+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

immirohn

Newbie
Sep 27, 2026
3
0
Hi everyone, I’m a Canadian citizen currently in India with my wife and preparing an outland spousal sponsorship application. I have been outside Canada since July 2025 for travel and work and got married in December during that time, including spending time in Spain on a Nomad Visa, and returned to India in September 2026.

I plan to return to Canada in February 2027 and settle there with my wife. I have maintained my Canadian ties, including active bank accounts, filing my taxes, and maintaining a valid driver’s licence. However, I do not currently have a job or property in Canada.

I have a few questions about the application:
  1. Could the length of time I have been outside Canada affect my eligibility to sponsor my wife or create concerns with the application?
  2. I am currently in India, but my wife and I are temporarily living in different cities because of her work commitments. We meet when we can. Could living at separate addresses cause any concerns with the application?
  3. We maintain regular communication through WhatsApp and have call/message records. We also travelled together internationally for about 10 days. Is this type of evidence generally sufficient to demonstrate that we have maintained an ongoing relationship while living apart?
  4. How should I answer IMM 5532E, Part C, Q3: “Are you living together now?" Yes or No? We have lived together while travelling, but currently live separately in India due to her work.

    I’d appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt with a similar situation.
 
Hi everyone, I’m a Canadian citizen currently in India with my wife and preparing an outland spousal sponsorship application. I have been outside Canada since July 2025 for travel and work and got married in December during that time, including spending time in Spain on a Nomad Visa, and returned to India in September 2026.

I plan to return to Canada in February 2027 and settle there with my wife. I have maintained my Canadian ties, including active bank accounts, filing my taxes, and maintaining a valid driver’s licence. However, I do not currently have a job or property in Canada.

I have a few questions about the application:
  1. Could the length of time I have been outside Canada affect my eligibility to sponsor my wife or create concerns with the application?
  2. I am currently in India, but my wife and I are temporarily living in different cities because of her work commitments. We meet when we can. Could living at separate addresses cause any concerns with the application?
  3. We maintain regular communication through WhatsApp and have call/message records. We also travelled together internationally for about 10 days. Is this type of evidence generally sufficient to demonstrate that we have maintained an ongoing relationship while living apart?
  4. How should I answer IMM 5532E, Part C, Q3: “Are you living together now?" Yes or No? We have lived together while travelling, but currently live separately in India due to her work.

    I’d appreciate advice from anyone who has dealt with a similar situation.

1. You will need concrete proof that you intend to move to Canada to sponsor your spouse. If you will be moving back to Canada in February I would plan on updating your file with proof of employment, proof of housing, other bills, etc.
2. Would explain why you aren’t living in the same place. As long as you have sufficient time spent together in person shouldn’t be an issue. Are you saying you spent the majority of the time since you got married living apart while you traveled?
3. Assume you have spent substantially more time living together in India than the 10 days. If not yes that may appear strange if you decided to get married with no intention of spending much time together for the next year.
4. Be honest the answer is no.
 
1. You will need concrete proof that you intend to move to Canada to sponsor your spouse. If you will be moving back to Canada in February I would plan on updating your file with proof of employment, proof of housing, other bills, etc.
2. Would explain why you aren’t living in the same place. As long as you have sufficient time spent together in person shouldn’t be an issue. Are you saying you spent the majority of the time since you got married living apart while you traveled?
3. Assume you have spent substantially more time living together in India than the 10 days. If not yes that may appear strange if you decided to get married with no intention of spending much time together for the next year.
4. Be honest the answer is no.
1. "Concrete proof" isn't required. Only a plan to reside in Canada is required (job search, accommodation inquiries, etc).

  • If you’re a Canadian citizenliving outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the people you’re sponsoring become permanent residents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...use-partner-children/eligibility.html#wb-cont
 
1. "Concrete proof" isn't required. Only a plan to reside in Canada is required (job search, accommodation inquiries, etc).

  • If you’re a Canadian citizenliving outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the people you’re sponsoring become permanent residents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...use-partner-children/eligibility.html#wb-cont
While I agree with this overall, it seems that more often now, IRCC is following up during the processing to request more information - and it seems likely that what they're looking for is evidence that planning has continued.

In other words, an update - likely because they're assuming that it's fairly easy to gin up 'a plan' by doing some searches etc., and just submit that. And what they want to see is that the couple has continued to plan (because that's what a couple that's actually 'planning' a move would do).

In other words: 1) submit whatever you can to demonstrate you intend to move to Canada in the next 6-16 months, and then 2) continue to accumulate more concrete evidence that the plans are being turned into actual preparations.

I'm being purposefully vague on what 'concrete' means here by just saying 'more concrete.'

I'd also suggest all applicants consider that the absolute best way for the sponsor to demonstrate their seriousness about returning to Canada is ... to actually do so. If the couple can do this, plan a move during the process (eg six months), then do it, and update IRCC with info of the sponsor having settled in Canada. That will put any questions about 'intent' to bed quickly.
 
1. "Concrete proof" isn't required. Only a plan to reside in Canada is required (job search, accommodation inquiries, etc).

  • If you’re a Canadian citizenliving outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when the people you’re sponsoring become permanent residents.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigratio...use-partner-children/eligibility.html#wb-cont

Although not clearly listed IRCC has seen too many people not actually settle in Canada so in practice now seems to require more concrete proof versus just search results or basic inquiries. Many may be surprised when IRCC follows up asking for more evidence of their move so best to plan in advance expecting that this will be a request and if possible move to Canada during processing.
 
Thanks all for the clarification.
I do have documentation showing funds in my Canadian bank accounts, confirmed flight tickets, a valid driver’s licence, and I’m already arranging accommodation with a lease starting in February 2027. I just don’t have Canadian employment at the moment, as I’m currently in India. Would it be ideal to submit updated proof to settle in Canada with like employment and other things through the IRCC webform?


@canuck78 We have spent plenty of time together throughout our relationship. The 10 days I mentioned was specifically the trip we took together while I was away from her.
 
Thanks all for the clarification.
I do have documentation showing funds in my Canadian bank accounts, confirmed flight tickets, a valid driver’s licence, and I’m already arranging accommodation with a lease starting in February 2027. I just don’t have Canadian employment at the moment, as I’m currently in India. Would it be ideal to submit updated proof to settle in Canada with like employment and other things through the IRCC webform?
Submit the things that you have (it's a good start, esp if eg you have a lease), and be prepared to respond when/if they ask for more.

As for updating by webform: if you return to Canada before you get a request, yes, absolutely.

Other things: use your judgment, personally I'd not update them with minor things. Employment? I don't know - perhaps if there is a contract and a specific start date that's soon, but then, updating once arrived and started working would be even better.