+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring second wife

Wakki

Champion Member
Sep 18, 2017
  • Not sure why you're fixated on this 5 year rule when the OP clearly stated that the friend was a Canadian citizen who sponsored a spouse in 2015. IF the friend had himself been sponsored as a PR (who then made the path to citizenship), then it would be not relevant now as the first sponsorship would not have been approved if he did not meet the conditions for sponsoring the first time around.
The only rule in play regarding the time requirement between sponsorships is the 3 year rule. The friend would be eligible to sponsor a 2nd spouse on the 3 year anniversary of the date in 2015 that his ex wife got PR.... which would presumably be sometime this year - in 2018, once the Sponsorship Undertaking from the first sponsorship has expired.

The separate issue has nothing to do with sponsorship eligibility rules but of creating an appearance of a marriage of convenience. Yes, some people move on with their lives very quickly after a divorce, but the friend will need to have built the layers of evidence that would support a claim of a genuine relationship to the satisfaction of the Visa Officer.
am not fixated on this 5 year.....you earlier commented on the 3 year not been the 5 year rule....am only providing more support and clarification to your earlier comment.

The 5 year rule applies even if you get your Canadian citizenship within those five years.

am only just supporting your earlier comment and clarification.........thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: V1612 and jordo

V1612

Feb 1, 2018
This has been really helpful guys my friend says he has a better understanding of the laws now. Thanks.

adk99

Nov 5, 2018
Your friend would probably avoid creating red flags in the 2nd marriage if some time was allowed to pass or to the casual observer it would look like a marriage of convenience.

I have also married twice and sponsored twice. There were no interview for the 2nd sponsorship but the timings and the relationship proofs and support from friends and family on both sides that we were able to gradually build up probably was why we had no issues. When my wife lands and becomes a PR this month, it will be about 10 years since my first wife got PR.
Its my second marriage but first sponsorship. As we applied as skilled immigrant and got PR in 2008. let me tell my story in brief that I am a man raising my 10 year daughter alone in Canada. I have the sole custody of the child and got married after 11 years. My wife is divorced too and she was married for 3 years. We met through our parents and so its partially arranged which then turned into love eventually. We talked for few months and then got married in December 2018 when I went to Pakistan after getting visa. I work with the government and also work with university as I have done PhD in Engineering. Its not easy for me to travel and meet her due to work. Although we talk hours after work in social media like WhatsApp, messenger.. I have provided them detailed paper documents such as Urdu nikahnama, translated copy of Urdu nikahnama and notorized, marriage certificate, boarding passes of my travel to get married, travel tickets, hotel receipts of both of us staying together after marriage, provided communications in social media, greetings in social media from friends, relatives, colleagues, government stamped invitation letter from her parent that I used to get Pakistan visa to get married, health insurance where I have included my wife, financial support copies when I sent her money , lots of pictures of wedding, reception, ruksathi, outings pics with families.. Its a true genuine relationship and the supporting papers are all there to validate it. We had to delay submitting the application in February 2019 as my wife had to update her National Identity card and passport to include husband name and also she is carrying my last name. We have also included an affidavit of name change because of marriage. She is a school teacher so her experience letter also states the name of spouse. Honestly I don't know what to say an

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Its my second marriage but first sponsorship. As we applied as skilled immigrant and got PR in 2008. let me tell my story in brief that I am a man raising my 10 year daughter alone in Canada. I have the sole custody of the child and got married after 11 years. My wife is divorced too and she was married for 3 years. We met through our parents and so its partially arranged which then turned into love eventually. We talked for few months and then got married in December 2018 when I went to Pakistan after getting visa. I work with the government and also work with university as I have done PhD in Engineering. Its not easy for me to travel and meet her due to work. Although we talk hours after work in social media like WhatsApp, messenger.. I have provided them detailed paper documents such as Urdu nikahnama, translated copy of Urdu nikahnama and notorized, marriage certificate, boarding passes of my travel to get married, travel tickets, hotel receipts of both of us staying together after marriage, provided communications in social media, greetings in social media from friends, relatives, colleagues, government stamped invitation letter from her parent that I used to get Pakistan visa to get married, health insurance where I have included my wife, financial support copies when I sent her money , lots of pictures of wedding, reception, ruksathi, outings pics with families.. Its a true genuine relationship and the supporting papers are all there to validate it. We had to delay submitting the application in February 2019 as my wife had to update her National Identity card and passport to include husband name and also she is carrying my last name. We have also included an affidavit of name change because of marriage. She is a school teacher so her experience letter also states the name of spouse. Honestly I don't know what to say an
I don't think you should have any issues being approved. You have strong evidence to support your second marriage.

aazeb423

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2017
Nomination.....
20-Mar-2017
AOR Received.
10-July-2017
Med's Request
20-Sep-2017
Med's Done....
27-Sep-2017
LANDED..........
20-06-2018
Friends what if a person n his wife have got immigration together (hubby was principal applicant while wife was dependant) then both landed as immigrant inside Canada in Jan 2018 and then both went back to their home country n now both got divorced unfortunately. Can now husband call her second wife, if get again marriage?? If yes procedure n prerequisites???

Can he has second marriage and apply for visa for second wife without divorcing the first wife (as their home country allows a man to have second wife)
It has been heard that it is very hard to apply for second wife please advise to my friend as he is very much mentally disturbed and looking for earliest solution, thanks.

Similarly can his wife also apply for her second husband for Canadian visa if she gets marry??? If yes procedure n prerequisites??

Thanks in advance for your precious comments

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Friends what if a person n his wife have got immigration together (hubby was principal applicant while wife was dependant) then both landed as immigrant inside Canada in Jan 2018 and then both went back to their home country n now both got divorced unfortunately. Can now husband call her second wife, if get again marriage?? If yes procedure n prerequisites???

Can he has second marriage and apply for visa for second wife without divorcing the first wife (as their home country allows a man to have second wife)
It has been heard that it is very hard to apply for second wife please advise to my friend as he is very much mentally disturbed and looking for earliest solution, thanks.

Similarly can his wife also apply for her second husband for Canadian visa if she gets marry??? If yes procedure n prerequisites??

Thanks in advance for your precious comments
He must divorce his first wife before he marries his second wife. Canada does not recognize bigamy. If he marries his second wife without or before his divorce to his first wife is finalized, Canada will not recognize his second wife and he won't be able to sponsor her.

Same answer for the wife.

Reactions: YVR123

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
If the sponsor is divorced, he can sponsor his second wife. The procedure is exactly the same as any Family Class Spousal Sponsorship with all the prerequisites and procedures that apply to that class.

He cannot sponsor a second wife without divorcing his first wife. The marriage has to be legal according to the laws of Canada AND the country where it occurred. Having two wives may be legal in some countries, but it's not legal in Canada. Therefore, that marriage will not be recognized.

The answer is the same for the wife. The gender doesn't matter.

aazeb423

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-Jan-2017
Nomination.....
20-Mar-2017
AOR Received.
10-July-2017
Med's Request
20-Sep-2017
Med's Done....
27-Sep-2017
LANDED..........
20-06-2018
He must divorce his first wife before he marries his second wife. Canada does not recognize bigamy. If he marries his second wife without or before his divorce to his first wife is finalized, Canada will not recognize his second wife and he won't be able to sponsor her.

Same answer for the wife.
I appreciate your swift reply. OK what next after divorcing his first wife how he will go for visa for second wife.