+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my mother and autistic brother as her dependent

PWK

Jun 9, 2021
Hi all,
I’m planning to go for my Masters in Canada. I will be getting a 3 year PGWP and planning to apply for PR after that.

My father has passed away and I have a sister and a brother.

I’m eager to find whether I will be able to sponsor my mother and my autistic brother to Canada at any point in time in the above timeline I mentioned. My brother is 16 years old so he will be 21 when I complete my 3 years of PGWP. He is fully dependent on my mother and needs to be taken care of. I’m aware that I have to add him as my mother’s dependent but will it be successful according to rules as of now(2021)

What are the other options I will have if I’m not able to sponsor him? Can I have him and my mother on visitor visa in Canada? If so for how long?
Any other opinion on the matter is highly appreciated.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,
I’m planning to go for my Masters in Canada. I will be getting a 3 year PGWP and planning to apply for PR after that.

My father has passed away and I have a sister and a brother.

I’m eager to find whether I will be able to sponsor my mother and my autistic brother to Canada at any point in time in the above timeline I mentioned. My brother is 16 years old so he will be 21 when I complete my 3 years of PGWP. He is fully dependent on my mother and needs to be taken care of. I’m aware that I have to add him as my mother’s dependent but will it be successful according to rules as of now(2021)

What are the other options I will have if I’m not able to sponsor him? Can I have him and my mother on visitor visa in Canada? If so for how long?
Any other opinion on the matter is highly appreciated.
Thanks
You won't qualify to sponsor your mother until after you have become a PR. You must also get a sponsorship spot through the lottery.

Your mother and brother can apply for a TRV to visit you while you are on the study permit / PGWP. If approved, a TRV will allow them to come for a visit as tourist but not live in Canada. Generally speaking, visitors want to make sure they are spending more time outside of Canada than inside of Canada in any given year.

Once you are a PR and have earned sufficient income for three years in a row, you can enter the parent / grandparent sponsorship lottery. (Only a limited number of sponsorships are available each year and there are always more people applying than spots available). If you are selected, then you can submit the application for your mother and include your brother as a a dependent. If he is fully dependent on your mother (i.e. unable to attend school, unable to work, unable to live on his own) then you may be able to include him as a dependent even after he turns 21.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just to add, after you become PR, a PR or Canadian citizen spouse who meets the income requirement and willing to co-sponsor them would also be an option.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You will need to demonstrate that your brother will not be in excess damand on the Canadian healthcare system as well. But that's a long way to go.
That may be too far in the future to worry about since we do not know what happen in 5 years or more in the future. ( 4 years to get PR plus 3 to get the income requirement assuming that you can't reach the requirement during your school time)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Impossible to know what PGP will look like 5 years from now. Anyone moving to Canada should move knowing that parents may not be able to join them.

PWK

Jun 9, 2021
@scylla @steaky @YVR123 @canuck78 Thank you so much for your valuable advices.

I’m already having more than 3 years of experience which will help me in PR process so I’m hoping that I would be able to get PR in 3-4 years time.

I understand all the difficulties and ifs and buts in getting PR for them. Is there anything that you would like to suggest for me to do to increase the chances?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla @steaky @YVR123 @canuck78 Thank you so much for your valuable advices.

I’m already having more than 3 years of experience which will help me in PR process so I’m hoping that I would be able to get PR in 3-4 years time.

I understand all the difficulties and ifs and buts in getting PR for them. Is there anything that you would like to suggest for me to do to increase the chances?
Nothing at this time.

Once you qualify to sponsor them, you will obviously want to put together a strong application and it may make sense to hire a good immigration lawyer to help you. However that's obviously years into the future and you'll need to see what the rules are then with regards to family sponsorship.

Reactions: YVR123