+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring spouse, background and police cert. for all family members?

Qwijebo

Mar 13, 2018

My spouse and I just received the next step in permanent residency process, the background check and police certificate, my spouse has two adult children in the US both of whom have jobs etc and schooling and living on their own, are the required to also do a background check and police certificate even if they won't be moving up here, as they have their own lives etc? This makes no sense in the application. (if applicable) it says for the background check. I cannot get a steady answer. This seems like such a hassle.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

My spouse and I just received the next step in permanent residency process, the background check and police certificate, my spouse has two adult children in the US both of whom have jobs etc and schooling and living on their own, are the required to also do a background check and police certificate even if they won't be moving up here, as they have their own lives etc? This makes no sense in the application. (if applicable) it says for the background check. I cannot get a steady answer. This seems like such a hassle.
No. Only dependent children (within the definition of a dependent child). https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/age-limit-requirements-dependent-children.html

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Were the 2 adult children been listed under FAMILY?
I think they should be listed in the "additional family" form instead.

Qwijebo

Mar 13, 2018
Were the 2 adult children been listed under FAMILY?
I think they should be listed in the "additional family" form instead.
they are listed originally in the application form for permanent residency, had to get their photos and information such as passport etc, but it doesn't seem like we should ask them for background check and police check, one lives overseas with a wife and the other is an adult in university.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
they are listed originally in the application form for permanent residency, had to get their photos and information such as passport etc, but it doesn't seem like we should ask them for background check and police check, one lives overseas with a wife and the other is an adult in university.
Because they were listed in the family member form for PR, they are treated as dependant children. Thus required all the information you provided and in addition the police check and the medical.
If they were listed as "additional family members" then these extra information won't' be needed.

The question is, are they actually "adult children".
Are they over 22 or if they are under 22, are both of them married or in a common law relationship. If they are both not dependent children, you will need to update CIC. So they should be removed from the "Family members" list.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
That doesn't make sense. Either they qualified as dependents and were required to be fully included (medicals, their own forms, photos etc.) or they did not qualify as dependents and were only required to be listed on IMM5406.

The married one is definitely not a dependent, regardless of age, and should never have submitted anything; they should have just been listed on IMM5406.

For the other child, if he or she is 21 or under, they are considered a dependent and required to be fully included in the app. If they don't want to be included, they need to get a notarized letter stating that they don't want to immigrate.