+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Spouse From Outside of Canada

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

I am living and working in the USA, on Work Visa. I got my Canadian PR for 5 years and I did my Landing, last year April. Since then, I am still living here in the USA, with the intent to move to Canada, January 2018.

I got married 3 months ago and my wife has come to the US, on a dependent visa. I had barely started to work on her application for spouse sponsorship, until I read in the Guide 5289, where it said:

"Note: Permanent residents living abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be living abroad."

Now, I am in a fix and actually do not know what to do. I cannot just leave her and move to Canada and ask her to live in the USA on her own, while the application process is underway. Just wanted to post this out here and see what the community members have to advice on an issue like this.

Thank You for your support!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

I am living and working in the USA, on Work Visa. I got my Canadian PR for 5 years and I did my Landing, last year April. Since then, I am still living here in the USA, with the intent to move to Canada, January 2018.

I got married 3 months ago and my wife has come to the US, on a dependent visa. I had barely started to work on her application for spouse sponsorship, until I read in the Guide 5289, where it said:

"Note: Permanent residents living abroad may not sponsor from outside of Canada. Canadian citizens travelling as tourists are not considered to be living abroad."

Now, I am in a fix and actually do not know what to do. I cannot just leave her and move to Canada and ask her to live in the USA on her own, while the application process is underway. Just wanted to post this out here and see what the community members have to advice on an issue like this.

Thank You for your support!
Hi

As a PR, you must be in Canada to sponsor her. There is no exception to this.

She can apply for a TRV. If approved, she can come to Canada as a visitor and you can apply inland. This will allow her to apply for an Open Work Permit. If she cannot get a TRV, then you will unfortunately need to be apart during the sponsorship process.