+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring PR for Parents and Grandparents- PGP program-FUTURE- for those who did NOT submit sponsorship interest in 2020

jcurtsy

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Hi, I was just researching (in May 2023) about how to apply for PR for my parents to bring them to Canada. I came across some shocking facts! I am summarizing here what I learnt, so some of you can save some time.

(1) It is not a direct application! IRCC first requires you to submit an "interest to sponsor" form which they will open during a "specific time period". That form is NOT always available. The last time that form was available was in 2020. Usually that "specific time period" that the form is OPEN can be as short as a few weeks If you don't keep checking every once in a while, you will miss that opportunity.

(2) Even if you submit interest during that "specific time period", there is no guarantee that you can apply for PR right away. You need to wait for an 'invitation from IRCC' to apply for PR. This invitation is your entry card to PR application process.

(3) Even though the "specific time period" is very short, there would still be about 200,000 sponsors :eek:expressing their interest t! Here is where it becomes tricky. Out of the 200,000 sponsors who expressed interest, IRCC will randomly pick (lottery) about 30,000 sponsors and send them invitation to submit their PR application. Only those who got that invitation can apply for PR. So the remaining 170,000 sponsors will have wait for the following year to try their luck on winning the lottery:)

(4) The "interest to sponsor" form was last available in 2020. It was not available in 2021 and 2022 and NOT likely to be available in 2023 or even in 2024, since IRCC was trying to clear the backlog sponsor pool from 2020. There is no announcement/hint from IRCC about when that form will be available in future!
:)
(5) IRCC website says (in May 2023) that "For the 2022 process, we invited 23,100 potential sponsors from the remaining pool of 155,313 potential sponsors who submitted an interest to sponsor form in 2020". This means there will be a remaining 132,213 sponsors who will enter the lottery in the second half of 2023.

(6) My estimation: IRCC website says that in the " Immigration Levels Plan-target # of PGP for the year 2022 is 25000 and 2023-2025 Immigration Levels Plan-target # for the years 2023, 2024, 2025 are 28500, 34,000, 36000 respectively." We should note that they only gave invitation to 23,100 sponsors in 2022, even though their target was 25000! So I would assume IRCC will give about 25000, 30000 and 33000 invitations in the years 2023, 2024 and 2025. That means about 45000 sponsors would still be waiting to enter the 2026 lottery!!

(7) My prediction (I could be wrong:)): If IRCC is following their existing Immigration levels plan, I would expect the "interest to sponsor" form to be open next time in 2026 or 2027. (I wish I had submitted an "interest to sponsor" form in 2020)

I would love to hear your corrections, opinions and comments on what I summarized above. Let us discuss while we wait for that magic form to open up.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Hi, I was just researching (in May 2023) about how to apply for PR for my parents to bring them to Canada. I came across some shocking facts! I am summarizing here what I learnt, so some of you can save some time.

(1) It is not a direct application! IRCC first requires you to submit an "interest to sponsor" form which they will open during a "specific time period". That form is NOT always available. The last time that form was available was in 2020. Usually that "specific time period" that the form is OPEN can be as short as a few weeks If you don't keep checking every once in a while, you will miss that opportunity.

(2) Even if you submit interest during that "specific time period", there is no guarantee that you can apply for PR right away. You need to wait for an 'invitation from IRCC' to apply for PR. This invitation is your entry card to PR application process.

(3) Even though the "specific time period" is very short, there would still be about 200,000 sponsors :eek:expressing their interest t! Here is where it becomes tricky. Out of the 200,000 sponsors who expressed interest, IRCC will randomly pick (lottery) about 30,000 sponsors and send them invitation to submit their PR application. Only those who got that invitation can apply for PR. So the remaining 170,000 sponsors will have wait for the following year to try their luck on winning the lottery:)

(4) The "interest to sponsor" form was last available in 2020. It was not available in 2021 and 2022 and NOT likely to be available in 2023 or even in 2024, since IRCC was trying to clear the backlog sponsor pool from 2020. There is no announcement/hint from IRCC about when that form will be available in future!
(5) IRCC website says (in May 2023) that "For the 2022 process, we invited 23,100 potential sponsors from the remaining pool of 155,313 potential sponsors who submitted an interest to sponsor form in 2020". This means there will be a remaining 132,213 sponsors who will enter the lottery in the second half of 2023.

(6) My estimation: IRCC website says that in the " Immigration Levels Plan-target # of PGP for the year 2022 is 25000 and 2023-2025 Immigration Levels Plan-target # for the years 2023, 2024, 2025 are 28500, 34,000, 36000 respectively." We should note that they only gave invitation to 23,100 sponsors in 2022, even though their target was 25000! So I would assume IRCC will give about 25000, 30000 and 33000 invitations in the years 2023, 2024 and 2025. That means about 45000 sponsors would still be waiting to enter the 2026 lottery!!

(7) My prediction (I could be wrong:)): If IRCC is following their existing Immigration levels plan, I would expect the "interest to sponsor" form to be open next time in 2026 or 2027. (I wish I had submitted an "interest to sponsor" form in 2020)

I would love to hear your corrections, opinions and comments on what I summarized above. Let us discuss while we wait for that magic form to open up.
You forgot the LICO requirements. You have to meet those too before you can sponsor. So estimate of those applicants that do get in on the lottery 20-25% aren't eligible to sponsor and the invitation is wasted.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I’m more shocked that you’ve been here quite awhile and were not aware you just can’t sponsor your parents , that I’m shocked.
And why would you ? It was never promised one would be able to sponsor ones parents when THEY decided to immigrate. It’s not a package deal .

Reactions: Buletruck

jcurtsy

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
1) I did not say someone promised me that I will be able to sponsor.
2) I had seen people bringing their parents here. So I assumed it would be approximately a 1 year process, as that is what it takes usually for a PR process. (examples- spousal sponsorship PR ; federal skilled worker PR). But I did not check the processing time of sponsoring parents, since I had NO plans to bring my parents here. I am not an immigration agent to check the processing time for all visa categories given by IRCC! (I am shocked that you expect me to have that kind of knowledge!). Recently, things changed inside my family and now my parents (both nearing 80 years) do not have any help. So I thought I will bring them here in a year or two! Now when I researched about it, I am shocked about the time delay and how this delay can impact my old parents. If I knew I may have to wait 7 years from the day I decide to sponsor them, I would have submitted an interest form in 2020 anyway, regardless of whether or not I actually bring them here! That decision of bringing them could have been made later, depending on family needs.

I’m more shocked that you’ve been here quite awhile and were not aware you just can’t sponsor your parents , that I’m shocked.
And why would you ? It was never promised one would be able to sponsor ones parents when THEY decided to immigrate. It’s not a package deal .

jcurtsy

Star Member
Mar 23, 2016
Yes, LICO, I forgot to mention that. Thankyou for reminding me. That should be my 8th point.

(8) Your income matters. A change in income during the wait period also matters. After you submit the "interest to sponsor form" and you get picked in the lottery and get your IRCC-invitation to submit PR application, the invitation will give you a short time period usually 1 or 2 weeks to submit the PR application. This application includes submission of income proof, showing that you are capable of providing the living expenses for yourself and ALL your dependents including your parents/gp who are getting sponsored. Your income need to be above the amount decided by IRCC (based on your family size) for 3 consecutive years prior to your application date. For example, if you are a 4 member family trying to sponsor your parents, then the family size you are looking at is 6. The minimum annual income that you should have filed income tax for during the previous 3 years should be above 78300 (LICO for covid affected years are lower- nearly 63000). This income can be the combined income of you and your spouse. If your family fall short of that income level in ANY one year (during those 3 years), then you cannot submit PR application using that invitation and you will lose your opportunity and will have to start all over again. Thinking of finding someone to co-sign your application to meet the income requirement?- No, only your spouse OR common-law partner can co-sign. Your sibling or your friend cannot co-sign your sponsorship!

You forgot the LICO requirements. You have to meet those too before you can sponsor. So estimate of those applicants that do get in on the lottery 20-25% aren't eligible to sponsor and the invitation is wasted.

Reactions: Buletruck

LolaPM

Aug 14, 2022
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share the petition to the Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship to improve the Family Sponsorship (PGP) program and reopen the interest to sponsor forms in 2023: https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-4385. I already received the support from the Member of Parliament, and now the petition needs to collect 500 signatures before June 19th to be presented at the House of Commons.

NOTE: Anyone in Canada can sign the petition, you don't have to be a citizen or PR. Here are the ways you could spread the word about the petition:

-Post on your Instagram
-Post on your Facebook
-Post in relevant Facebook groups
-Share the link with friends
-Share the link in your group chats

I would be very grateful if you could sign it and share with your friends and on socials.

Thank you,

Lola

harpreet8

Aug 24, 2023
Hi all,

I launched a very similar one earlier this year and the then Minister Sean Fraser did reply to it.. but they didn't say much, so it's good that there is another active petition - It's petition e-4180.

He actually said the process was fair... he basically lied in his response and refused to ignore the fact that someone could of been illegible in 2020, but eligible now.

I have reached out to many MPs re the status of the 2023 program, it's so unfair that they haven't opened the pool. My local MP (Liberal) is trying to get more information from IRCC, and we have many NDP MPs who are also pushing to open the form this year.

I have also contacted the Conservative party leader, and the shadow immigration minister is also aware of the issue.

I have been sending many letters and emails to MPs, please could you also do the same? I would be happy to share the sample emails.

Our goal is to reach as many MPs as possible so that the form be opened later this year.

It would be great if we can find a way to collaborate and make some more noise about the PGP program. I have another contact in Vancouver who is in the same boat as us and pushing for the form to be opened, she was the one who helped the original petition get over 500 signatures.

Thanks

Tisha2016

Star Member
Sep 26, 2016

Plus there’s are some idiots who clogg the pool by simply applying when they are in study permits and work permits or don’t meet the income. Some who don’t meet income get way some get kicked out with a visa refusal to their name.