India. Parents of both of us are alive and in India.

In simple language, can we sponsor him, or not?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - you can't.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
scylla said:
No - you can't.
Well, that was simple indeed.

Is it because that Option 2 suggests there ought to be only 1 living relative, only then that person can be sponsored. The moment you happen to have two or more living relatives from that list, you can not sponsor anyone?

Also, is that true even if we become citizens in future?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lets_try said:
Well, that was simple indeed.

Is it because that Option 2 suggests there ought to be only 1 living relative, only then that person can be sponsored. The moment you happen to have two or more living relatives from that list, you can not sponsor anyone?

Also, is that true even if we become citizens in future?
It's because your spouse is married to you. Your spouse would need to be single, with no children, no living parents and no family living in Canada to qualify to sponsor the brother.

It will be no different once you are citizens.

Brother has to qualify on his own.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
scylla said:
It's because your spouse is married to you. Your spouse would need to be single, with no children, no living parents and no family living in Canada to qualify to sponsor the brother.

It will be no different once you are citizens.

Brother has to qualify on his own.
What a cryptic rule it is. ::)

Anyhow, hypothetically speaking, in the event of no living parents, and she divorcing me (look what I am writing :-[ ), she will qualify to sponsor her brother? Adding that she also has two sisters in India, one married and one unmarried. They would have to die too? to make CIC happy. :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Provided she has no family in Canada (e.g. aunt, uncle, etc.), if you really divorced and both parents were deceased - then she would qualify to sponsor him. That's why this is commonly referred to as the "lonely Canadian" rule.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
scylla said:
Provided she has no family in Canada (e.g. aunt, uncle, etc.), if you really divorced and both parents were deceased - then she would qualify to sponsor him. That's why this is commonly referred to as the "lonely Canadian" rule.
Ok. So I take that sisters or other relatives in India don't matter. They can safely keep on living, without affecting his chances of sponsorship.

+1 for your help Sir. (not yet eligible to actually give it though)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
lets_try said:
Ok. So I take that sisters or other relatives in India don't matter. They can safely keep on living, without affecting his chances of sponsorship.
Yes - that's right. Also - your divorce would have to be genuine and not done for the sole purpose of facilitating the sponsorship. CIC would most likely investigate quite closely to make sure.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
scylla said:
Yes - that's right. Also - your divorce would have to be genuine and not done for the sole purpose of facilitating the sponsorship. CIC would most likely investigate quite closely to make sure.
I love my wife too much to give her divorce for this, or any reason. :) I was just saying hypothetically.

I get the gist that this sponsoring the brother is not possible because it is only encouraged for 'lonely Canadians'. But one thing I didn't get is that why do immediate relatives like parents must NOT be living, while living sisters is fine with CIC.

M

mikeymyke

lets_try said:
I love my wife too much to give her divorce for this, or any reason. :) I was just saying hypothetically.

I get the gist that this sponsoring the brother is not possible because it is only encouraged for 'lonely Canadians'. But one thing I didn't get is that why do immediate relatives like parents must NOT be living, while living sisters is fine with CIC.
I want to know that too, where it says that parents take priority over siblings

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
lets_try said:
There is already a formal immigration stream for parents/grandparents. So if your parents are alive, it's expected you would use that stream to sponsor them to Canada. Only if this option doesn't exist, then you can look at the "other" relatives if you qualify.

lets_try

Aug 10, 2016
Rob_TO said:
There is already a formal immigration stream for parents/grandparents. So if your parents are alive, it's expected you would use that stream to sponsor them to Canada. Only if this option doesn't exist, then you can look at the "other" relatives if you qualify.
I am still at trouble understanding this clause completely. Please let me know if I got it right....

1. The person who is going to sponsor, must be a 'lonely Canadian' i.e single and no other relatives (immediate and other) living IN Canada.

2. The parents also need NOT be living, whether IN or OUT of Canada. (They must be excluded because there is already a sponsorship stream for them)

If 1 and 2 is true, then no matter how many relatives you have living OUT of Canada, you may sponsor any 1 of them.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
lets_try said:
I am still at trouble understanding this clause completely. Please let me know if I got it right....

1. The person who is going to sponsor, must be a 'lonely Canadian' i.e single and no other relatives (immediate and other) living IN Canada.

2. The parents also need NOT be living, whether IN or OUT of Canada. (They must be excluded because there is already a sponsorship stream for them)

If 1 and 2 is true, then no matter how many relatives you have living OUT of Canada, you may sponsor any 1 of them.
Correct.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
lets_try said:

To clarify any one relatives, cousins doesn't qualify as one of any relatives.