+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my to be wife!

mj8748

Feb 18, 2011
Hi all,
Myself and my girlfriend has been studying in England and been together for 2 years now. I am planing to propose to her soon and hopefully if everything goes fine get married by the end of summer:-D I became a permanent Residence 6 month ago (landed in December and after living in Canada for 2 month and getting my PR got back to England to finish off the studies), currently finishing my last year of PhD in England and will be going to live in Canada permanently after finishing by the end of summer (Busy summer huh?:p). Anyhow, I wonder in your experiences how long does it take normally to get her to Canada if all the documents are in order. Also if by the time we are applying I haven't got permanent income yet how bad does this affect our case? Or if let's say by the time we start the application I've been in a job for only 2 month, is it going to be enough or what? If there are also some points that you think are necessary for me to know, I appreciate you sharing them.
Cheers guys,
MJ

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
It will take around 10 months or so through London - and possibly much faster if your application is thorough.
You don't need an income, but having a job would be good, even if you have just started it when you apply.
If you had been living with her for more than a year when you 'landed' in Canada, omit all mention of this in the application.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The reason why it is important not to mention it if you had been living together for more than a year when you got your PR is because if you had, she would have qualified as your common law wife and should have been included on your PR application.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Leon said:
The reason why it is important not to mention it if you had been living together for more than a year when you got your PR is because if you had, she would have qualified as your common law wife and should have been included on your PR application.
Yes, I guess I should have been more specific in my warning. If you had lived with her for a year before you got your PR, you should have declared her on your application, and declared her as your common-law partner when you landed. If you said you were single when you landed, when actually you had already been living with her for a year, you won't be able to sponsor her later.
So, if this is your situation, your best bet is to hide the fact that you had been living together for a year or more before getting your PR.