+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring parents while they are in Canada

bi123

Dec 19, 2010
Hello everyone,

I am Canadian PR. Is it possible for me to sponsor my parents while they visit me in Canada. My parents are US greencard holders. Is it possible for them to stay with me (before they get any answer) after they get acknowledgement receipt from CIC? Are there any legal restictions? Since they are US greencard holders will they be able to visit me and stay in Canada twice a year?

I hope anyone on this forum with some knowledge can help me.

With thanks,
Siv

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As US green card holders, they don't need a visit visa to visit Canada and should be able to stay up to 6 months a year without breaking any rules.

chelley

Apr 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-10-2009
File Transfer...
11-11-2009
Passport Req..
22-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2010
Keeping in mind that a parental sponsorship could take upwards of 5-6+ years... They may encounter difficulties with repeated extended stays at some point in time...

bi123

Dec 19, 2010
Leon said:
As US green card holders, they don't need a visit visa to visit Canada and should be able to stay up to 6 months a year without breaking any rules.
Thank you very much for your answer. Does this mean that they can only stay in Canada for upto 6 months? What If they enter Canada and live here for 4-5 moths. Go back to US and come back after 1-2 months?

Peter Rabbit

Star Member
Apr 2, 2011
Why would one's parents have problems with the sponsorship process if they have numerous and long (up to 6 months) stays in Canada?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Peter Rabbit said:
Why would one's parents have problems with the sponsorship process if they have numerous and long (up to 6 months) stays in Canada?
You misunderstand. It's not a problem with the PR process. It's a problem with renewing the visitor extensions again and again for up to 5 or 6 years. It won't affect the PR process.

bi123

Dec 19, 2010
Peter Rabbit said:
Yes, but what If they want to stay with me while there case is processing. I mean beyond six months period of time?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply to extend their visitor status once they are 5 months in. Then they will have implied status until you get an answer. I have heard of people who have continued to extend visitor status for years but you would have to prove that you can provide for your parents or that they can do it themselves and they should have some kind of health coverage in case of accidents or emergencies.

GetUsHome

Star Member
Mar 24, 2011
Also make sure that staying in Canada does not invalidate your parents' Green Card Status.

Your parents can have their Green Cards revoked if it looks like they are not true residents of the USA. A long vacation can do this.

Reminds me I have to apply for US Citizenship.