+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my wife-to-be

mr_del

Jan 20, 2010
I became a canadian PR in Oct´08. However, I currently work and live in the US. I am getting married in March 2010 and after marriage will come back with my wife to the US.

I plan to move to Canada permanently before Oct´11 so that I comply with the 730 days in 5 years rule. I am not sure what is the best way to go about moving, given that my wife will not be a PR. I want to avoid the separation period during which I need to move alone myself, look for a job and then sponsor her. Is there another way out ? Here are certain things I have thought of:

1) My wife would like to study further. So I am thinking after we come back to the US, I can have her get a student visa to Canada and then move there with her.

2) Let her apply for a Canadian visitor visa. Would it be better if she applied for a visitor visa before marriage from India ? How long is the visa valid for ? If its only valid for 6 months, would it help to strengthen her case if she applies for a visitor visa again after the first one expires, because she already had one before marriage ?

3) Is there Any other way out ?

Any educated responses and ideas will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mr_del

Jan 20, 2010
I have one more option I have been thinking of:

4) I am myself interested in further studies. Is it true that if I enroll in a Canadian university as a student, I will be able to sponsor my wife without having to show employment proof ?

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
You can sponsor your then wife even if you live in the States, but you have to reside in Canada when she lands and you have to prove that you intend to settle in Canada for you to be allowed to sponsor her.

1) You can do this, but she'd have to pay outland tuition.

2) As far as I know, having had a visitor's visa doesn't necessarily strengthen your case, but if the visa lets your live together before the marriage that might help.

3) There are many ways out, but it's hard to say which is the better one. In any case, it seems eminently feasible for you to get married in March, sponsor her and live together in the States meanwhile.

4) If you're not employed you can't really show proof of employment. In any case there is no minimum income requirement for sponsoring a spouse, if that's what you wanted to ask about.

ohman4966

Star Member
Nov 15, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is only PR I believe you have to be in Canada to apply for her, only Canadian citizen can sponsor from abroad and show proof that you have intention to move back.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is correct. As a PR you cannot sponsor from abroad; you have to be in Canada.

ohman4966 said:
He is only PR I believe you have to be in Canada to apply for her, only Canadian citizen can sponsor from abroad and show proof that you have intention to move back.