+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Spouse from Japan

ncityal

Jun 5, 2018
Hello,

My wife is from Japan and I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions. She is living with me in Canada on a student visa that will expire in October. We have been married since April 2018.

1) Do I need to complete her police check before or after I submit the application? Does this check need to be completed in Japan or can it be done in Canada?

2) When her visa expires in November, will it be a problem if she returns to Canada as a visitor?

3) Any other advice regarding Family Sponsorship of a Japanese spouse is appreciated.

Thank you for your help!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

My wife is from Japan and I was hoping someone could help me with a few questions. She is living with me in Canada on a student visa that will expire in October. We have been married since April 2018.

1) Do I need to complete her police check before or after I submit the application? Does this check need to be completed in Japan or can it be done in Canada?

2) When her visa expires in November, will it be a problem if she returns to Canada as a visitor?

3) Any other advice regarding Family Sponsorship of a Japanese spouse is appreciated.

Thank you for your help!
Hi

1. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how/japan.html

How to obtain a police certificate – Japan

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence?
No. Citizenship and Immigration Canada will send you a letter requesting a police certificate after you send your Application for Permanent Residence. You must bring that letter when you apply for a Police Certificate.

2. She doesn't need to leave. Prior to her study permit expiring, she can apply to change her status to visitor. Alternatively, if you apply for sponsorship inland soon and include an OWP app, the OWP should be issued within 3-4 months.

ncityal

Jun 5, 2018
Great thank you! We need to be able to travel back and forth from Japan, so I don't think she can apply for OWP. How does she change her status to visitor without leaving Canada?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Great thank you! We need to be able to travel back and forth from Japan, so I don't think she can apply for OWP. How does she change her status to visitor without leaving Canada?
No, she can't apply for the OWP with an outland app.

Application to Change conditions and extend stay as a visitor.