+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Parents in 2015

little star

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
Hello folks,

I am excited to share the info to all specially NDVO office group. They have started sending the PPR request. We have received the request last week. Medical & PPC was completed in mid of August.

Thanks everyone for clarifying the doubts and supporting each other. Finger crossed and will proceed with landing process in first week of December.

Q: Do we need parents health insurance for the time as for OHIP it eligible after 90 days of landing. Any thoughts/suggestions.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
Opeyanaw said:
Can someone advise me on how to make mycic functional. I tried linking my mom's application many times and the system keep saying that they can't find that application in the system. If someone have experience something similar and was able to link your parents application, please share me your trick. Thanks.
I shared all I know about how to link PGP app to MyCIC successfully in our timeline SS. Please, read the last section at the very bottom of the INFO sheet of 2015 PGP Timeline Spreadsheet.

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
Do you guys know if parents are allowed to get any of the government benefits, like Old age security or something similar?

punchshp

Star Member
Aug 10, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 Jan 2015
Doc's Request.
April 2016
AOR Received.
May 2015
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
12 Jul 2016
Med's Request
15 Aug 2016
Med's Done....
25 Aug 2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
WAITING
VISA ISSUED...
WAITING
LANDED..........
WAITING
little star said:
Hello folks,

I am excited to share the info to all specially NDVO office group. They have started sending the PPR request. We have received the request last week. Medical & PPC was completed in mid of August.

Thanks everyone for clarifying the doubts and supporting each other. Finger crossed and will proceed with landing process in first week of December.

Q: Do we need parents health insurance for the time as for OHIP it eligible after 90 days of landing. Any thoughts/suggestions.
Congratulations!

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
sylvia27 said:
Do you guys know if parents are allowed to get any of the government benefits, like Old age security or something similar?
I may be wrong here but parents who have been sponsored are not eligible for any benefits (except free healthcare). This is mainly because you, as a sponsor, signed an undertaking that you would provide everything to them for 20 years and promised that they wouldn't need to apply for any social assistance. However, if parent(s) worked in home country AND contributed to local pension AND Canada has an agreement with that particular country, they may get some benefits.

Since OAS is not social assistance, parents may qualify for it; but it has certain restrictions:

If you are living in Canada, you must:

- be 65 years old or older
- be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident at the time we approve your Old Age Security pension application, and
- have resided in Canada for at least 10 years after turning 18.

Ref: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/cpp/oas/eligibility.page

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Another good news. Mom landed last month. Today applied for US visa in Calgary and got approved for 10 years with not much hassle. 3 simple questions mostly for me (sponsor) in less than 1 minute and it's approved. They did not ask or mention anything about the flagpoling. Didn't care how long she's been a PR or her job or anything.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
vnexpress said:
Another good news. Mom landed last month. Today applied for US visa in Calgary and got approved for 10 years with not much hassle. 3 simple questions mostly for me (sponsor) in less than 1 minute and it's approved. They did not ask or mention anything about the flagpoling. Didn't care how long she's been a PR or her job or anything.
WOW!!!

That was super fast. Here in Ontario, it takes months to get an interview date at Toronto, little easier at Ottawa though. But Ottawa is 9 hour drive from my city.

So, you were allowed with your mom at the interview? I didn't know that it works like this.

little star

Star Member
Nov 11, 2013
vnexpress said:
That's amazing, Congrats!!. I believe even you don't have PR card handy yet.

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
Rossei said:
WOW!!!

That was super fast. Here in Ontario, it takes months to get an interview date at Toronto, little easier at Ottawa though. But Ottawa is 9 hour drive from my city.

So, you were allowed with your mom at the interview? I didn't know that it works like this.
I searched for interviews last Thursday and the following Monday came up so just about 3-4 days wait. There are a lot of time slot and dates to choose from as early as the next week. But it is actually busy lots of people apply. I think Calgary is just one of the places that don't give people hassles in scheduling interview or the interview process itself. I was allowed to come in as translator but I answered all the questions on her behalf and they were okay with that. She's just there for fingerprints lol. If you speak Chinese though you won't be able to bring translator because they have Chinese translator staff available. Not sure about other languages. If you language is not common they will let you bring in someone to help with the interview.

vnexpress

Jul 2, 2015
little star said:
That's amazing, Congrats!!. I believe even you don't have PR card handy yet.
Mom had the PR card after one month so we showed the PR Card at the US Visa interview and they didnt ask for anything else. PR Card, confirmation page and 1 photo and passport thats all everyone needs.

After passing through security and all that, people are taken into the interview area. There are 3 counters each applicant must go through: document checks to see if anything wrong on the electronic form, at this counter they also check photo and PR Card and asked how we got that immigration status in Canada, next window is for fingerprints most people got stuck here quite long because they have to do it over and over again, then last window is for real interview only a couple of windows. they don't just ask random questions showing no interests in applicants. They ask relevant questions so they can establish the grounds to grant you visas (meaning they try to justify you for the visas) and they only reject IF they absolutely can't grant it. No sittings. All standing and moving along the line through the 3 windows until you're done. That's how Calgary works but I guess pretty similar at other posts. I heard US interviews are pretty quick and in many places officers show no interests they ask things to establish that you’re not qualified. Quite different here!

shampy2009

Star Member
Jan 7, 2011
After submitting eMedical Tracking sheet, RPF fees and PCC to CPC ottawa, I have got an email today "An officer will contact you if additional documents are required. Please ensure when submitting documents that they are still valid and will not expire within six (6) months as this will delay your application."

Hopefully they will be requesting passports? Did you guys have got the same confirmation? if yes how long did it take to get the passport requests after this confirmation?

Star Member
Dec 14, 2014
sylvia27 said:
As far as I know, no.

They can enjoy healthcare benefits and regular day-to-day benefits for seniors. But other than that, they're not allowed to apply any government/social security benefit until 20 years after they land in Canada.

Well, I should say, actually they can apply, but if the government find out, you the sponsor have to repay all money your parents have received. I believe this is somewhere in the sponsorship agreement that we signed.

FYI, the applicants applied on or before 2011 have to wait 10 years for benefits, who applied in 2014 and on the wait time is 20 years.

sylvia27

Star Member
Dec 9, 2010
741953 said:
As far as I know, no.

They can enjoy healthcare benefits and regular day-to-day benefits for seniors. But other than that, they're not allowed to apply any government/social security benefit until 20 years after they land in Canada.

Well, I should say, actually they can apply, but if the government find out, you the sponsor have to repay all money your parents have received. I believe this is somewhere in the sponsorship agreement that we signed.

FYI, the applicants applied on or before 2011 have to wait 10 years for benefits, who applied in 2014 and on the wait time is 20 years.
Well I applied from Quebec so the rule is still 10 years. But if I understand correctly they cannot apply for social assistance only which is different from other benefits.

OP_POP

Oct 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
my case was just updated:

Application/profile status Open
Review of eligibility Review in Progress
Review of medical results Passed
Review of submitted documents Provided
Scheduling an interview Not needed at this time
A background check is needed In Progress
Final decision Not Started