+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Parents in 2015

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
I have a question about sponsoring parents. A friend recently lost his partner and is now left to raise 20month old child on his own. They are both Canadian citizens but originated from different countries. They were common law. My question is can he sponsor the parent or sibling on his deceased partner's behalf. Anyone ever came across this situation.
screech339 said:
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately only he/she can only sponsor his/her parents. Not the common law's parents as they are not his/her direct blood relatives.
Can the grandparent apply for a supervisa?

My friend ideally would like his daughter's aunt to come and stay to help him for a while. The aunt in question is the godmother and it was her sister's wish that if anything happened to her that she take care of her daughter. Is there a way the aunt can get a supervisa now that the mother is deceased? By obtaining legal guardianship or other means.

What if something happened to the father, both parents were immigrants and have no family in Canada? The child would be an orphan in Canada.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have come up with a balanced solution: I will still send them originals of Option C but not with an entirely new application package. In cover letter I will ask them to help locate my package and put them together. That way at least I don't feel guilty for making a mess (sending in 2 apps) or feel worried because I did not send them the originals. Whatever happens will happen. I can only hope so :-[

My original Option C will be with them tomorrow.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Linden said:
Can the grandparent apply for a supervisa?

My friend ideally would like his daughter's aunt to come and stay to help him for a while. The aunt in question is the godmother and it was her sister's wish that if anything happened to her that she take care of her daughter. Is there a way the aunt can get a supervisa now that the mother is deceased? By obtaining legal guardianship or other means.
A person can only obtain a super visa if they have a child or grandchild who:

1) Is a PR or citizen of Canada
AND
2) Is an adult
AND
3) Meets the low income cut off through a job in Canada (i.e. Canadian income).

Your infant child cannot act as a sponsor since your child does not meet conditions #2 and #3 above.

Legal guardianship does not form a relationship that CIC recognizes for immigration purposes. Only legal adoption does this. The aunt cannot legally adopt the child while a parent is still alive. And even if the aunt could adopt, a super visa or sponsorship still would not be possible since the child will be an infant and won't qualify as a sponsor.

If the aunt / grandparent wants to come to Canada, the options are to come on a regular TRV or to immigrate independently (e.g. as a skilled worker).

gks_2012

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
screech339 said:
Government union's don't like new technology that can make their job position obsolete.
Just a change in the process of manual collection would not hurt the remaining process of human validation and further evaluation. In fact it makes their tedious task easier. I am not asking to change the whole process, its just the way they receive the applications has to be changed.

For e.g., CIC already does an online way of submitting visitor visa extensions. I did that for my mother when she came here on her first visit. I submitted the extension for her visitor visa for 6 more months on-line. It was simple and quick. It also saves lot of printing and paper. Visa officers receive on-line electronic version of applications and start their validation from their onwards.

gks_2012

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
Linden said:
I have a question about sponsoring parents. A friend recently lost his partner and is now left to raise 20month old child on his own. They are both Canadian citizens but originated from different countries. They were common law. My question is can he sponsor the parent or sibling on his deceased partner's behalf. Anyone ever came across this situation.
Its very sad to hear that. I would recommend them to contact CIC call centre and explain them the situation. There are cases where they give immigration on humanitarian grounds. But, exactly not sure in what kind of circumstances. Hope that helps.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
gks_2012 said:
Just a change in the process of manual collection would not hurt the remaining process of human validation and further evaluation. In fact it makes their tedious task easier. I am not asking to change the whole process, its just the way they receive the applications has to be changed.

For e.g., CIC already does an online way of submitting visitor visa extensions. I did that for my mother when she came here on her first visit. I submitted the extension for her visitor visa for 6 more months on-line. It was simple and quick. It also saves lot of printing and paper. Visa officers receive on-line electronic version of applications and start their validation from their onwards.
To me, I think the best way to solve the mailing problem is to conduct an online lottery queue draw. Everyone who wants to apply for PGP must submit their names in the for the 5000 picked drawn names. If you get picked among the 5000, you can send in the one PGP application. This way there is no need for first in line mail packaging sent. CIC will not be overwhelm with couriers sitting outside on the first opening business day of Jan. Everyone has equal chance and people in GTA won't get the advantage in first in the door mailing over those living on the opposite coasts.

Screech339

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
gks_2012 said:
Its very sad to hear that. I would recommend them to contact CIC call centre and explain them the situation. There are cases where they give immigration on humanitarian grounds. But, exactly not sure in what kind of circumstances. Hope that helps.
They can try on H&C grounds but it is usually mostly reserved for those whose lives are in danger if they remain in their home country or they return to their home country. They can try but it is one of the longest application process.

gks_2012

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
civic said:
I have come up with a balanced solution: I will still send them originals of Option C but not with an entirely new application package. In cover letter I will ask them to help locate my package and put them together. That way at least I don't feel guilty for making a mess (sending in 2 apps) or feel worried because I did not send them the originals. Whatever happens will happen. I can only hope so :-[

My original Option C will be with them tomorrow.
Hi civic,

I am not trying to be positive here but my gut feeling says that the immigration officer might look at your qualification first and decide and not by your Option C originality. In case he decides to move your case further, he might give you another chance asking you to send the original copy again.

All the best.

civic

Mar 19, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-M Inland Spouse
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gks_2012 said:
Hi civic,

I am not trying to be positive here but my gut feeling says that the immigration officer might look at your qualification first and decide and not by your Option C originality. In case he decides to move your case further, he might give you another chance asking you to send the original copy again.

All the best.
Again, one can hardly tell the difference between original or photocopies of Option C. It is a computer printout. I am sending again because I am not sure if there is any special hidden feature in the documents to its originality.

Linden

Dec 10, 2013
screech339 said:
They can try on H&C grounds but it is usually mostly reserved for those whose lives are in danger if they remain in their home country or they return to their home country. They can try but it is one of the longest application process.
Yeah that's what I figure as well.

I'm going to suggest they try a lawyer but there doesn't seem to be too many options other than trying through skilled worker or PNP route. Or is PNP now obsolete because of Express Entry? Hard to keep up with all these changes/

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Linden said:
Yeah that's what I figure as well.

I'm going to suggest they try a lawyer but there doesn't seem to be too many options other than trying through skilled worker or PNP route. Or is PNP now obsolete because of Express Entry? Hard to keep up with all these changes/
PNP and Express Entry are two difference processes and both options are available to those who qualify.

gks_2012

Star Member
Feb 13, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-01-2015
civic said:
Again, one can hardly tell the difference between original or photocopies of Option C. It is a computer printout. I am sending again because I am not sure if there is any special hidden feature in the documents to its originality.
SIN numbers wont lie. Nobody can fake it right. There are ways to find out the details using the SIN number. So, i don't think its a worry. But go as per your planning.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
screech339 said:
PNP and Express Entry are two difference processes and both options are available to those who qualify.
They are not separate. You must use Express Entry if you want to apply for PNP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
scylla said:
They are not separate. You must use Express Entry if you want to apply for PNP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp
I didn't realized they were tied together. Thanks for letting me know.

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
screech339 said:
I didn't realized they were tied together. Thanks for letting me know.
Even I was looking at EE for my parents. As both are educated up to masters. Issue is last 10 year experience requirement in their field not met
Other option is Startup visa. But here even to first put a patent in their name. it cost 5K & plus a real viable startup tech company accepted by incubator. That is lot of work.