+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my sister

James John

Jul 18, 2014
Up until 2020 it was open every year with hundreds of thousands of profiles submitted. With Covid, IRCC decided to only pick from 2020 and has been doing that every year since then. LICO for 2022 for 4 people is $64k and LICO for 2023 is not yet announced. LICO must be met consecutively so if you don’t meet it one year, the three years starts again. So if you didn’t meet LICO in 2027 and it opens in 2028, you would not be eligible.

Your sister would not be eligible in a couple of years. Your parents also have to pass the medical. This is a big decision and many people when they move to Canada just assume parents can move with them very quickly. That is not the case. If you meet LICO then they can apply for supervisas (pass medical, one year health insurance) and stay up to 10 years. They cannot work or access provincial healthcare/social services.
Let us say that I met the LICO and was able to "Show Interest". Do I still need to meet the LICO the 3 years prior to getting invited or that would not matter? Also why does the Canadian Government announce the LICO when no one even has the option to "Show Interest"?

Is there any other options in which I can bring my parents or sister? This option does not seem very appealing

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Let us say that I met the LICO and was able to "Show Interest". Do I still need to meet the LICO the 3 years prior to getting invited or that would not matter? Also why does the Canadian Government announce the LICO when no one even has the option to "Show Interest"?

Is there any other options in which I can bring my parents or sister? This option does not seem very appealing
You need to meet income requirements for the 3 years prior to being invited to be approved as a sponsor.

There are no other option for YOU to bring your parents or sister to Canada as PRs. However if they qualify, your parents can certainly apply for PR on their own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry.

Reactions: James John

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Options for your parents - supervisa, TRV or Immigraiton through Express Entry
Sister - TRV, study permit, immigration programs

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So 3 years before "Interest to Sponsor" and then 3 years prior to getting invited?
If the program opens again with current requirements, you submit a profile once you have met LICO for 3 consecutive years. So if it opens in 2024, you meet must meet LICO for 2021, 2022, 2023. Then you see if your profile is selected. If not, the next year if program opens in 2025, you submit another profile with LICO of 2022, 2023 and 2024.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
So 3 years before "Interest to Sponsor" and then 3 years prior to getting invited?
If you meet the previous 3 years when the interest to spsonsor is open, you can enter the lottery. If you got drawn for the lottery to apply, you again need to show income 3 years piror to the year when you submit your application. And you need to continue to maintain your income until the application process is completed ( 1 - 2 years in general) and you need to be under taking for your parents for the future 20 years after they land as PR. (e.g. they cannot claim any social assistance and if so, you need to pay the money back)
Your sister is unlikely to be included by then. The age is access as the application for PGP sponsorship is submitted. NOT when interest to sponsor is entered.

Reactions: Copingwithlife