+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my wife from the UK but I have no employment history for the past 5 years

trynasponsor

Sep 10, 2018
Hello everyone,

I recently got married in the UK. I'm a Canadian citizen and my wife is a British citizen. We are both in Canada right now. I want to sponsor her for PR. Problem is, I have zero employment history in the past 5 years. I was in school abroad and did not have any income. I was entirely supported by my parents and I am still living at my parents' home. I do have some savings ($15k+).

There are no kids in the picture. I have read that there's no income cutoff but having no employment history could be a red flag in sponsorship.

If it helps, my wife does have a history of stable employment in the UK and she is willing to work in Canada as well.

How should I go about getting this across on the forms? Thanks!

John013

Jun 17, 2017
The Netherlands
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Vienna
App. Filed.......
29-05-2017
AOR Received.
27-06-2017
File Transfer...
03-07-2017
Med's Request
02-11-2017
Med's Done....
06-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
31-08-2018
LANDED..........
06-10-2018
Hello everyone,

I recently got married in the UK. I'm a Canadian citizen and my wife is a British citizen. We are both in Canada right now. I want to sponsor her for PR. Problem is, I have zero employment history in the past 5 years. I was in school abroad and did not have any income. I was entirely supported by my parents and I am still living at my parents' home. I do have some savings ($15k+).

There are no kids in the picture. I have read that there's no income cutoff but having no employment history could be a red flag in sponsorship.

If it helps, my wife does have a history of stable employment in the UK and she is willing to work in Canada as well.

Just write a letter and explain, maybe also get your parents to write a explanation.

Reactions: Will_PA

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,

Hi

Many sponsors are unemployed/stuyding/stay-at-home etc. You will need to show IRCC that you can support yourselves in Canada without welfare. You can show your spouse's current income and income potential, your income potential, savings, family support etc.