+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse while working abroad

501cdn

Dec 6, 2020
Thank
Congratulations. For others reading this, the TRV approval case is a bit different, as the Canadian citizen lives abroad and is well-established with spouse and (Canadian) children there as well, so not a typical 'spouse wants visa to settle in Canada' situation (they are not intending to settle in Canada in near future).

You need to find the closest visa application centre that is open:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/offices/find-visa-application-centre.html

You will be using the nearest location for where your spouse resides and is applying from, presumably Belize (per the line 7 in visa application).

I see the San Salvador office is 'partly open' but I don't know if they'll accept in your case. It's possible the consulate (honorary consulate) in Belize may be able to advise although they would not process themselves (Canadian high commission / embassy is itself in Guatemala). It may be wherever your spouse submitted biometrics.

Note that the companies that run the visa application centres have their own websites-
https://www.ttsvisas.com/ (seems this is the company that does this in the Americas, no experience with them - VFS global as below seems to provide some links to TT services)

That company should have a help line or chat line through which to inquire. They don't seem to have any presence in Belize though. What you want to specify is that you have been asked to submit passport and how to do that (these days, through courier).

For reference for applicants from other countries:
https://www.vfsglobal.ca/Canada/ (for most of the rest of the world, I think)

I suggest you also check the forums here for visitors and see what other applicants in central america/mexico are doing right now with passport submissions:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/visitors.8/

Good luck.
Thanks again.
I am contacting different VACs through the chat services however I'm finding that they only send passports nationally.

Eg Mexico - "Due to the pandemic, it is mandatory to send the passport by courier, you can send it with the service of your choice, however it will be necessary to pay for the service of the center for the return, however this service is only national."

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank

Thanks again.
I am contacting different VACs through the chat services however I'm finding that they only send passports nationally.

Eg Mexico - "Due to the pandemic, it is mandatory to send the passport by courier, you can send it with the service of your choice, however it will be necessary to pay for the service of the center for the return, however this service is only national."
Don't know what to suggest. Perhaps the consulate? Surely they can't mean they just won't issue for residents of Belize. YOu could also try IRCC direct but getting through may be difficult. At least it sounds like it's not urgent for you.

Reactions: 501cdn

501cdn

Dec 6, 2020
Don't know what to suggest. Perhaps the consulate? Surely they can't mean they just won't issue for residents of Belize. YOu could also try IRCC direct but getting through may be difficult. At least it sounds like it's not urgent for you.
I was able to get through to IRCC Mexico directly and they replied back that we can send them the package directly with a pre-paid return envelope. So problem solved. Thanks again for your help!

From what I understand, the spouse of a Canadian citizen does not need any travel authorization/exception letter to travel to Canada. We just need to bring along proof of relationship. We have our marriage certificate, my citizenship card and childrens birth certificates and citizenship certificates.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was able to get through to IRCC Mexico directly and they replied back that we can send them the package directly with a pre-paid return envelope. So problem solved. Thanks again for your help!

From what I understand, the spouse of a Canadian citizen does not need any travel authorization/exception letter to travel to Canada. We just need to bring along proof of relationship. We have our marriage certificate, my citizenship card and childrens birth certificates and citizenship certificates.
Congratulations. Odd the instructions didn't say more.

Yes you don't need authorisation in advance. You will need covid test and isolation plan and something called the arrive can app or similar. But also check with airline in advance, not all airlines are on the same page in terms of requirements.

501cdn

Dec 6, 2020
Congratulations. Odd the instructions didn't say more.

Yes you don't need authorisation in advance. You will need covid test and isolation plan and something called the arrive can app or similar. But also check with airline in advance, not all airlines are on the same page in terms of requirements.
The emailed instructions added that we should include a copy of the request letter, original passport, pre-paid return envelope and a copy of that email which was requesting it directly to the embassy.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
The emailed instructions added that we should include a copy of the request letter, original passport, pre-paid return envelope and a copy of that email which was requesting it directly to the embassy.
I was only referring to steps needed to travel to Canada once you get the visa