+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Spouse

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
Hi, I'm a Canadian PR holder and what are the requirements to sponsor my wife ? ( I recieved PR status before we got married )

Can i start the process as soon as i land in Canada or do i need to do the following ?

1. ) Find a Job ?
2. ) Do i need to show minimum income ?
3. ) Do i need to show a rent agreement ?
4. ) How many months of pay slips do i need to submit if needed ?
5. ) What are the other important docs required ?
6. ) Processing times ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, I'm a Canadian PR holder and what are the requirements to sponsor my wife ? ( I recieved PR status before we got married )

Can i start the process as soon as i land in Canada or do i need to do the following ?

1. ) Find a Job ?
6. ) Processing times ?l
Please clarify, you have not landed yet but got married? Can you clarify dates, when you got each stage including passport back with COPR and when you got married?

Warning, there is potentially a VERY big difference.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. ) Find a Job ?
6. ) Processing times ?
As already explained in your other thread, you cannot sponsor your spouse until you are once again in compliance with the Residency Obligation, so you are years away. This is, of course, assuming you are able to enter without being reported and losing your PR status.

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
As already explained in your other thread, you cannot sponsor your spouse until you are once again in compliance with the Residency Obligation, so you are years away. This is, of course, assuming you are able to enter without being reported and losing your PR status.
so according to what your saying a PR holder who got PR status before marriage has to come to Canada stay for 730 days and then only apply for the spouse visa ? I was told by an immigration lawyer that you can apply for a spouse visa if you have a valid PR status at the point of applying. would like to know more about this ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
so according to what your saying a PR holder who got PR status before marriage has to come to Canada stay for 730 days and then only apply for the spouse visa ? I was told by an immigration lawyer that you can apply for a spouse visa if you have a valid PR status at the point of applying. would like to know more about this ?
A PR who is in compliance with residency obligation can sponsor. A PR who is not in compliance with RO cannot. This has been repeated several times in this thread and others.

You should probably drop the concept of 'valid PR status' as one can be a PR that has not been taken away (it is 'valid' in some senses and can remain in Canada, work, etc, until that status is taken away) and yet not be in compliance with RO (hence not valid in some other senses).

We do not know what your lawyer said but let's assume there was a misunderstanding on this point.

As for the 730 days: a PR who has just arrived is in compliance with RO. A PR who has, say, 100 days total in Canada and one year remaining in the five years from landing is not in compliance and cannot get compliant in that remaining year. These are different cases. Read the residency obligation forum threads for more information.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Spinsoring a spouse is a privilege and is reserved for those in compliance with the very lenient residency obligation.

Reactions: Qwertypod

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
Ok thanks for the valuable information. So only way i can sponsor my wife is after putting 730 days in Canada and after that ( Provided i cross the border without an issue ) Is there any way i can bring down my wife on a student visa whilst i complete my 730 days in Canada so that we can be wit heach other together. We are alright with the option of staying 2+ years to get her spouse visa as long as we can stay together in Canada even under a student option. Is that a possibility ?

shehan2014

Dec 6, 2014
Spinsoring a spouse is a privilege and is reserved for those in compliance with the very lenient residency obligation.
Ok thanks for the valuable information. So only way i can sponsor my wife is after putting 730 days in Canada and after that ( Provided i cross the border without an issue ) Is there any way i can bring down my wife on a student visa whilst i complete my 730 days in Canada so that we can be wit heach other together. We are alright with the option of staying 2+ years to get her spouse visa as long as we can stay together in Canada even under a student option. Is that a possibility ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Report Edit Delete
It will be extremely hard to get a TRV or study permit as the spouse of a PR. You can certainly try. If she qualifies for PR on her own that may be your best option.