+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring questions

cmk2

Oct 3, 2006
I am a Canadian Citizen and recently got engaged overseas with my long time girlfriend of over 4 years now. We are contemplating of getting married during her next visit this December in Toronto at City Hall. She currently has a multiple visitor entry visa for Canada good till 2010. Once she's here and we've got married, I will be submitting our application to sponsor her as my spouse. My fiancee is currently working in London,UK on a work permit good till 2011.

My first question to anyone of you outthere is, do you foresee any issues with this plan? I believe this is the only way of getting the process started but would appreciate any comments regarding this.

Secondly, I understand from reading the application that the medical documents for her will have to be submitted once the process gets going. I was wondering if anyone would know if she could see of one the designated MD's in Toronto while she will be here instead of doing it in the UK.?

Thirdly, I was reading the clause for police clearance stating that she will need one. However, I am confused when I read that for people applying from the UK, they must not get this document prior to submitting the application. Does anyone know anything about this?

Finally, does anyone know if the waiting period for a spouse is shorter than for a regular family class application?

Many thanks for your help and feedback.