+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my spouse if we're both living in the US?

tsmitty14

Sep 29, 2016
Has anyone done this lately and if so, can you give me some feedback. We are currently living in the USA with both of our kids, and are wanting to make the move back to Canada. I am a Canadian citizen but my husband is not. My kids are dual. Thanks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Piece of cake!

Since you are a Canadian citizen, you can start the process now. Just submit the Outland application package and be sure to include evidence that you will return to Canada after your spouse has been approved for PR.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Most U.S. citizens are seeing about ~6 months processing time (total), since the applications are processed entirely in Canada (Mississauga and Ottawa).
This thread will be of interest to you:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/us-outland-applicants-thread-t106068.6855.html

Good luck!

zacklib

Star Member
Jan 29, 2016
Sral said:
How do you prove you're planning on returning to Canada?
Job offer from canada, job Interview letters, House rental agreement just to mention a few may be seen as evidence you're planning to retain.

Sral

Oct 12, 2016
Ok but if the sponsor doesn't plan on moving back until their spouse gets approved which could take over a year (15 months for Panama in my case) i wouldn't be looking for a job or having a rental agreement yet in Canada if we apply now and have to wait 15 months to be approved.

Is there anything else I can do to prove we are moving there once he is approved?

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Sral said:
Ok but if the sponsor doesn't plan on moving back until their spouse gets approved which could take over a year (15 months for Panama in my case) i wouldn't be looking for a job or having a rental agreement yet in Canada if we apply now and have to wait 15 months to be approved.

Is there anything else I can do to prove we are moving there once he is approved?
CIC is not looking for concrete information about resettling, since they are aware it is not possible to confirm things too far ahead of time. they are looking for a resettlement plan that makes sense. providing information about research done on the area you plan to live in, how you plan to find a place to live, industries or schools you're interested in, letters of support from family in canada that plan to help you get on your feet work just fine. this is a very common thing.

Also, note that the times posted on the CIC website for approval are NOT averages, so more than likely a person from Panama will be approved in far less time than 15 months. the "average" for most visa offices is 8-10 months. to know the real time average, find the thread specific to the panama visa office.

DBHC

Star Member
Sep 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2016
Doc's Request.
Requested 02-05-2016; Submitted 20-05-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 19-03-2016; AOR2 08-04-2016
File Transfer...
24-03-2016
Med's Done....
24-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
DM 23-06-2016; COPR 07-07-2016
LANDED..........
01-09-2016
CDNPR2014 said:
CIC is not looking for concrete information about resettling, since they are aware it is not possible to confirm things too far ahead of time. they are looking for a resettlement plan that makes sense. providing information about research done on the area you plan to live in, how you plan to find a place to live, industries or schools you're interested in, letters of support from family in canada that plan to help you get on your feet work just fine. this is a very common thing.
In addition, we started transferring money into our Canadian account as proof of our intent to move back.