+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring parents from US

Shrutz

Mar 21, 2017
Hi All,
Me and my mother are US citizens. My husband is Canadian citizen and we have 2 children. My husband shall be sponsoring me for Canadian visa. But I cannot leave my mother alone in US. I shall be applying for her supervisa but want her to stay in Canada for permanent basis. Hence I plan to apply for parents sponsorship as soon as I get my PR.
I had following questions:

1. The sponsorship requires showing 3 years returns from CRA which I obviously won't have. Do they accept IRS returns? Is there an implicit requirement that sponsor has been a PR for 3 years prior to filing this application?

2. Processing time is showing 20-24 months, is this accurate for US applicants?

3. Can I apply for PR while in Canada on super visa?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Only commenting on (2) there is no special priority for US parents they go in the FIFO lottery like everyone else. As for processing time some wait years to get the opportunity to sponsor a parent

Shrutz

Mar 21, 2017
Also, my husband can act as co-signer to the parents sponsorship application can meet income requirements as well as can submit CRA returns. Would that help in any case ?

Shrutz

Mar 21, 2017
Only commenting on (2) there is no special priority for US parents they go in the FIFO lottery like everyone else. As for processing time some wait years to get the opportunity to sponsor a parent
Thanks a lot for prompt reply

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Anticipate that your mother won't be granted a supervisa for around a year after arrival. CIC is trying to prevent exactly what you trying to do. Parents aren't allowed to move to Canada until they have been granted PR.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi All,
Me and my mother are US citizens. My husband is Canadian citizen and we have 2 children. My husband shall be sponsoring me for Canadian visa. But I cannot leave my mother alone in US. I shall be applying for her supervisa but want her to stay in Canada for permanent basis. Hence I plan to apply for parents sponsorship as soon as I get my PR.
I had following questions:

1. The sponsorship requires showing 3 years returns from CRA which I obviously won't have. Do they accept IRS returns? Is there an implicit requirement that sponsor has been a PR for 3 years prior to filing this application?

2. Processing time is showing 20-24 months, is this accurate for US applicants?

3. Can I apply for PR while in Canada on super visa?
1) No. CRA NOAs only. You do not have to have been a PR for the required period.

2) Assuming that you are referring to parent sponsorship, probably. It's continually changing.

3) Again, assuming that you are referring to parent sponsorship, yes.

Now, as said previously, supervisa will be at least a year. Longer if you don't start earning at the minimum requirement level.

Secondly, parent sponsorship is by invitation only and will be a minimum of 3 years away before you can even register an expression of interest.

These are assuming no viable co-signer.