+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

*****Sponsoring my son for PR - 2023**** HELP !!

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Hello forum members,

I would like some inputs on a sponsorship application that we are gonna submit for my 4 month old son.

Background - My husband is a Canadian citizen (just got his citizenship) and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. We are both employed and make over 100k CAD each. My son and I are in India (he was born in India) and my husband in Canada. The plan is to travel to Canada with my son around August 2023

My questions are
1. Can I apply for a visitor visa for him or is it better to apply for PR and while it is in process apply his visitor visa? Which one has a better chance of approval?
2. If we have to take the PR route, my husband would be the one sponsoring him. Should I be a co-signer? When is a co-signer needed?
3. Please point me to the page where I can find the financial requirement for being a sponsor
4. For point #6 in checklist 5534 (Declaration from non accompanying parent), should we submit form IMM 5604? I hope not as I will be travelling with my son to Canada.
5. If I don't have to submit IMM 5604, whats the way to prove I will be accompanying my son?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello forum members,

I would like some inputs on a sponsorship application that we are gonna submit for my 4 month old son.

Background - My husband is a Canadian citizen (just got his citizenship) and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. We are both employed and make over 100k CAD each. My son and I are in India (he was born in India) and my husband in Canada. The plan is to travel to Canada with my son around August 2023

My questions are
1. Can I apply for a visitor visa for him or is it better to apply for PR and while it is in process apply his visitor visa? Which one has a better chance of approval?
2. If we have to take the PR route, my husband would be the one sponsoring him. Should I be a co-signer? When is a co-signer needed?
3. Please point me to the page where I can find the financial requirement for being a sponsor
4. For point #6 in checklist 5534 (Declaration from non accompanying parent), should we submit form IMM 5604? I hope not as I will be travelling with my son to Canada.
5. If I don't have to submit IMM 5604, whats the way to prove I will be accompanying my son?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
1 and 2) Yes, you can apply visitor visa for him. He needs his PR in the long run. His dad will need to be the sponsor.
3) In the guide under "Become a sponsor", see note in this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility
4) It's IMM5533

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
1 and 2) Yes, you can apply visitor visa for him. He needs his PR in the long run. His dad will need to be the sponsor.
3) In the guide under "Become a sponsor", see note in this link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#eligibility
4) It's IMM5533
Thanks for your response.
Yes my husband will be the sponsor. I wanna know if I should be a co-signor?
I think IMM5533 is for sponsoring a spouse... But we are sponsoring our child.. so the checklist is 5534?!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes my husband will be the sponsor. I wanna know if I should be a co-signor?
I think IMM5533 is for sponsoring a spouse... But we are sponsoring our child.. so the checklist is 5534?!
No, you cannot be the co-signer because you are not living in Canada. Read the checklist heading again in brackets: Including Dependent Children.

I think you should read carefully the guide under "Become a sponsor", sentence by sentence:

Become a sponsor
You can become a sponsor if you are:
  • at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident,
  • living in Canada:
    • if you’re a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside of Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;
You must also be able to show that you can provide basic needs for:
  • yourself,
  • your spouse or partner,
  • your spouse or partner’s dependent child(ren) (if applicable)
  • your dependent child(ren) (if you’re sponsoring only your dependent child).
Note: In most cases, there is no low-income-cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships. However, if either a spouse or partner you’re sponsoring has as dependent child who has dependent children of their own, or a dependent child you are sponsoring has a dependent child of their own, you must meet a minimum LICO score, which is determined by the Canadian government each year.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What province do you live in? Are you aware that in many provinces your child will not be able to attend school for free or qualify for healthcare until they have PR? Was your son listed as non-accompanying on your family’s PR application? How old is your son? Your husband should start the sponsorship process now because it will take 6-12 months to complete.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add that you may also have lost your healthcare in Canada and may need to reapply. A valid health card is only valid if you also meet the residency requirement to obtain healthcare in that province.

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
What province do you live in? Are you aware that in many provinces your child will not be able to attend school for free or qualify for healthcare until they have PR? Was your son listed as non-accompanying on your family’s PR application? How old is your son? Your husband should start the sponsorship process now because it will take 6-12 months to complete.

We live in Ontario. If we were to apply visitors visa for him, then the plan is to start his PR application as soon as my son and I travel to Canada in August this year. My son is only 4 months now and we got our PR 3 years back.

So we have decided to submit our son's PR application ASAP and also apply for visitors visa so that I can take him to Canada in 6 months and not wait for PR to be granted.

When exactly after submitting his PR application would be the right time to apply his visitors visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

We live in Ontario. If we were to apply visitors visa for him, then the plan is to start his PR application as soon as my son and I travel to Canada in August this year. My son is only 4 months now and we got our PR 3 years back.

So we have decided to submit our son's PR application ASAP and also apply for visitors visa so that I can take him to Canada in 6 months and not wait for PR to be granted.

When exactly after submitting his PR application would be the right time to apply his visitors visa?
Does your spouse already have their Canadian passport? If your son is only 4 months your spouse must have taken the citizenship oath in Canada very recently. You can try to apply for a TRV but I would apply now because it isn’t guaranteed. If denied you can try for a TRP. Do you meet your RO? You also want to make sure you leave buffer time if you need to leave Canada in the next few years and remain compliant with your RO. Are you both living abroad at the moment or is your spouse living in Canada full-time?

NiVish

Star Member
Dec 19, 2016
Does your spouse already have their Canadian passport? If your son is only 4 months your spouse must have taken the citizenship oath in Canada very recently. You can try to apply for a TRV but I would apply now because it isn’t guaranteed. If denied you can try for a TRP. Do you meet your RO? You also want to make sure you leave buffer time if you need to leave Canada in the next few years and remain compliant with your RO. Are you both living abroad at the moment or is your spouse living in Canada full-time?
Hi there, Thanks for the reply. My husband got his citizenship after our son's birth about 2 months back. We both live in Canada full time. He is in Canada now. I am in India came for my child's birth and planning to leave once we get immigration sorted out for our baby.